1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

10 Ugliest Buildings in the World

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by edinatlanta, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Verno Inferno

Verno Inferno Well-Known Member

I like them, they feel ominous, oppressive, and like something IBM would make all at the same time

Ha! You're pretty good... this is the IBM Building in downtown Chicago [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

Ha! You're pretty good... this is the IBM Building in downtown Chicago [​IMG]

I quite like the Mies van der Rohe International style.

3. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

I quite like the Mies van der Rohe International style.

I do as well. Something about the executive look of it is appealing.

4. dganderson

dganderson Senior member

There are buildings that are uglier but these from my alma mater are pretty awful.

First up is General Classroom Building. As you can tell there are two different colors of bricks, the darker one is this weird shade of brown that has faded differently. Honorable mention for Library North just to the right and back of GCB. Thankfully they have renovated part of it in the last few years.

[​IMG]

The Urban Life Building seen in the back is also atrocious. As you can see, windows weren't something the designers thought were too important. They can only be found near those round--things--at the corners. The Bastille was the inspiration for ULB. Walking inside is just as soul crushing as you would imagine. (BTW: Found this picture at some thread about the ugliest law schools).

[​IMG]

Let me be honest, I could have selected any buildings from GSU and included them in this thread.

Seconded. GSU has some horrendous buildings. Atlanta has some of the best looking and absolute worst looking buildings around.

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

What if Le Corbusier had had his way with the Marais?

6. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

That's part of what makes this stuff aggravating: they don't harmonize with their surroundings. They just end up being a massive monument to the architect's ego.

I agree. The black skyscrapers are jarring in their environment. As well, scale is not a non-consideration; what may be elegant for a 10-story office building can be overbearing for a skyscraper.

Not harmonizing with their environments is the biggest sin for some of these things, like this:

[​IMG]

McMansions are so unambitious I don't see how they warrant includion in this thread. Sure, they're in bad taste, but they're somebody's very cozy home, and I'd much rather live in one of them than where I'm living now on any day of the week.

7. SField

SField Senior member

I think that blending with your environment is how ideas and aesthetics become stagnant.

8. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

I have always considered Westminster Cathedral, on Victoria Street, London particularly vulgar.

9. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

The MI6 headquarters in London deserves a mention.

10. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

While I'll not go so far as to call it an eyesore, I do find the similarity to this striking...

[​IMG]

First thing I thought of, great minds think alike. Either that or we've both smoked one too many.

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

blehhhhh. If I wanted an old black box..well..I'd be Conne. [​IMG]
    Requoted for sheer awesomeness.

12. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Even worse than ugly, it's not even functional - Ontario College of Art and Design

[​IMG]

13. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

Requoted for sheer awesomeness.

thank you, thank you. [​IMG]

What are some examples of what you find to be impressive or valuable pieces of architecture?

Here you go. To be built:
    [​IMG]

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat...servatory.html

14. dganderson

dganderson Senior member

Even worse than ugly, it's not even functional - Ontario College of Art and Design

[​IMG]

Holy crap, that's insane. What part of Ontario is that located in?

15. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

Toronto. OCAD kids are fags. One girl painted a picture out of her menstrual blood and got applauded for being so "artistic".

16. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

It's in downtown Toronto. I've never been inside it but always thought it was something different in a neighbourhood of fairly bland buildings.

17. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Except for the Gehry literally next door I guess.

That's the thing with Aslop buildings...they don't require bland surroundings to stand out. OCAD got a lot of bang for their buck...the "flying tabletop" was done on a very small budget.

18. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Except for the Gehry literally next door I guess.
    Oh yeah, forgot about the AGO.

19. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Mies's TD Centre is bad architecture???

Really...the word "style" needs to be removed from this forum's title.

It's also not a very flattering photo...it also looks altered, as the dimensions seem squished or something.

Well, I guess at the time (the 60's) it did stand out, but it's hardly an issue nowadays, as a "few" buildings have been added to the area.

20. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

This is why Albertans hate Ontario
    Is this ugly? [​IMG]
    I was going to ask what 4th world country this monstrosity hailed from... until I saw the filename.