1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

10 pairs of Allen Edmonds..excessive?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Holstein Bilter, Mar 31, 2008.

1. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

More than 10, but keep in mind that AE makes a lot of non-business shoes. I've bought dirty bucs, moc-sole boots, rubber sole loafers, suede saddle shoes, penny loafers, blucher mocs, and black calf chukkas NIB for $100 give or take from the Bay, AE Outlet, or STP channels. I would definitely prefer to have that to one pair of $1000 casual shoes.

2. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

I would say that anyone who has less than ten pairs of business shoes hasn't got the "shoe bug" in its advanced form. [​IMG]

TB, you must be the man with the most shoes between Milwaukee and Ellison Bay. [​IMG]

3. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

TB, you must be the man with the most shoes between Milwaukee and Ellison Bay. [​IMG]

That is possible. I'm not aware of a competitor within Northeast Wisconsin business circles (where I'm a pretty familiar figure). But of course some people on this board have me beat. [​IMG]

4. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

OP,

Sounds like your boss has not been looking beyond AEs. There are other options out there, as we all know here. English makes like C&J are at least on par.

5. Charlie

Charlie Senior member

I have eight pair, and hope to add more. I love the shoes with one caveat - I think the current PAs are kind of funny looking - the disconinued Byrons are a much better looking cap-toe.

6. Sator

Sator Senior member

I must say I always find this putting down of Allen Edmonds here as not being sufficiently elegant to be incomprehensible. So to illustrate my point I thought I would place my Park Avenues side by side with a pair of Edward Green Chelseas on the 202 last:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]I

I have shown them from three slightly different angles as some shots show one pair or the other from a slight angle.

I think people look at the price tag and suddenly see "blobby" and "inelegant" because AEs are less expensive.

7. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Thanks for the pix. I see your point. Are the leathers and soles of comparable quality?

8. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

I think people look at the price tag and suddenly see "blobby" and "inelegant" because AEs are less expensive.
    +1000
    For all their protestations of "style", there's a lot of label whoring going on on the boards.

9. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

I must say I always find this putting down of Allen Edmonds here as not being sufficiently elegant to be incomprehensible. So to illustrate my point I thought I would place my Park Avenues side by side with a pair of Edward Green Chelseas on the 202 last:

I have shown them from three slightly different angles as some shots show one pair or the other from a slight angle.

Killer demonstration. Nicely done. There's a reason why many "taste tests" are done "blind" -- knowing the source of a product, with all that implies, really biases perceptions, as any social scientist could affirm.

10. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Allen Edmonds are generally regarded as the standard bearer of good shoes on this forum. Owning tens pairs of dress shoes from one company doesn't seem entirely ridiculous when comparing sheer numbers with a few of the "aficionados" and collectors that populate this board.

Re: EG and Allen Edmonds
    Please note the "fullness" of the waist and arch in the Allen Edmonds. Aesthetically the two shoes are quite similar, though I find the fit on the two lasts completely different. A 7.5D 202 (English width) is a near perfect match for my feet while a comparable AE #1 last 7.5C or 8C is extremely uncomfortable.

EDIT: The Park Ave. is on the number 5 last. I hate that last. The only AE last I find really comfortable is the defunct #4.

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Re: EG and Allen Edmonds
    Please note the "fullness" of the waist and arch in the Allen Edmonds. Aesthetically the two shoes are quite similar, though I find the fit on the two lasts completely different. A 7.5D 202 (English width) is a near perfect match for my feet while a comparable AE #1 last 7.5C or 8C is extremely uncomfortable.

But, in point of fact, the Park Avenues are not on the #1 last. They're on the much different #5 last.

12. Lawman

Lawman Senior member

That illustration of AE juxtaposed with EG is pretty dramatic. I have never come close to understanding the elegant vs. clunky thing, except at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Best I can tell, pointy=elegant and rounded=clunky for most of the elegance touters. Don't get me wrong, the antiquing and leathers on the uber high end shoes are absolutely incredible. When one begins talking about inelegant lasts, however, I begin to lose sight of the debate.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I'll add to that, i've never understand how they define AE shoes as clunky. By Comparison to Ferragamo or Santoni maybe, which in many cases are a more fashion forward shoe, featuring many times a thinner sole, or slimmer look.

however when you compaire to a brand like Alden, i dont see how that can be the case, they appear to me to be every bit as clunky as AE, if thats how you want to define them.

Clunky in my eyes, defines the square toe, "amjack" style shoes that are seen....EVERYWHEREs, the kennith cole style shoes.

AE, Alden, and the Italian shoes are mentioned are NOT clunky by comparison to those.

I personally find that my AE shoes crease much harder then the Ferragamos i wear.

14. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

+1, Sator.

I have 7 pairs of dress and dress-casual AEs (brown double-monk strap cap-toe Moras, black Westgate wholecuts, black Bruzzano horse bit loafers, chili Hastings wholecuts, chili Stockbridge NSTs, black Warren bicycle toe bluchers and tan Slayton 4-eyelet bluchers). These are great shoes at this pricepoint.

I wouldn't say that they have the craftsmanship and leather quality of Edward Greens, Lobbs, etc. However, they do compare favorably with (dare I say?) my Aldens and BB Peal & Co.s.

If you view the best English shoes (and continentals like Vass and JM Weston) are the Bentleys (or Ferraris, if you will) of men's footwear, then AEs are the BMWs and Mercedes Benzes - not exotic, but solid and high performance nonetheless.

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I happen to be wearing one of my three pairs of Ferragamos today. They have a very rounded toe and are every bit as "blobby" as any A-Es I own.

Like an earlier poster, I too have size 13 feet, and I am not particularly enamored with pointy or (blasphemy!) chisel toes. When Allen-Edmonds bought out the Seneca, which had a fairly pointed toe and was on the #5, their longest, sleekest last, I was interested in them, but when I saw them on my feet, they had an elongating effect that made them look like clown shoes! I know I'll be stepping on a lot of toes here (pun intended), but frankly, at least to me, a lot of chisel toe shoe styles look sort of effete or elvish or maybe like shoes for effete elves!

16. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

To be fair, I think the 202 last is a little blobby [​IMG].

17. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

To be fair, I think the 202 last is a little blobby [​IMG].

I'm wearing EG Cardiffs on the 202 today, and I have to say, they're not that far off their AE cousins.

I wouldn't choose AE for, say, a sleek two-eyelet blucher, but I quite like some of the sturdier styles, particularly the chunky bluchers. They're great for cords and all sorts of heavier cloths, and even for khakis and the like in warmer weather.

18. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I have to say, that I was extremely against AE until I recently acquired a pair of Strands on the #5 last in 1/2 size smaller than I usually wear in other shoes. I must say I love the fit, the sleek profile & view from the top. I love the shape of the sole, I just wish they were calf.

[​IMG]

19. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

II must say I love the fit, the sleek profile & view from the top. I love the shape of the sole, I just wish they were calf.

So what do you think they are?

20. Sator

Sator Senior member

The Park Ave. is on the number 5 last. I hate that last. The only AE last I find really comfortable is the defunct #4.

Well, we all have different feet. For me, I find that the Nr 5 last is possibly the best fitting RTW last I have ever tried. It fits me better than any C&J, Tricker's, Church's, Vass, EG, JLP, Alden, JMW, Ferragamo, Santoni or Sutor Mantellassi I have tried.