• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preorders are something we will be exploring when it comes to unproven styles that we do domestically like tees and sweatshirts but likely not things out of India. That said, we have meaningfully increased our buys for the summer and fall on some styles, though obviously not everything (as you can see it’s not like we are selling out of every piece on every drop). That said, the size runs have been altered dramatically so there will be very little xs and s.

As for stock things, this was actually something I began working on on my last trip to India but was an idea we put on hold and then covid hit. Thankfully we did as I wouldn’t want to be in that inventory position right now. I think what will likely happen when things begin to normalize is that we may start placing two buys, one for the web and one for the studio. We’re still working it all out.

As for returns, we thankfully get very few of them and, interestingly, they are almost always the sizes that are the hardest to sell (xs and s)

hopefully you can still continue doing xs & s

ecerratic

Reaction score
I do find it interesting that the most returned sizing is xs and s. I wonder if it‘s partly due to people not being used to the more oversized/generous sizing after everything has been so much slimmer over the last while (other brands, not 18e) or they don’t feel like they can pull off certain pieces.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you are looking into this - but I do think a primarily pre-ordered item would be a fun way to engage the community. It could even be a higher-priced item that you want to make but don't want to buy a bunch of stock that sits on the shelf. Looking at other retailers, among others, NMWA, a pre-order is a fun way, in my view, to get a select group of people a fun product.

scubajose

Reaction score
IMG_20200529_134329_359.jpg

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I do find it interesting that the most returned sizing is xs and s. I wonder if it‘s partly due to people not being used to the more oversized/generous sizing after everything has been so much slimmer over the last while (other brands, not 18e) or they don’t feel like they can pull off certain pieces.

The vast majority of questions we get about fit are from people in this size range as well. It makes me think of my brother who is at the other end of spectrum being 6’7” - he is the most critical person I’ve ever met when it comes to clothing, largely because he’s had such a hard time finding clothing that fits him even halfway well.

briancly

Reaction score
I know you are looking into this - but I do think a primarily pre-ordered item would be a fun way to engage the community. It could even be a higher-priced item that you want to make but don't want to buy a bunch of stock that sits on the shelf. Looking at other retailers, among others, NMWA, a pre-order is a fun way, in my view, to get a select group of people a fun product.

I kind of like to think the hat was a test run for that. A good way to help out a business in need that makes good stuff, and I think it turned out pretty well.

platinumtooth

Reaction score

Also seeing on the BS forum that M/L/XL stuff is scooped up usually very quickly, if not instantaneously. XS/S/M stuff can take days or longer before people sell it. Whether it's via retail or secondhand, it does show that smaller sizes aren't moving. "Size up" IS A MOVEMENT.

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The vast majority of questions we get about fit are from people in this size range as well. It makes me think of my brother who is at the other end of spectrum being 6’7” - he is the most critical person I’ve ever met when it comes to clothing, largely because he’s had such a hard time finding clothing that fits him even halfway well.

Found that curious as well - do you see the similar behaviour on the other opposite end of the spectrum (XL, XXL)?

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah because when you are short, "big fits/ size up" doesn't always work, it looks sloppy in most instances!

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
it looks sloppy in most instances!

I think this is categorically false, but represents the mentality that the inquiries (and returns) derive from. Further, if you are concerned about looking “sloppy” than we probably aren’t the right brand for you. This is why it took so long for me to start making jackets again.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Found that curious as well - do you see the similar behaviour on the other opposite end of the spectrum (XL, XXL)?

I don’t recall getting XLs back in the recent past. XXL either really but that does happen slightly more frequently. Interestingly, we have had a bunch of requests for XXXL and I’ve thought about making 1-2, because the reality is that if I’m wearing XXL goreckis (which I do) then there’s a guy who likes them but can’t fit them.

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is categorically false, but represents the mentality that the inquiries (and returns) derive from. Further, if you are concerned about looking “sloppy” than we probably aren’t the right brand for you. This is why it took so long for me to start making jackets again.

what mentality is that?

I have plenty of clothes (from 18E and others) which are generous fitting and I enjoy them; what is categorically true is that fact that sizing up doesn't always work!

whether you choose to make XS/ S is a creative and business decision you have to make but you can't tell people what they should feel about clothes they choose to wear or not wear.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
what mentality is that?

I have plenty of clothes (from 18E and others) which are generous fitting and I enjoy them; what is categorically true is that fact that sizing up doesn't always work!

whether you choose to make XS/ S is a creative and business decision you have to make but you can't tell people what they should feel about clothes they choose to wear or not wear.

I’m particularly referring to the word sloppy, which denotes a very CM mentality and is at odds, I think, with baggy cargo pants and utility shirts.

ramdomthought

Reaction score
any more of that fleece from peru in the lineup coming up? simple and basic but have only taken that yellow one off because it got up to 90

Any chance you guys would do any of your embroidery in the form of a patch? lots of stuff i need to mend and love using old patches for it instead of fabrics

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads