• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

100 years ago.

carpu65

Reaction score
I was talking about lounge suit,so i agree 100% with this opinion
"Would one look out of place wearing a suit from 1816 in 1916?" The answer to that is "Oh hell ******* yes". The OP's point, I think, is if you were to ask the same question about someone wearing a suit from 1916 in 2016 the answer would be "Yes, but less so". Could you get away with wearing a suit from 1916 today if you were to update the shirt and shoes alone? Yes, probably. The same cannot be said from the suit from 1816. This is 100% true and not up for debate from reasonable persons.

Said this,if you in 2016 are invited to white tie event,you are not out place if wear a tailcoat of 1916:
Same for dinner jacket.

Same for Morning coats.

I have fear that in 1916 at Ascot,this apparel would have seemed a bit dated...

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Brummell at Almack's, 1815:
Would one look out of place wearing such a coat in 1916?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just skimmed this thread, but I think what we are looking at are really Edwardian styles of dress in 1916. this style came back somewhat in 1960s Britain and nowadays the modern fashionable suit is very much a slimmed down more tailored 60s suit. In many respects the style has come full circle back to Edwardian silhouettes although in people's minds they think back to the 1960s which wasn't the originator of the style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads