• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CPAJay1221

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kurta arrived today! The work day cannot end soon enough.
Well it arrived today...but I was sent the jacket and not the Kurta...hopefully my Kurta is still around and the jacket can go back to someone who ordered it
@NickPollica are you guys missing a jacket in a medium?

wesleeatl

Reaction score
i was also sent the jacket instead of the kurta. literally same. jacket in medium but ordered the kurta in medium.. any one get a medium Kurta but order the jacket in medium instead?

dkboze

Reaction score
the jacket is one of the few best items of clothing i've ever encountered. never seen or felt anything like that fabric. @NickPollica what's the story on it? the cut is great too

Pums

Reaction score
Any update on the price of the military green Kimono thing releasing this week?

kevinfinnerty

Reaction score
Any update on the price of the military green Kimono thing releasing this week?

That's not coming out. Should just be restock on tees and sweats from last drop plus Kindered Spirits (All Caps + 18E) merch.

kevinfinnerty

Reaction score

Attachments

• D8892571-1A1F-481E-B7BB-219380A36FF1.jpeg
    D8892571-1A1F-481E-B7BB-219380A36FF1.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 61

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Would it be considered trolling to point out the similarities between 18 East (or "Eighteen East MFG" as it's currently styled on the website) and Story MFG? I realize this is likely down to coincidence/fashion more than anything, but aside from the MFG in the name and a penchant for South Asian-inspired icons/logos, there's often a lot of overlap in the product too.

Sure, traditional "ethnic" textiles are very much on trend right now. And ultimately there are only so many possible variations that can be made on the streetwear silhouette. But despite how unusual some of the fabrics and embellishments used on these pieces are, the more time goes by, the less distinct these two brands become in my mind. Who came first?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Story MFG started in 2013 but I haven't seen all their lookbooks so not sure if their style was always like this. Some of their stuff does look similar to 18 east but I wouldn't go so far to say they're copycats.

Its not like they are blatantly ripping off designs like fast fashion brands. They also seem to have other influences, a lot of their designs are reminiscent of Kapital and the graphic tees of Online Ceramics. Looks like they're using shibori dye on a lot of their designs. I really dig their peace sign tee on Mr. p and will probably get it.

I actually first heard of the brand from Kamote Joe, he wears it with Kapital. I plan on only buying 18 east and Kapital from now on.

brothersprout

Reaction score
Two completely different brands in my eyes. Yes, they use similar materials like hand loomed fabrics and techniques like block printing, but so do a tonne of other brands that manufacture in India or use fabrics from there. Their vibes are so different, like the Story MFG guy wanders the forest and sings to woodland creatures, while the 18E guy is down to wander the forest but definitely needs to get back to wifi by Friday at 8am so he doesn't take an L on the double knees. Both are chill and a good time, but no one is copying anyone here.

Last edited:

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Would it be considered trolling to point out the similarities between 18 East (or "Eighteen East MFG" as it's currently styled on the website) and Story MFG? I realize this is likely down to coincidence/fashion more than anything, but aside from the MFG in the name and a penchant for South Asian-inspired icons/logos, there's often a lot of overlap in the product too.

Sure, traditional "ethnic" textiles are very much on trend right now. And ultimately there are only so many possible variations that can be made on the streetwear silhouette. But despite how unusual some of the fabrics and embellishments used on these pieces are, the more time goes by, the less distinct these two brands become in my mind. Who came first?

I’ve actually had a bit of this conversation with Saeed from Story before. I designed the initial logo and branding as a placeholder when we first launched the brand, as we had just hired a graphic designer to rebrand roller rabbit and were going to have them do 18 East’s logo as well. We needed to get something done, so I came up with the bhuti block logo and then added the MFG to it because I was trying to find a way to make the words Eighteen and East sit on top of each other cleanly as a block. I hadn’t even heard of Story at this point. Shortly after our first collection came out I came across their crocheted scarf and realized that they produce the majority of their collection with a supplier that we were testing for both RR and 18 East. Then they launched a block printed shirt where they wrote “story mfg” in the same font as our first logo (though this isn’t there main logo). Even though we did ours independently and first, I didn’t want it to seem to them like a bite. so we started developing something new. That’s the Bagru Mountain one, which you will see on the main label of all our stuff soon and off the website as soon as I can figure out how to change it (real talk - the search bar where the logo is is the one thing one the site I didn’t do and I don’t know how to change that art - it’s been driving me nuts).

Aesthetically and production-wise, there is definitely other overlap, as I think we are both very focused on mixing handcraft with functional, outdoor clothing. But where I daydream about having a skate team, Saeed has joked with me about having a foraging team. He and his wife look at Patagonia the way I look at Droors. But the overlap is real enough that I’ve stopped following him, his wife and the brand entirely so we aren’t aware of what they are doing.

Last edited:

VinceCompost

Reaction score
A very informative and honest reply. Thanks!

But the overlap is real enough that I’ve stopped following him, his wife and the brand entirely so we aren’t aware of what they are doing.

This makes so much sense. Had to do similar things before in other (non-fashion) creative contexts. The zeitgeist can be a ***** to shake off.

By way of encouragement, I think that peak overlap was perhaps a few seasons ago and you're now both evolving in slightly different directions. ?

Maybe worth losing the "MFG" though all the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads