1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

10 Ugliest Buildings in the World

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by edinatlanta, Nov 20, 2009.

1. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

Oh wait, this is SF. Carry on. I'm the guy with Lady Gaga in his avatar.

funny that you bring up avatars. The person you quoted has an avatar of the biggest douchebag....fitting.

2. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

funny that you bring up avatars. The person you quoted has an avatar of the biggest douchebag....fitting.

I actually don't think he likes Ari, IIRC.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

LEVEL of taste? How exactly? You make it sound hierarchical, as if those with excellent taste (by your definition) would appreciate and dislike the same things (well, buildings in this case)
    Yes, I believe that's the case to a certain extent. People with taste in men's clothes don't name Ed Hardy studded T-shirts and square-toes Aldo shoes as the best looking items of clothing. They don't name Edward Green's shoes or a well-cut navy suit as one of the "ugliest".

My point is that what one chooses to name as his pick for "ugliest" or "prettiest" can be an indication of the person's taste level more than anything else.

4. gdl203

Thanks for the unwarranted insult. [​IMG]

5. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Thanks for the unwarranted insult. [​IMG]

He does have a point. You are one of the bigger douchebags on the board.

6. gdl203

He does have a point. You are one of the bigger douchebags on the board.

Coming from you, it's a wonderful compliment - IIRC, I have never even been nominated for that title, while you have been a strong contender every time the title was in play.

I didn't know 187 should be put in the same bag as you - learn something every day.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know if it is one of the ugliest in the world, but this pile makes me want to throw up when I see it: [​IMG] The LMVdR towers are beautiful. I wish we had a few things like that in SF.

8. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Hmm.

If I really think about it, I think I am the most offended by neoclassical stuff. I don't mind the really modern/abstract buildings because I see them as stylistic/contextual experiments more than anything else.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I don't know if it is one of the ugliest in the world, but this pile makes me want to throw up when I see it:

[​IMG]

The LMVdR towers are beautiful. I wish we had a few things like that in SF.

+ a lot on this Marriott. It looks like something Bob Mackie would have drafted in the '80s.

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I'm the guy with Lady Gaga in his avatar.

I thought it was Traci Lords.

11. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

A lot of the buildings posted here aren't that bad to my (uneducated) eye. [​IMG]

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

A lot of the buildings posted here aren't that bad to my (uneducated) eye. [​IMG]

I'm sure that you know what you like, and know what you don't like.

That being said, I find this building horrendous:

[​IMG]

13. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Is this ugly? [​IMG]

14. binge

binge Senior member

I don't know if it is one of the ugliest in the world, but this pile makes me want to throw up when I see it:

http://www.sfphotorama.com/uploaded_...tos-706987.jpg

I think we found the place for the next SF in SF meetup!

15. freestile8

freestile8 New Member

16. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

There are buildings that are uglier but these from my alma mater are pretty awful.

First up is General Classroom Building. As you can tell there are two different colors of bricks, the darker one is this weird shade of brown that has faded differently. Honorable mention for Library North just to the right and back of GCB. Thankfully they have renovated part of it in the last few years.

[​IMG]

The Urban Life Building seen in the back is also atrocious. As you can see, windows weren't something the designers thought were too important. They can only be found near those round--things--at the corners. The Bastille was the inspiration for ULB. Walking inside is just as soul crushing as you would imagine. (BTW: Found this picture at some thread about the ugliest law schools).

[​IMG]

Let me be honest, I could have selected any buildings from GSU and included them in this thread.

17. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

This looks like they just didn't give a shit when they built it.

[​IMG]

This is much, much worse because they obviously gave a shit.

18. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Looks infinitely better than what surrounds it though

That's part of what makes this stuff aggravating: they don't harmonize with their surroundings. They just end up being a massive monument to the architect's ego.

19. gdl203

That's part of what makes this stuff aggravating: they don't harmonize with their surroundings. They just end up being a massive monument to the architect's ego.

When everything around looks like crap, you gotta start somewhere to improve the landscape. Not every city is Brasilia, nor every master planner Haussmann.

20. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

When everything around looks like crap, you gotta start somewhere to improve the landscape.

Agreed. "Harmonizing" is a terrible motivation for architecture. In the best case scenario (which is terrible), you're harmonizing with decent pre-existing stuff that is historically genuine, but you wind up with the fake Greek temples and "contemporary traditional" McMansions. In the worst case scenario, you're harmonizing with crap and you just wind up with more crap.