• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

150 lbs and 16% body fat?!?!?!

Reaction score
Is it possible for me to be 5'9, 150 lbs, and have 16% body fat? I'm a thin dude and that seems high. I have one of those floor scales that supposedly can measure your body fat % too.

Thanks in advance for your input.

-AJ

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
Is it possible for me to be 5'9, 150 lbs, and have 16% body fat? I'm a thin dude and that seems high. I have one of those floor scales that supposedly can measure your body fat % too.

Thanks in advance for your input.

-AJ

Those numbers don't seem strange at all.

scfdefinit

Reaction score
Seems accurate to me. Just because you're thin/don't weigh much doens't mean you have low body fat. It just means you don't have any muscle. I forgot where I heard it but I was told that anorexic people have a somewhat high body fat percentage despite being so skinny. It's the lack of muscle mass from being in a catabolic state.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to get my body fat redone. 3 years ago when I "thought" I was skinny, I was 22% body fat and didn't believe it. Since then i have lost almost 30 lbs. My goal is around 10%, hopefully I'm pretty close to that now.

rxcats

Reaction score
I am around 177 pounds and 15% body fat. I am 6'2", so I am not exactly fat. I hate to work out and I am 47 years old; I guess I'm lucky my body fat isn't even higher.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scales aren't terribly accurate for measuring body fat.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
Scales aren't terribly accurate for measuring body fat.

This in itself is quite an understatement.

However, 16% bf is perfectly normal / average for someone of the OP's stature. Rare are those who don't play competitive sports / lift / exercise regularly and still have <12% body fat.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ What he said. Sure, it's possible, but your scale is not going to give you an accurate reading.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Now...how can you spin that to get girls on Facebook?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have about 12.2% BF according to my scale at home, 6'3&quot; 170lbs. I feel like I am fat in all the wrong spots for being at 12%. Majority is probably all around my gut/love handles. I mean, its going away eventually, but I think its just kinda proof that the BF measuring pads on my Scale are a little inaccurate

neoweapon

Reaction score
yes, i was actually this weight at 5' 7&quot; a year ago with 15 percent body fat. this is not impossible.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
I am around 177 pounds and 15% body fat. I am 6'2", so I am not exactly fat. I hate to work out and I am 47 years old; I guess I'm lucky my body fat isn't even higher.

Thats rather impressive. I'm 6'2 and if I have those stats when Im your age I will be stoked.

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
I used one of those hand held BF detector things and i got 12%, 5&quot;10 and 170...the thing is I have a extremely visible 6 pack, almost 8 and barely any fat on my obliques

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Floor scales and the like are not necessarily all that reliable, but those stats seem perfectly normal. Some guys go nuts with the BF numbers. FYI, the American Council on Exercise says men with 14-17% are in the &quot;fitness&quot; range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads