• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

16 year old guy - how can I adopt a better style?

cruisingjoe01

Reaction score

My current fashion sense only consists of T-Shirts and sweatpants. Not really a huge fan of it and want to switch my fashion sense up a bit.

The reasons behind sweatpants are that I am a 37 inch waist while everything is 36 or 38 and also as they are comfortable. However, as I am loosing weight, they are looking ridiculous now. Too baggy and not at all stylish.

What are your recommendations? I am nearly 17 years old, gay and trying to take on a slightly more metrosexual style. I don't really know any metrosexuals in real life, so any tips are appreciated.

wyattkorb

Reaction score
look into classic mens fashion, youtube channels like gentleman's gazette to learn the basics of mens style and all the rules. Start investing in a real mens wardrobe and work from there

JettStyle

Reaction score
I think you are best off looking into youtubers who are speaking to a younger audience. Check out Alpha M and Teaching Men's Fashion. I find gentleman's gazette and RMRS very informative, but their style is more classic than mine.

Also look for instagram pages for looks that you like (that is what I did before I started my own). I have been into style for as long as I can remember. I am straight but I certainly define my style is metrosexual.

You can also find comfortable pants that are much more stylish than traditional sweat pants. I have a pair my ministry of supply that I like, but I am sure there are others out there.

cruisingjoe01

Reaction score
I think you are best off looking into youtubers who are speaking to a younger audience. Check out Alpha M and Teaching Men's Fashion. I find gentleman's gazette and RMRS very informative, but their style is more classic than mine.

Also look for instagram pages for looks that you like (that is what I did before I started my own). I have been into style for as long as I can remember. I am straight but I certainly define my style is metrosexual.

You can also find comfortable pants that are much more stylish than traditional sweat pants. I have a pair my ministry of supply that I like, but I am sure there are others out there.

Alpha M drives me crazy with his loud and in your face presenting style. I'll check out Teaching Men's Fashion.

Anything else? What types of pants/trousers would be good?

JettStyle

Reaction score
Alpha M drives me crazy with his loud and in your face presenting style. I'll check out Teaching Men's Fashion.

Anything else? What types of pants/trousers would be good?

I agree that Alpha's "shouting" style is annoying after a while. I also think he goes on too long about his video sponsors, but his style is more likely to be closer to what you are going for than RMRS.

Check out Public Rec's pants to replace your sweatpants. For dressier but still somewhat sporty check out Ministry of Supply. If you are losing weight, I would not spend too much on anything. I would check out places like Zara and BR for jeans and sweaters.

I think Zara is pretty good for fast fashion. Their stuff is definitely metro and the prices are good. Zara clothes are not investments in your wardrobe as they do not last forever, but that is not what you are going for at this point in your life/journey.

Stick with flat front, no pleats for your chinos. Concentrate on fit and have things altered by a tailor.

I have Chinos from Target that get tons of compliments. I doubt that they will last 10 years, but that was not what I was going for.

Check out my Instagram. (I am sure there are tons of other good ones out there also) I generally share where the clothes come from, so it might be useful to you.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tip 1: take care of your body.
Tip 2: fit is most important.
Tip 3: figure out who you are or want to be, then dress accordingly.

mlstein

Reaction score
The very friendly subreddit malefashionadvice would seem to be perfect for your needs. I'd check them out.

cruisingjoe01

Reaction score
The very friendly subreddit malefashionadvice would seem to be perfect for your needs. I'd check them out.

I've tried to post there, but the auto-moderator always closes my threads for some reason.

mlstein

Reaction score
I've tried to post there, but the auto-moderator always closes my threads for some reason.
If you think this was a mistake it's always worth messaging the human mods. A question such as the one you posted here is too general, though. Take a look at the sidebar on mfa and the "basic bastard" info. Once you get a start you'll have more focused questions that find their place in the simple questions & answers threads.

RHS2362

Reaction score
What Veremund said. Your style has to match your body and self confidence. If it doesn't make you feel confident, then it is not for you.

Then find someone in the public eye who has a similar body shape as yours and a style you like and use that as a base. As others pointed out, as you build your wardrobe, start with the standards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads