• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 Shoes to last a lifetime

James Bluesky

Reaction score
I have many pair of shoes, a lot of them from designers like Gucci, Sergio Rossi, Russell and Bromley, Oliver Sweeney, Patrick Cox, Harrys of London, Kurt Geiger.

I'm now looking to invest in shoes that are serious classics and will last a lifetime. Hopefully with this thread I can put together a benchmark for the shoes a stylish gent should own.

I've been looking at brands like; Crockett & Jones, John Lobb, Grenson, Church's, Tricker's, Alfred Sargent, Edward Green, New & Lingwood, RM Williams.

I tend to prefer shades of brown and tan shoes as I prefer the pattena and antiquing you get over time.

My current list is:

1. John Lobb or Edward Green Brown calf Oxfords
2. Whole Cut Oxford, John Lobb or Crockett and Jones
3. Chestnut wingtip brogues perhaps Crockett and Jones, Trickers?
4. Chelsea boots, Chestnut Crockett and Jones or New and Lingwood?
5. Gucci brown suede loafer with horsebit.
6. Tod's brown calf leather driving shoes.
7. Timberland deck shoe's.
8. Country boots, for walking etc. Perhaps Trickers or C&J laced ankle boots
9. Oxford suede brogue
10. Hunter Wellington boots in Navy.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Looks to me that you already have a handle on it. I don't see how you can go wrong with the choices you have listed. Buying quality is never a bad decision.

well-kept

Reaction score
Good list. I'd add a pair or two of shell cordovans, either from Alden or Polo (C&J). They can literally and not just stylistically last a lifetime.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great list but it seems Timberland is known more for their boots (which don't even compare to Redwings or Chippewa BTW). As far as decks, Sebago is accepted as a premier shoe by boaters and they come in a lot of great styles, (Sperry seems a little too trad, "preppy" or something). I've also had experience with and like the quality and styling (little more modern) of Tommy Bahamas, although a little more expensive (nothing compared to Lbbs, etc though)

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
Good list. I'd add a pair or two of shell cordovans, either from Alden or Polo (C&J). They can literally and not just stylistically last a lifetime.

No AE? I understand the preference for C&J in general, but the plaintoe cordovans from AE, Alden and C&J strike me as pretty similar.

well-kept

Reaction score
My oversight. Yes, AE Leeds, Bradleys or McNeils.

James Bluesky

Reaction score
LobbBrownOxford.jpg

CrockettChelsea.jpg

GrensonTraffordJPG.jpg

timberland.jpg

0e84_1.jpg

hunter-original-navy-wellington-boo.jpg

tbabes

Reaction score
Nice list, but the Tod's will be lucky to last a season or two (if you mean the ones with the little knobs on the sole) let alone a lifetime!

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Let me warn you about two things that I have experienced:
1) You might at some point not like any longer some of the shoes.
2) Your size might increase.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Goldstein
Let me warn you about two things that I have experienced:
1) You might at some point not like any longer some of the shoes.
2) Your size might increase.

number two isn't a big deal if we're only talking about 10 shoes.....

number one is the risk we all take with buying something. most of the stuff he picked are pretty mainstream.

James Bluesky

Reaction score
I'm open to suggestions. If you can name a better classic top 10 i'd like to hear it.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bluesky
I'm open to suggestions. If you can name a better classic top 10 i'd like to hear it.

well, i wouldn't bother with the wellington, the timberland deck shoes or the gucci shoes (although, i do have timberland deck shoes and i have an AE welted shoe similar in look to the gucci).

but seriously, any group of 10 such as your 10 is fine. i got a lot more than that, so whatever rocks your boat works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads