• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

100% polyester shirts

JDro

Reaction score
Brand new here fellas, so be nice if you can,

I've seen a lot on here about really talking up 100% cotton for suit shirts, etc. or talking down on polyester being softer, more comfortable...

I have about 10-11 different suit shirts, colors, etc. My absolute favorite, by far, 100%, not even close, is a shirt that was a gift awhile back, a Geoffrey Beene shirt that is 100% polyester.

It's INCREDIBLY soft and feels much nicer on the skin, been laundered/dry cleaned a couple hundred times along with all of my cotton ones.

What am I missing? What is wrong with me that I prefer it? And lastly, where can I find more shirts that aren't a 60/40 blend, but are just 100% polyester?

Am I a bad person? (kidding lol) - I just don't get why everyone is hating on polyester shirts. It's not some shiny clubbing shirt. it's an off-white suit shirt looks exactly like my other ones, except this one just feels like angels kissed it before I put it on, lol.

Thanks for any replies lol

Hellkamp

Reaction score
There are a few reasons I prefer natural materials for my clothes.

1: There are studies that show reports of carcinogens in synthetic materials.

2: Natural materials breathe much better than synthetics. You will sweat less and smell better in naturals. Try wearing synthetic socks if you don't believe me (I don't actually recommend this... It's gross)

3: A well made and maintained piece of clothing will last a very long time. That being said, there are not many well made synthetic garments. So they may be soft (for now) and look good, but there's nothing like the real deal.

These are my reasons, but you're wearing the clothes, not me. So you can decide what you like and what you want to wear.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polyester melts.

I only had to see a few pictures of skin with poly melted into it before I switched permanently.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a few reasons I prefer natural materials for my clothes.

1: There are studies that show reports of carcinogens in synthetic materials.

2: Natural materials breathe much better than synthetics. You will sweat less and smell better in naturals. Try wearing synthetic socks if you don't believe me (I don't actually recommend this... It's gross)

3: A well made and maintained piece of clothing will last a very long time. That being said, there are not many well made synthetic garments. So they may be soft (for now) and look good, but there's nothing like the real deal.

These are my reasons, but you're wearing the clothes, not me. So you can decide what you like and what you want to wear.

What the ******* **** are you on about?

1: No, just no.

2: Ever heard of Goretex?

3: The real deal? What is not real about synthetics?

Hellkamp

Reaction score
Hey, no need to get rowdy. I'm not telling you what to do/wear or anything.

I live in Massachusetts and am surrounded by the oldest textile mills in the country. Many of my family and friends are in the textile business and have been for the past few decades. They see firsthand all the nastiness and slew of chemicals that go into the manufacturing and finishing process of synthetic fabric. They also see all the new regulation and changes that are being put in place in recent years because of potential health risks.

From what I have read and understand many synthetics are treated with perfluorinated chemicals used to make fabric wrinkle free, more durable, water resistant, etc. (This also includes all non-iron clothing, even if 100% cotton) Many synthetic clothes also contain Phthalates. These, at least are slowly being phased out of clothing and plastics because of their determinant to health. There are numerous other chemicals found in synthetics, mostly in the manufacturing and finishing process. Many of which release formaldehyde and other substances continuously. No amount of washing changes this. All this is old information.

Some new studies I've read actually showed how synthetic fibers found in clothing are having physical effects on people wearing them. One I can specifically remember was about the effect of synthetics on muscle fibers while people were wearing them. This was actually confirmed by numerous other studies and in response certain US military banned the use of synthetics on their soldiers while their units were not on base or in combat. (Obviously they continue to use synthetics during training and in combat)

I'm not saying we're all going to get cancer and die because we wear polyester or rayon, but having this information out there is enough to make up my mind.

Yes I've heard of Gore-Tex. I'm pretty sure when most people are talking about synthetic clothes here they are talking about polyester and rayon. Shirts, pants, suits, sports coats, etc. are generally not made of Gore-Tex. So yes, typically speaking, especially on this forum synthetics (polyester and rayon) are not held in high regards and are generally a sign of a cheap piece of clothing.

That being said of course there are high quality synthetics, but I’m speaking in generalizations, not in outliers.

On a side note, Gore-Tex was actually the material that spawned most of the research on fluoropolymers and cancer causing chemicals.

To your final point, the definition of synthetic is something chemically made to imitate something natural. So by definition it is not natural, which is what I meant by "real deal".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads