• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

140 pound lost, should I keep going or do I look ok

Syl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
To tell you the truth, 5'9", 170 pounds with a 36" waist is still a bit overweight. I'd keep going. And if you don't already weight lift, which it doesn't appear you do, start; adding some muscle mass will definitely improve your physique.

Agreed. Remember, when you put on muscle mass, you may actually gain "weight" i.e. you'll weigh more but it's a good thing.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WOW...amazing.

Like others have pointed out already, I think you just need to lose a little just a bit more, but concentrate more on muscle definition. Already at the current stage, you do NOT look overweight AT ALL.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
awesome job man. As others have said, it's very refreshing to see some one confront and solve a problem on their own rather than blame other factors and cop out. I would agree with every one b y suggesting weight lifting. This will not only tone your exterior up, but help strengthen your heart, which could be stressed from your previous health condition. also, i would strongly suggest adding swimming to your exercise routine. It will build up lung and cardiovascular strength and really help you weight lifting regimen by stretching and toning your muscles.

photofabix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Serg
http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ bmi measure says your?
25.1 Just over weight, Normal is 18.5 - 24.9 Thanks again everyone for comments and or suggestions, it's greatly appreciated. As for my health, all things considered, I'm pretty healthy, the bad cholesterol level is low, the other normal. My blood pressure runs on the low side, and I have a resting pulse rate of 30 - 40. My only real health ailment is asthma, I have to get blood work couple times a year as they are worried about my thyroid, something called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis runs in my family. So far the levels have only been low a couple times, normal other times. I'm not on any kind of prescriptions, don't drink (used to socially) don't smoke, and never did drugs.

kman

Reaction score
hey buddy good job on that loss. that is really impressive, kudos to you man. i would keep going because from the pictures you look quite young and that really is the best time to get that weight off. you will definently be happy when you get that pant size/ bmi down. good job/good luck/keep going.

photofabix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kman
hey buddy good job on that loss. that is really impressive, kudos to you man. i would keep going because from the pictures you look quite young and that really is the best time to get that weight off. you will definently be happy when you get that pant size/ bmi down. good job/good luck/keep going.

Thanks, I guess I'm still pretty young at 32
rotflmao.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by photofabix
25.1 Just over weight, Normal is 18.5 - 24.9

Thanks again everyone for comments and or suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.

As for my health, all things considered, I'm pretty healthy, the bad cholesterol level is low, the other normal. My blood pressure runs on the low side, and I have a resting pulse rate of 30 - 40. My only real health ailment is asthma, I have to get blood work couple times a year as they are worried about my thyroid, something called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis runs in my family. So far the levels have only been low a couple times, normal other times. I'm not on any kind of prescriptions, don't drink (used to socially) don't smoke, and never did drugs.

Your RHR is in the thirties? Are you a competitive marathoner?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I was wondering about that myself. Especially for someone who was obese and not looking after himself i.e. poor diet and no exercise. Normal heart rate is 60-100. Less than that and you either have a very fine-tuned cardiovascular system (with a high stroke volume i.e. each beat of your heart pumps out a lot of blood) or you have some kind of bradyarrythmia/conduction defect.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
awesome job on the weight loss man. If your current diet makes you feel good, then I say keep at it.

photofabix

Reaction score

No, I used to be quit active before I got fat and lazy, that's the only reason I can think my pulse would be so low, I also asked my doctor, as the nurse seemed concerned, and he said it's probably from when I was active as well.

Before getting fat and lazy I used to hit the gym 6 times a week, mostly twice a day 45 minutes cardio on the Precor elliptical and hour of free weights. I think I definitely want to get back to the gym and work on this excess flab.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by photofabix
No, I used to be quit active before I got fat and lazy, that's the only reason I can think my pulse would be so low, I also asked my doctor, as the nurse seemed concerned, and he said it's probably from when I was active as well.

Before getting fat and lazy I used to hit the gym 6 times a week, mostly twice a day 45 minutes cardio on the Precor elliptical and hour of free weights. I think I definitely want to get back to the gym and work on this excess flab.

That's still really low. Good for you, you must be a maniac on the elliptical.
smile.gif

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good work, sounds like you had some good habits instilled in you about health. It's a shame you strayed away from them but I understand life can certainly crap on you that you least expect. Keep pushing forward, you spent all that effort to get this far, why cheat yourself out of the rest?

photofabix

Reaction score
That's still really low. Good for you, you must be a maniac on the elliptical.
smile.gif

Heh, I was.. I'd be lucky to get 15 minutes now probably, I rebuilt my mountain bike and been trying to do allot of cycling. When I'm not on the bike I do allot of walking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics