1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

13.5 oz Cone Mills Selvedge, Made in San Fransisco, and only $81? Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by SparhawkJC, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

It sounds like all fabric options have been released with no more new ones coming. Let the last-minute shuffling begin.

I ended up switching out the Black for the Overdye when a single one became available in a shuffle. I realized I was getting a black pair just for variety, not because I really liked black. The dyed weft threads would probably make the Overdye overall darker than the Black anyway, or at least close, but it also would be a little unusual to boot. So my order is that and a pair of the 18oz Super Heavy. I was hoping for a heavy slub to try out both at once, but this will do.

2. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

If you want the Standard, there's only one left, so grab it *RIGHT NOW* and then change your order if you change your mind.

They said to expect the waist to stretch around 1".
    http://www.weargustin.com/assets/img/GUSTINSizes.jpg

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm getting a little fucking sick of their updates. Any way to turn them off?

4. badsha

badsha Senior member

Thanks man grabbed THE STANDARD. THE CLASSIC looks good too. Now to dial down the waist.

5. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Way too many of them looked good to me. Deciding was a real chore.

6. badsha

badsha Senior member

Especially at that price. Maybe its a good thing I dont know my denim. :D

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Um, where does it say to expect it to stretch one inch??? This just says a size 34 actually measures a size 35" nothing here about stretch or am I missing something?

8. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

It was in the comments.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ith-d/comments?cursor=2190489#comment-2190489

That's common, isn't it? That seems to be the typical expectation, from what I've read.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  9. kiya

kiya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

A raw sanforized denim at the weight and weave style they're using will stretch 1" within 2 to 3 weeks and 2" over a 2 month period.

10. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

I pledged for a pair of the Japanese heavys... pretty excited as it will be my heaviest pair to date

11. trouble

trouble Member

Google Priority Inbox - only shows you important stuff unless you ask.

Also, in for a Black2 and a Super Heavy. Pretty pumped.

1 person likes this.
  12. tes1388

tes1388 Member

It seems that the weargustin.com website is down. Does anyone have a link to the fit guide that works? Also between THE STANDARD and THE HEAVY JAPAN, which one is darker?

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks Kia. Good input from someone who knows his denim.

Seems that Gustin should have some stretch guidelines as part of the fit and sizing if they want people to be satisfied with the fit after a few weeks.

14. tes1388

tes1388 Member

15. tes1388

tes1388 Member

Yeah, it seems odd. On the kickstarter page they say to order up 1 but if its going to stretch ~1 that doesn't really make sense. What is the return policy?

16. whodini

whodini Senior member

Not to sound snarky, but this isn't everyone's first part of raw jeans, right? I'm sure most would assume they would stretch out like anything else unless given evidence to the contrary because of the weight or weave. 13.5 oz Cone is kind of the Corolla of denim.

17. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

No returns for the Kickstarter jeans as Kickstarter doesn't have a method for them, but once they open the website Gustin will accept them.

The "sizing up" recommendation is if you are only going by the typical size number you normally buy, as Gustin isn't using vanity sizing. (If you normally by a 31, buy a 32). The more accurate way, if you have a pair that fits well, is to measure them and compare the actual waist measurement to the waist measurement of the Gustin, ignoring the size number. If your pants measure at an actual 32" and they fit snug, you might consider getting a size 31 (31.5:"), since the waist will ease out. You need to get into them in the first place before they will stretch, so don't cut yourself too short. You have to balance out how tight they will be to start compared to how much they will stretch.

I have only one pair to use as a reference. They were quite snug to start with. I haven't worn them extensively, but they have eased a little bit without getting loose at all. My plan is to go about 0.5"- 1" under what their current waist measures at, whichever one falls in that range. At that size, they will be snug, but I'll still be able to get into them.

BTW, they've added a mention of the 1" easing to the bottom of the current size chart. I imagine it will be in the sizing email when it goes out as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  18. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

Ok, I'm confused. I measured my two pairs of jeans, which I regard as fitting reasonably well, and I get a 34". My natural waist is a 35", however, and my dress pants all are about 35". If I go by the jeans numbers, I should order a 33. But it says both that I should size up and that the waist will stretch and inch, which is a contradiction. Any thoughts?

PS. I have no experience with raw or selvage. My two jeans are 1. 501s labelled 34, and 2. LE Canvas, labelled 34".

19. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I think if you were to get size 34, which measure true to a 35, if I'm correct, it should fit you. My experience with selvedge and raw denim jeans is that, if the waist is smaller than your actual measurement, it will stretch out about an inch. I don't think the waist will stretch out that much if it already fits your waist.