10 Ugliest Buildings in the World

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by edinatlanta, Nov 20, 2009.

1. AnsonHeitman

AnsonHeitman New Member

I have the unfortunate luck of working in this atrocity. I would apologize for the terrible picture but trust me... a better picture wouldn't help any. [​IMG]

2. SField

SField Senior member

Not so much, but okay.
    Ok you vagina I'm sorry if you felt like I was being judgmental. I can disagree with people on the basis of a cogent argument that is counter to my own beliefs, but I think that certain opinions born from a lack of perspective are not worthy of being taken too seriously. I've seen some really puzzling takes on what constitutes ugliness. When matt calls something ugly, you can see a really thoughtful reason behind it, whereas some other people here, whatever isn't some nameless looking glass structure housing some corporate hell or some very obviously over designed futuristic thing gets little respect. And you probably aren't that fat anymore, just lazy looking. Maybe in France they'd think you're fat. I love you.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Ok you vagina I'm sorry if you felt like I was being judgmental. I can disagree with people on the basis of a cogent argument that is counter to my own beliefs, but I think that certain opinions born from a lack of perspective are not worthy of being taken too seriously. I've seen some really puzzling takes on what constitutes ugliness. When matt calls something ugly, you can see a really thoughtful reason behind it, whereas some other people here, whatever isn't some nameless looking glass structure housing some corporate hell or some very obviously over designed futuristic thing gets little respect.

And you probably aren't that fat anymore, just lazy looking. Maybe in France they'd think you're fat.

I love you.

[​IMG] I overreacted. I forget what this felt like.
    Seriously though, I agree that some people like Matt make it easy to respect their differing opinions, given the fact that you can tell his reactions aren't just knee jerk. I just don't think that people who disagree with me have no taste or bad taste. Just different taste. Then again, I don't know shit about architecture, and the one thing I actually do know a little bit about, I throw around the accusation of people having no taste quite loosely. So there's that.

4. SField

SField Senior member

[​IMG] I overreacted. I forget what this felt like.
    Seriously though, I agree that some people like Matt make it easy to respect their differing opinions, given the fact that you can tell his reactions aren't just knee jerk. I just don't think that people who disagree with me have no taste or bad taste. Just different taste. Then again, I don't know shit about architecture, and the one thing I actually do know a little bit about, I throw around the accusation of people having no taste quite loosely. So there's that.

If you're wondering, this was triggered by the Mies van der Rohe buildings. I'm sorry but it's like saying Robuchon is a shitty chef.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Hey, three of my favorite Chicago buildings were by him or heavily influenced by him. That means I have good taste in architecture. [​IMG]

6. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I think you can't throw a rock in Beijing without hitting a building that's uglier than 99% of those in the rest of the world.

7. SField

SField Senior member

Hey, three of my favorite Chicago buildings were by him or heavily influenced by him. That means I have good taste in architecture. [​IMG]

It doesn't mean you have good taste, just that you probably have some sort of an idea of what's good.

8. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

I have the unfortunate luck of working in this atrocity. I would apologize for the terrible picture but trust me... a better picture wouldn't help any.

[​IMG]

of all the buildings visible from the 405, I don't think this is that bad. There are some a little farther west and on the other side of the freeway that are worse, I think.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

Dancing House, Prague
    [​IMG]

Beautiful city, horrible house

this is awesome

10. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

I am really puzzled & baffled by some of the choices here as the ugliest buildings. The "Fred and Ginger" building is totally awesome:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I like a lot of the buildings posted in this thread. Even an eyesore of a building often has more character than a typical piece of architecture that blends in with everything else. Call me weird, but to me there is value if uniqueness, even if it is not beautiful.

12. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

It was hard to find a picture that wasn't touched up and I stopped looking as all the photos are from the same angle. They tore down a beautiful 1940's building to make the addition to art center. Surprisingly, no noticeable gallery space was added, but a restaurant and gift shop twice as big as the original gallery.

[​IMG]

And to continue the Brutalist bashing, Ralph Rapson's Ceder Square West now home to a large Somali Community:

[​IMG]

13. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I think it is beautiful, but that is just me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

^ Kowloon is unbelievable.

15. Acephale

Acephale Senior member

I think it is beautiful, but that is just me:

The Dark Side.

HK still has it's pockets of beauty though.

And above all energy. And for want of too oft used dichotomy.