• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$1000 - where would you spend it? Samuelsohn mtm or TaT mtm?

VINSON

Reaction score
My first mtm experience: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ight=omtailors (note the pants don't fit that well unless I stand awkwardly.) If you had $1,000 to spend on clothing and you only had 1 suit and wanted to get more would you go for Samuelsohn from Harry Rosen (MTM) on sale @ the fabric you want for $1040 or TAT which is half the price? Samuelsohn: - Measured in store (my greatest fear alleviated) - Free alterations TaT: - Half the price - Interesting style - Samuelsohn can only slim arms a bit and cannot change lapel width (note: I may go with both, I've been in communication with Get Smart for a while about this and he's drawing up some specs for me atm so I don't really want to pull out because I'd feel like a jerk) Why I'm thinking of spending an extra $500 on Samuelsohn: -1 of my shoulders is slightly lower than the other due to a broken collarbone -I don't think the pants will turn out correctly - my previous mtm pants and rtw pants don't look proper in the rear unless I literally bend over or arch my back alot. Looking for ideas/feedback on my concerns and suggestions. I have until next Sunday to decide whether or not to go for the Samuelsohn. This is what I would love my suit to look like: http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=HPIM0617.jpg

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sammy and TaT are rather different looks. I think you need to make an aesthetic decision.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VINSON
My first mtm experience:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ight=omtailors
(note the pants don't fit that well unless I stand awkwardly.)

If you had $1,000 to spend on clothing and you only had 1 suit and wanted to get more would you go for Samuelsohn from Harry Rosen (MTM) on sale @ the fabric you want for $1040 or TAT which is half the price?

Samuelsohn:
- Measured in store (my greatest fear alleviated)
- Free alterations

TaT:
- Half the price
- Interesting style (I don't think I can get slimmer arms on the samuelsohn but I'm not sure if this is a big deal - pants not sure how slim they get with samuelsohn)

(note: I may go with both, I've been in communication with Get Smart for a while about this and he's drawing up some specs for me atm so I don't really want to pull out because I'd feel like a jerk)

Why I'm thinking of spending an extra $500 on Samuelsohn:

-1 of my shoulders is slightly lower than the other due to a broken collarbone
-I don't think the pants will turn out correctly - my previous mtm pants and rtw pants don't look proper in the rear unless I literally bend over or arch my back alot.

Looking for ideas/feedback on my concerns and suggestions. I have until next Sunday to decide whether or not to go for the Samuelsohn.

This is what I would love my suit to look like:
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=HPIM0617.jpg

Why not just buy that suit?

VINSON

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Why not just buy that suit?
It costs 1000-2000 euros and I'm not in Milan anymore. How much do PZ suits go for full retail in Milan? I didn't walk into the store but I saw some in Munich and I found Munich a less expensive city than Milan.
Originally Posted by philosophe
Sammy and TaT are rather different looks. I think you need to make an aesthetic decision.
I like the TaT aesthetic but I'm not sure if it works for my body. Of course I won't know until I've tried. That's what worries me. The Samuelsohn seems safer but the reward of taking less risk is I might find it less appealing compared to a perfect tat. I was just at oakridge for some stuff and asked a few questions at the trunk show and the lapels for the sammy can't be changed and the arms won't be made slimmer. A very narrow waist with big arms and lapels might not work well as a style.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Very different looks between those two option the GEO cut in the Sammy is the closest thing to the ToT look. Also are you sure you can get a Sammy MTM for $1040??? I am pretty sure that is the MTO price on sale at Harry's. Mind you for your second suit there is nothing wrong with MTO.

Personally I wouldn't get into MTM/bespoke suits until I had few RTW or MTO suits under my belt. Too much can go wrong even if you know what you are doing. Also if it your second suit, being able to try on several options is major plus rather then doing mail order.

VINSON

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Very different looks between those two option the GEO cut in the Sammy is the closest thing to the ToT look. Also are you sure you can get a Sammy MTM for $1040??? I am pretty sure that is the MTO price on sale at Harry's. Mind you for your second suit there is nothing wrong with MTO. Personally I wouldn't get into MTM/bespoke suits until I had few RTW or MTO suits under my belt. Too much can go wrong even if you know what you are doing. Also if it your second suit, being able to try on several options is major plus rather then doing mail order.
Actually you are right. It is MTO not MTM Sammy. MTO is like MTM with less customizable features, right? My first suit was done in HK and it cost me about $400 and the suit is OK. Looking for something that can correct the flaws of my first suit. The GEO was actually the line I was going for in the Sammy. RTW would be nice but at 5 ft 5 none are cut short enough for me imo. The shorter the better for me.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Actually you are right.
It is MTO not MTM Sammy. MTO is like MTM with less customizable features, right?
My first suit was done in HK and it cost me about $400 and the suit is OK.
Looking for something that can correct the flaws of my first suit.

