• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1000K Wolverines - rainsoaked - help!

bobm

Reaction score
I have the 1000 K Wolverines. Wanted to protect and waterproof them. Ok, put a couple of coats of Montana Pitch Blend in even crevice, nook and cranny- even used the melt in with the hair dryer method. Went out a few weeks ago in moderate rain and a few puddles; feet got wet. Ok, put on several coats of Obenauf LP, same hair dryer method. Wanted to go for a walk in the wind driven rain today. SAME THING. Not 20 minutes into the walk, my feet were getttting damp, then wet - even before walking through a few low puddles. By the time I got home, the boots were almost as wet as if I placed them in a fishtank.
Boots were soaking wet. I know Karl from Cranes has had great results using SNOSEAL, standing in water even, and keeping dry. I am not knocking any product, but is there that much difference between Snoseal and the other products?

BOB

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
post in wolverine thread

mods merge thread

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
post in wolverine thread

mods merge thread

Mods can do as they deem prudent, no problem on my endm but why merge the thread? This just happpens to be regarding the 1000K's but has more to do with waterproofing any shoes and/or boots, not just Wolverines.

Bob

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then maybe the thread should be "Waterproofing Boots"

bobm

Reaction score
johnH123;3856520 said:
Water might be coming in through the leather soles, or your waterproofing job wasn't good enough (no hate, it happens).

Yes, that was my first thought - coming through the soles, but Karl from Crane's has said he's stood in ankle deep water w/o a problem..and he seems to know his stuff. I can't imagine these boots getting so wet so fast.
I have to say, waterproofing isn't tough work at all, but I know I was very thorough, so I can imagine that wtf happened here. I will recheck with the my other books I waterproofed similarly.

Bob

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bob.

I'm not sure what's going on with your boots. I've gotten enough emails from people who used Sno seal or Obenaufs on the 1Ks (and other brands) with excellent results. I own a a pair of classic 1Ks, the 721 LTDs and the Montgomerys. All of them have been through much more water than what you described without leaking problems. Me thinks you may have a pair of defective boots. Contact Wolverine directly and see what they say. They have an excellent customer support staff and it wouldn't surprise me if they warranty them out and you get a new pair.

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Bob.

I'm not sure what's going on with your boots. I've gotten enough emails from people who used Sno seal or Obenaufs on the 1Ks (and other brands) with excellent results. I own a a pair of classic 1Ks, the 721 LTDs and the Montgomerys. All of them have been through much more water than what you described without leaking problems. Me thinks you may have a pair of defective boots. Contact Wolverine directly and see what they say. They have an excellent customer support staff and it wouldn't surprise me if they warranty them out and you get a new pair.

Karl,

THANKS, will do that. I have more waterproofing on these 1000k's - which I love, btw, than you can imagine. I would also think something (who knows what) is wrong. Not 5 minutes into a walk - not even puddles and I can feel moisture creeping in. They look great - solid - no cracks or perforations, so am puzzled. Karl question for you - would standing in water - as you do, allow the water to be absorbed through those leather soles? Thant was my first hought with mine.

Bob

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobm
Karl,

THANKS, will do that. I have more waterproofing on these 1000k's - which I love, btw, than you can imagine. I would also think something (who knows what) is wrong. Not 5 minutes into a walk - not even puddles and I can feel moisture creeping in. They look great - solid - no cracks or perforations, so am puzzled. Karl question for you - would standing in water - as you do, allow the water to be absorbed through those leather soles? Thant was my first hought with mine.

Bob

Eventually they'll soak through. Oak leather soles are extremely resistant to water. It would take days, not minutes, for water to soak through them and about all you would notice is the bottom of your feet being damp. Your problem sounds like a serious welt leak.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
how many requests have been made to ban you?
Originally Posted by mike868y
Mods please ban johnH123.
lol8[1].gif
Why does this forum idiot keep posting?

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
The same reason this forum idiot ^^^ keeps posting. It keeps me occupied when I'm not with your mom.

Wow, against my better judgement I will just post a reply.
I know this is a fairly hip, youngish crowd and forum monitoring here (for good or bad) is at a minimum, so some people take that lack of moderation to be downright nasty - to say the least.
Also, Internet forums somehow embolden a few sitting in front of their computer keyboard to say things that would get them (rightly deserved) a real beatdown if said to the recipient face to face.
I guess with the greatness and treasure of the Internet, and lack of forum monitoring, this type of behavior, is a small, but unfortunate price to pay.

Bob

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads