1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

10 Ugliest Buildings in the World

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by edinatlanta, Nov 20, 2009.

1. SField

SField Well-Known Member

something other than a black rectangular prism. Huge black squares really brighten up the skyline............................[​IMG]

So a blue prism is more attractive to you? And a skyline should be bright? What are some examples of what you find to be impressive or valuable pieces of architecture?

2. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Again, what people choose to post here gives a good indication of their own level of taste.

3. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with people posting Mies van der Rohe, because I certainly don't think there is anything about his buildings that make me want to be near them or step inside them. They are chillingly austere and being around them for very long, while living in Chicago, made me start clinching my teeth.

4. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Tinted glass has had its day and needs to go. It's the VHS tape of transparency control.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with people posting Mies van der Rohe, because I certainly don't think there is anything about his buildings that make me want to be near them or step inside them. They are chillingly austere and being around them for very long, while living in Chicago, made me start clinching my teeth.

Yeah - da Vinci and Mozart sucked too

6. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

What kind of windows go into office towers that are basically all windows? Can such windows be used in houses?

7. StephenHero

The newest technology is fritted glass that uses small ceramic dots that are bonded to the glass that reflect heat and varying degrees of sunlight away from the building. It's better looking, more environmentally friendly, and easier to see through than tinted glass. On a high rise it's not even noticeable. On a house the better option is triple pane glass which can have pockets of gases between them to provide insulation. [​IMG]

8. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Thanks, SH! Do you happen to know a good book on passive construction?

9. StephenHero

This book is a very good overview of all green building principles, passive solar included. It's written for architects but very accessible. Most of this information is really easy to understand anyway.

[​IMG]

10. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Yeah - da Vinci and Mozart sucked too

Well, neither none of us will be around 200 years from now to see if van der Rohe is compared to those two. Not a big fan of classical music, anyway.

Personally, I just happen to dislike austere architecture - growing up in a very rural environment, I feel more comfortable (happier, even?) surrounded by more organic materials and aesthetics.

11. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

eyesore of Toronto's financial district.

What the hell?

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What the hell?

+1. They look like two massive, alien spaceships that suddenly landed there - totally at odds with everything around them and divorced from the landscape.

13. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

I like them, they feel ominous, oppressive, and like something IBM would make all at the same time

14. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

^^I think they look OK too. Again, look at the surrounding buildings. Much, much uglier I think.

15. emmanuel

emmanuel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That looks like my balls on a Thursday morning!

16. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Covered in bumps?

17. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Un-used and un-loved?

18. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    [​IMG]

While I'll not go so far as to call it an eyesore, I do find the similarity to this striking...

[​IMG]

19. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

surrounded by green growth?

20. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about this thread. Context, originality, unapologetic creativity should all be considered. There are very few buildings I truly hate, and I am definitely more open-minded about architects I used to dislike before.
    Again, what people choose to post here gives a good indication of their own level of taste.
    LEVEL of taste? How exactly? You make it sound hierarchical, as if those with excellent taste (by your definition) would appreciate and dislike the same things (well, buildings in this case) Seriously? Oh wait, this is SF. Carry on. I'm the guy with Lady Gaga in his avatar.