The GEO was actually the line I was going for in the Sammy. RTW would be nice but at 5 ft 5 none are cut short enough for me imo. The shorter the better for me.

MTO is really more like buying off the rack, but with options. You pick the fabric, the style of the suit and you can mix and match sizes of jacket and pants if you have a less then standard drop (ie you pants size in not 6" less then you chest size). When the suit arrives it will need to be adjusted to fit you - hem the pants, maybe adjust the sleeves of the jacket etc as the suit that "made to order" for you is a standard off the line suit, in your fabric choice. With MTO you have fewer options to customize your suit. This is pretty safe option as at Harry's you will get to try on the suit (if they have you size in stock) so you can see the basic fit before you order it.

With MTM you can change more elements of the suit and it is made to your measurements (in theory) rather then made to standard measurement and adjusted later. Of you course there is a bit more of an element of chance with MTM as the guy who measures you determines the fit of your suit. Of course if you are getting a Sammy MTM from Harry you will be trying on Geo in your size and to give the tailor an idea of what you are after - so it is less risky then other places. I think MTM is about $200 - $300 more.

For me MTO works fine as I am not hard to fit, I am not looking for any unusual, and even when I have done MTM I have needed adjustments made when the suit arrived.

BTY - so you don't feel rushed S. LAMPMAN LTD on 41st also does Sammy MTO and as they don't stock suits they offer 15% off all on all MTO orders. So year round they are the same price or even a bit cheaper then the Sammy trunk sale at Harry's. Mind you the trunk sale give you access to a lot more fabrics and buying at Harry’s also means you get life time adjustments/minor repairs on you suit. Also if you are going to buy a MTO from Lampman I suggest you figure out in advance the size (s) and model of Sammy in advance as they only have a few items you can try on there.

VINSON

Reaction score
hmm. I thought MTO was something else.
I was specifically speaking with the sales rep about MTM. The MTO you are describing doesn't work so well because I need the jacket a certain length (26-27 inches) that isn't standard.

The sales rep guaranteed me he could make the jacket as short in length as I want and take in the the waist as much as I want and the price quoted was $1040. I will have to check again but now it seems it would be better to go only TaT.

S. Lampman seems like a good alternative although I really like the lifetime adjustments service HR provides.

highball

Reaction score
I would go with TaT personally, but mostly because their cut is more along the lines of my personal tastes. If $1000 is your budget you could order 1 TaT suit and likely get a pretty decent fit. You could then work with Jason on any tweaks that need to be made for the second. Everyone I've seen who's done this has had nearly perfect fits by the second suit, it seems. This is what I plan to do and my first suit is on the way. However, I'm not sure Jason can do lapels as wide as what you seem to be looking for, so you might want to check with him on that before making a decision.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball
I would go with TaT personally, but mostly because their cut is more along the lines of my personal tastes. If $1000 is your budget you could order 1 TaT suit and likely get a pretty decent fit. You could then work with Jason on any tweaks that need to be made for the second. Everyone I've seen who's done this has had nearly perfect fits by the second suit, it seems. This is what I plan to do and my first suit is on the way. However, I'm not sure Jason can do lapels as wide as what you seem to be looking for, so you might want to check with him on that before making a decision.

Keep in mind that he would need to spend extra $50-100 at his tailor to fix his TaT suit on the slightly lowered shoulder. That broken collar bone could lead to opening up the jacket shoulders to adjust and smooth the line.

VINSON

Reaction score
I actually want the conservative width lapels which should go well with my 3 inch ties.

vitaminc: that's something I'm worried about. The shoulder alterations are more pricey.

I'm still pretty sure I'm going to get a TaT suit, I just need to be more careful with my measurements.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aww i remember that.

if i were you, tat traditional cut would probably be my choice. even with alterations it would still be under $700 assuming you have relationship with a tailor.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
hmm. I thought MTO was something else.
I was specifically speaking with the sales rep about MTM. The MTO you are describing doesn't work so well because I need the jacket a certain length (26-27 inches) that isn't standard.

The sales rep guaranteed me he could make the jacket as short in length as I want and take in the the waist as much as I want and the price quoted was $1040. I will have to check again but now it seems it would be better to go only TaT.

S. Lampman seems like a good alternative although I really like the lifetime adjustments service HR provides.

the samm might come in an extra short and that is how you would get that size in a MTO?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually want the conservative width lapels which should go well with my 3 inch ties.

vitaminc: that's something I'm worried about. The shoulder alterations are more pricey.

I'm still pretty sure I'm going to get a TaT suit, I just need to be more careful with my measurements.

Just have someone assist you when you measure and take the measurements multiple times and follow the guidelines on the TaT site and you'll be fine. I have a TaT suit I think everything was really good for the first suit (except trouser length but that was easily altered).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads