• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

briancly

Reaction score
Would it be crazy to have a pre-order program? At least on some hype-type items? Like, post the sample on IG or somewhere, let people commit to buy at full deposit (plus markup for the significant inconvenience), and order those extra.

I know samples and production can vary (lmao Eidos days), and it might sort of take away from the hype a little bit. It is kinda cool to see an item on IG on Wed. and be able to (try to but not being able to) buy it on Friday.

Anyway, just musing, haven't had any luck with 18East the last 5 drops or so lol, but I'm taking it sportive. FW is my favourite seasons anyway...

Things like goreckis, shelter shorts, nylon hancocks are all things I wish I could stock up on and wear for years to come.

Mrbutchsanders

Reaction score
I've got a general question here for anyone with the brown Osman jacket.

I have the sand tapiro pants which broke in very nicely after a wash or two. I wanted to break in my brown tapiro's and Osman. Would a Dry clean be a better option over a cold soak?

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the sand tapiro pants which broke in very nicely after a wash or two. I wanted to break in my brown tapiro's and Osman. Would a Dry clean be a better option over a cold soak?
To break in the gauze backed material? Hot/ warm wash, in drier on high. I personally do 10mins at a time and inspect it while in the drier the first time.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I do not recommend putting the osman in the wash. It's a tailored jacket and that will absolutely mess with the lapel.

We've spoke about it before but, with rare exceptions, we aren't interested in becoming a preorder business. The hat situation is a good example why.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preorders seem like such a hassle. From what I can tell it’s usually about 2 days after ordering that people start wondering why their pre ordered items haven’t shipped and start complaining.

This isn’t directed at anyone in particular or even this thread just a trend I’ve noticed across multiple Sf threads and brands.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Preorders seem like such a hassle. From what I can tell it’s usually about 2 days after ordering that people start wondering why their pre ordered items haven’t shipped and start complaining.

This isn’t directed at anyone in particular or even this thread just a trend I’ve noticed across multiple Sf threads and brands.

The last two preorder things we've done (All Caps BLM and the hats) have been insanely stressful.

platinumtooth

Reaction score

Absolutely agree with washing the pants, tho-that fabric has become my favorite thing to wear. Could not be a better name for those pants: EASY

Symphony

Reaction score
re: ordering, pre-ordering, and stock running out quickly

I mean, that's the game of jawns though.

I think of 18 East kinda similar to Supreme('s buying model) in a sense. Like, in the 90s when people weren't really ******* with Supreme outside of NYC/LA, it still sold out relatively fast, but stock + resell were different since it was only people that were interested in the brand and not trying to wear it for clout photos on Instagram. You could possibly stroll into a store and just pick up what you wanted, stress-free. Of course, once people started paying more attention to the brand, publications started picking up on it and pop culture started to refer to it more, everything changed for the worse forever (That's also because they sold out though. I don't see that happening to this brand).

My point is when things start getting more popular + you're still a relatively small business, it's going to take time to sustain everyone happily. It's something that you can't really deal with at a surface level because you can't truly accommodate everyone. Is it a hassle not being able to stroll into the website and buy whatever you want? Of course, but that's the reality of consumer culture in 2020. As the brand grows, I'm assuming the stock will grow along with it. However, if you're expecting something like J. Crew or GAP level stock, then you're gonna have a bad time lol.

And I don't think pre-orders work due to us being in a whole ass pandemic right now and infrastructure being incredibly fragile right now. I mean think about it. Anything can happen at any moment. For example, the factories can shut down out of nowhere. Now people have to wait however long, outside the allotted time frame, and some might ask for their money back.

briancly

Reaction score
re: ordering, pre-ordering, and stock running out quickly

I mean, that's the game of jawns though.

I think of 18 East kinda similar to Supreme('s buying model) in a sense. Like, in the 90s when people weren't really ******* with Supreme outside of NYC/LA, it still sold out relatively fast, but stock + resell were different since it was only people that were interested in the brand and not trying to wear it for clout photos on Instagram. You could possibly stroll into a store and just pick up what you wanted, stress-free. Of course, once people started paying more attention to the brand, publications started picking up on it and pop culture started to refer to it more, everything changed for the worse forever (That's also because they sold out though. I don't see that happening to this brand).

My point is when things start getting more popular + you're still a relatively small business, it's going to take time to sustain everyone happily. It's something that you can't really deal with at a surface level because you can't truly accommodate everyone. Is it a hassle not being able to stroll into the website and buy whatever you want? Of course, but that's the reality of consumer culture in 2020. As the brand grows, I'm assuming the stock will grow along with it. However, if you're expecting something like J. Crew or GAP level stock, then you're gonna have a bad time lol.

And I don't think pre-orders work due to us being in a whole ass pandemic right now and infrastructure being incredibly fragile right now. I mean think about it. Anything can happen at any moment. For example, the factories can shut down out of nowhere. Now people have to wait however long, outside the allotted time frame, and some might ask for their money back.

Obviously not an expert on the business side and the team all knows what they're doing because it clearly works, but again, this seems to be the growing period of 18 East where demand is outpacing the supply, coupled with supply chains having slowed down due to the pandemic. Selling out in under a minute is awesome but probably a bit more stressful. I think their goal is to ultimately strike a happy medium where they can sell out, but pretty much everyone can get (most) of what they want within the first few minutes, with locals having an advantage by being able to go in store when things are back to normal. Right now it's better to err on the side of less because as a small brand they don't want to be stuck with a ton of stock that never sells, and I'm sure they're learning things with these drops (regarding the buckets).

It definitely feels like the perfect storm though, with the brand picking up traction, being noticed by GQ, and honestly being the best clothes for WFH and running errands during the pandemic. What makes the brand different from streetwear brands is that it doesn't rely on the branding, but rather the quality of the garments, the designs, the vision, and how it all comes together. It's a bit disheartening to see people trying to resell for a profit, and it's nice to see that most people are willing to part with garments for retail plus shipping fees if they don't work out.

All things considered, I do feel like the people here are able to get some of what they want, though admittedly this past drop seems like more disappointed people than usual.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying to resell at a steep mark up before the product hasn't left our hands isn't something we'll stand for. I'm getting serious hate mail about the fact that our stuff sells out so quickly, and people copping to flip only fuel that. If we catch someone, their orders will be cancelled in perpetuity.

You should share the hate mail here for a laugh.

I made a scene when I didn’t get my XL yousef but it’s all in good fun.

although perhaps I should have soled my L yousef on gr**led...
:devil:

Pums

Reaction score
I'm not even based in the USA but hopefully, the next step is releasing some stuff exclusively for the brick and mortar. I hate how some supreme stores have nothing to sell.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not even based in the USA but hopefully, the next step is releasing some stuff exclusively for the brick and mortar. I hate how some supreme stores have nothing to sell.

If we weren't in the middle of a pandemic i'd love an excuse to drive over to NYC and visit the shop... maybe after the madness is all over. Too bad with the way the US is going it'll probably be another year or more.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
18 east inspired fit. Would've worn the army kurta if it didn't sell out *cough cough*. Wife's wearing the sister brand Roller Rabbit.

IMG_20200802_163525.jpg

IMG_20200802_164651.jpg

Details

IMG_20200802_163137.jpg

Last edited:

robat19

Reaction score
If we weren't in the middle of a pandemic i'd love an excuse to drive over to NYC and visit the shop... maybe after the madness is all over. Too bad with the way the US is going it'll probably be another year or more.

yeah I couldn’t make it to the store my last trip in February. Would’ve made it a priority had I known it would be a year or more that I’d be back

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads