• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

12" Drop Suit Issue

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you sure you mean a US48 to a [US]36W and you're not confusing a UK48R (which would be more like a US38 or 40)?

UK sizes are the same as US sizes. It is EU sizes which are +10.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that an Aussie in your avy btw?

Yes she is, Bran (Irish for raven). Granddaughter of Westminster Herding Class champ Bayshores Flapjack, but I'd love her just as much if she was a mutt. Great dog. :slayer:

Last edited:

inq89

Reaction score
OP clearly you are just going to have to post pictures of yourself wearing those measurements to prove your 12" drop ;)

I have a 10" drop due to weightlifting and consider myself relatively small. I can see how 12+" is reasonable for a former college athlete. Also, and this is purely out of curiosity, why assume that he wears his pants too low? I thought hips would be wider, not smaller? Or perhaps my squat butt is larger than usual haha.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

OP clearly you are just going to have to post pictures of yourself wearing those measurements to prove your 12" drop ;)
Also, and this is purely out of curiosity, why assume that he wears his pants too low?.

Look at a middle aged guy with a gut sometime. They have a big chest and a big stomach, but tend to wear their pants under their stomach in the front so they often think their "waist" is much smaller than it is.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a 10" drop due to weightlifting and consider myself relatively small. I can see how 12+" is reasonable for a former college athlete. Also, and this is purely out of curiosity, why assume that he wears his pants too low? I thought hips would be wider, not smaller? Or perhaps my squat butt is larger than usual haha.

I assumed that if he was overweight he was wearing his pants too low. This is obviously not the case with the OP since he replied with his body type. Another one of my boring work stories: one of my guys was bragging about his 36" inch waist when he was very plump, probably about a 48-50 jacket.. Belt around his hips.
I've observed other similarly built guys doing the same thing. I live in Baltimore and work for a state agency. What can I say? :embar:

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Look at a middle aged guy with a gut sometime. They have a big chest and a big stomach, but tend to wear their pants under their stomach in the front so they often think their "waist" is much smaller than it is.

See? We Maryland guys have to live with this ****. :nodding:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man so much hate....

I wouldn't consider myself to be in such great shape (better than the average fatass american...but still)...and I have something like an 8-9 drop (and my chest and shoulders seem to make it so I can't squeeze into the smaller tops). If I were to lose another inch or two off of my waist and start lifting, I could be at 10-12 without a lot of trouble (and without looking like a gymbro). I've just got a big chest and broad shoulders....I see no reason to just believe this guy, although maybe with proper tailoring (and a jacket with a roomier chest) he could step it down a size.

Suit separates is the best option on the low end. Its hard to find nice ones though. I have a friend with a pretty crazy drop who went with the brooks brothers suiting essentials (I think) on a nice sale where he got two suits for a pretty good price. If you buy them in the store, they are pseudo MTM--you get to pick fabric and details (lapels, pocket style, stitching, pant pleats, etc). They take some measurements--its not full MTM (he needed a bit more tailoring afterwards, particularly extra waist suppression) but its enough to get you a jacket that fits perfectly in the shoulders matched with pants that fit perfectly in the waist. If you buy them online, they are just standard separates (pick a jacket and pants size from available stock with standard details) which is kind of a ****** deal.

They aren't the nicest fabrics in the world (120s wool but they blend in a tiny bit of some synthetic stretch stuff) but no worse than the nicer jos a bank stuff and he really does look fantastic in the suits. I can't remember but I think he ended up with 2 suits for under 800 after the extra tailoring (and these weren't the wacky pattern stuff left over come sale time...you can get pure staples)

Last edited:

jarth3000

Reaction score
Quote:
She's beautiful! I have a 7 year old male named Harold. He's the man!

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter so far, I think I'm going to check out Brooks Brothers and go from there at this point. Need to get moving. Otherwise, I may just end up going to JAB again to manage until I can spend more again.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also am normal sized (5'11, 165#) and wear a 8-10" drop (42 jacket, 32 or 34 waist). Not that weird, just not fat.

You might look at whether Benjamin @ eHaberdasher or Jeff @ wizard if Ahhs (worst name ever) could get you separates that would fit you. They both have a slimmer line (Lucente and Valentino, I believe) that could work in your price range.

I would go with Benjamin if he will do it, his suits are canvassed and 100x better than the JAB stuff.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I played college basketball and my chest/shoulders are built and I still work out quite a bit and actually normally have a 34" waist, but ever since my son came around I've grown 2" yikes!  Many times people try to fit me into a 46R jacket, but because of my shoulders it isn't a possibility, hence the 48R and now a 12" drop. 

I missed this. Are you saying your chest measures more like 46 but because of the shoulders are forced into a 48? If so look for brands with broader shoulders. Try on every brand you can find. If you stick with going up a size then the shoulders will fit but nothing else will.

brokencycle

Reaction score

I'm not particularly large and I have a 10 inch drop, so 12 inches is in the same ballpark really. Anyone who lifts or competes in sports regularly will have the same problem getting suits made for the average man to fit them.

+1 I've seen some body builders who are like 10+ drops.

bucksfan

Reaction score
You might look at whether Benjamin @ eHaberdasher or Jeff @ wizard if Ahhs (worst name ever) could get you separates that would fit you. They both have a slimmer line (Lucente and Valentino, I believe) that could work in your price range.

I would go with Benjamin if he will do it, his suits are canvassed and 100x better than the JAB stuff.

I know Jeff can do separates in some of his. Those suits are a good value and seemingly in your price range. Most of his suits are 150s, so stick with the tougher fabrics (sharkskin, birds eye) and get an extra pair of pants with your suits (also an option with Jeff).

They are canvassed and include pick stitching, which are details not readily available in that price range. I have two of Jeff's suits I use in the summer. Look him up on eBay to see what he has, and send him an email to see what he has that can be purchased as separates. Search for "Ahhs" "danielle" or "m. Valentino" on the bay.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
There's a couple threads on the Wizard's suits. The consensus is that the Baroni/Valentino suits are ok for $300, but you should look for something nicer for your $500 budget. The Baroni/Danielle jacket I examined was (allegedly) half-canvas, Macy's-level fabric, and fairly-padded shoulders. If they'll meet your sizing requirements, maybe an option, but a normal sized person could do MUCH better for $500.

Brian Weeks

Reaction score
I took up ocean swimming 17 months ago and have changed proportions and measurements dramatically. I had also been working on losing weight prior to swimming (waited until dropped under 200 to buy a wetsuit). I am now 168 at 6'3" which puts me at the super-middleweight boxing weight limit. I was 265 3-1/2 yrs. ago. in September 2012. Dropping 37 % of body wt. makes a huge difference; I keep a pair of old 44 waist pants for a laugh! Anyway, I swim daily for about 60-90 minutes, both in the waves and beyond in deeper water. So, now I am 30 waist and 42 chest (took the measurements myself yesterday). To top it off, I didn't do any of this until I was 42, now age 46. Feel like I'm a grade-school kid on summer break, endless energy, everything is so effortless that used to be a sweaty, huffing pain-in-the-@$$. Swimming has helped me lose most of the fat and build shoulders, back, quads, everything pretty much! Now it looks like I will have a lot of alterations when I go to get a suit that FITS ME!

No wonder people look at me differently than before; given avg. drop is 6 inches and I am DOUBLE that. I must look like the shape of a narrow inverted isosceles triangle when most others are square to ovoid/round shaped (zero to negative drop as in fat-@$$).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads