• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1701 Bespoke Review? (Detroit)

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All, Sorry for the delay, many things going on these days! I have attached some pics of the jacket I ordered. All in all, I am very happy! There are a few things I would change of course, but nothing that would prevent me from going back!

Quick run down, Keith and Nelson are absolutely amazing. They LOVE clothing, LOVE geeking out about clothing, LOVE talking about clothing. The storefront in detroit is right down the street from the DIA (They will also do consultations and measurements art your home/office if needed). They also have an Annex office in Birmingham, but this is small.

I came in, took initial measurements, made design choices and picked out fabric (This was Loro Piana) 6 ish weeks later my jacket was in! We had to do a number of modifications to the garment, but nothing that major. another 3 weeks, and we have the garment shown here.

Things I love
- The soft Tailoring. My god, it it like wearing a blanket
- The ability to customize and tweak the most minor details without feeling like a burden. They love presenting ideas and suggestions
- Willingness and ability to make changes quickly and work if there is a design issue (to be incorporated in next piece)
- How close the jacket was after only the first measurements
- The construction/quality seems very high- I have worn this on a week long business trip already and the jacket never wrinkled and never looked frumpy

This I would change about the garment
- Sleeves might go up a hair(.5-.75 CM?)
- Jacket is a bit short (Lengthen by 1-1.5CM)
- might relax the waist a bit, there is a slight pull at the button
- move the buttoning point up just a smidge

They also have been expanding into ties. I have two of them, I took a few pictures of the one that I was wearing this day, absolutely beautiful and wonderful! One of my favorite ties! These are made in Italy and hand picked/designed by 1701 Bespoke.

If there are other questions, please let me know! Will be glad to answer as best I can

Marc

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

ericjens7

Reaction score
If it’s really bespoke then they did a poor job of fitting you.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it’s really bespoke then they did a poor job of fitting you.
Feel free to say more, this comment isn't particularly helpful or specific enough to be considered constructive

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Marc. appreciate the writeup and the photos.
I am guessing this is more of an MTM process rather than true bespoke, but correct me if I'm wrong. I think the jacket looks good, especially being the first order. From the first photo I agree with lengthening the jacket body a bit. I wouldn't raise the buttoning point; it looks good to me. Sleeve pitch could be tweaked but I think this is more of an issue on static photos than in real life.

ericjens7

Reaction score
My comment is in reference to the name which carries the word bespoke and the finished garment. A bespoke tailor should have adjusted for the gentleman’s low right at the very least. Sleeve pitch is off, back is long and judging by the photos I would assume that with wear the collar starts to pull from the neck. I apologize for an unconstuctive comment, it just annoys me that the word bespoke is so loosely used.

domenickb

Reaction score
Feel free to say more, this comment isn't particularly helpful or specific enough to be considered constructive

From my perspective, the back looks a mess. If this was fitted recently, then that bunching of fabric around your armholes would have been sorted during your second or third fitting. And the chest looks like it's cut a bit too large.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My comment is in reference to the name which carries the word bespoke and the finished garment. A bespoke tailor should have adjusted for the gentleman’s low right at the very least. Sleeve pitch is off, back is long and judging by the photos I would assume that with wear the collar starts to pull from the neck. I apologize for an unconstuctive comment, it just annoys me that the word bespoke is so loosely used.

Mmm. Understand your comments about the word Bespoke, but hey. Everyone else is doing it, why not them I suppose :) Sleeve pitch could be tweaked agreed might just be the way I am standing and such but certainly a good observation. I am not sure the collar pulls away, I haven't noticed after wearing it

From my perspective, the back looks a mess. If this was fitted recently, then that bunching of fabric around your armholes would have been sorted during your second or third fitting. And the chest looks like it's cut a bit too large.

TO be fair to the back, I did just get out of the car after a 45 minute drive. that may be a component of it. Will try and take pictures again not right after that. I am not sure about the chest, it feels good to me. but maybe not. fairpoint about the bunching. Like I said, there are a few tweaks, an I am happy with the jacket especially as a traveling jacket.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmm. Understand your comments about the word Bespoke, but hey. Everyone else is doing it, why not them I suppose :) Sleeve pitch could be tweaked agreed might just be the way I am standing and such but certainly a good observation. I am not sure the collar pulls away, I haven't noticed after wearing it

TO be fair to the back, I did just get out of the car after a 45 minute drive. that may be a component of it. Will try and take pictures again not right after that. I am not sure about the chest, it feels good to me. but maybe not. fairpoint about the bunching. Like I said, there are a few tweaks, an I am happy with the jacket especially as a traveling jacket.

It is obviously not bespoke but rather MTM. And at that, I think it looks pretty darn good. Any comments about the back seem way premature as we don't even have a picture of the back. The side view gives, at best, a fleeting view of the back from which little can be gleaned. I see zero neck gap and don't see any reason why there may be some in the future. Marc, wear your jacket and move around in it like you normally would. Then check a mirror. If you see no gap then forget the predictive criticism. The sleeve pitch does seem a bit off but not too bad for MTM. I would not raise the sleeves but would lengthen the jacket as Marc and Breakaway suggest.

And if you're related to Dr. Voorhees, dermatologist from A2, say hello to John for me.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This I would change about the garment
- Sleeves might go up a hair(.5-.75 CM?) Nah, looks great!
- Jacket is a bit short (Lengthen by 1-1.5CM) Nah, looks good!
- might relax the waist a bit, there is a slight pull at the button Yeahm maybe. :)
- move the buttoning point up just a smidge Nah, looks great!
View attachment 963922

I hope their business thrives! But you should have them do something about the creasing and crumpling in the back as visible in this pic. Looks wonderful otherwise! :nodding:

BlackYeti

Reaction score
This is not good work. The short length, super high gorge and soft shoulders make for a very unbalanced front silhouette. Then the mess at the sleeves and back. And why patched pockets with such a smooth fabric?

I'd appreciate pics if you made adjustments based on others' comments above. I also appreciate the original review. Have been considering 1701.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not good work. The short length, super high gorge and soft shoulders make for a very unbalanced front silhouette. Then the mess at the sleeves and back. And why patched pockets with such a smooth fabric?

I'd appreciate pics if you made adjustments based on others' comments above. I also appreciate the original review. Have been considering 1701.
I chose patch pockets because I wanted patch pockets. They fit well into the way I use and travel with the coat.

I have not made adjustments to the jacket as I am pretty happy with the fit and feel, I do agree that it is a bit short, will be adjusting that for the next jacket I have made from them.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
The shoulders fit you especially well, which to me is the most important part of the jacket. As you said in your write up, I'd maybe go slightly longer on the body for the next order; but I'd be thrilled with this for a first order with an MTM maker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads