• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 Dirty Little Restaurant Secrets

fog

Reaction score
sickkk, i took the time to read all of the comments left by readers and there are some gross stories indeed!

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Doctoring up truffle dishes is probably pretty easy. Like using a truffle shaving as a garnish, but using truffle oil or truffle juice for the actual flavoring. The oil and juice costs a lot less money, but the shaving would give the impression that the dish was made using real truffles. I imagine that kind of thing happens at a lot of places. But doctoring up actual truffles that are shaved tableside would be pretty hard.

http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Williams-.../dp/B00005NUVV

K

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Things couldn't be simpler: if you want a new bottle, you buy a bottle. End of story. That's how it works in every bar or club.

Well, like I said, we were just there to have a drink before heading out to dinner and see what all the hullabaloo was about Light as none of us are into the club scene and have never been in it. I guess the fault we had was being used to getting actual decent service in regular bars and restaurants.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why our truffles taste so.... earthy.
smile.gif

I thought you just liked to earthy smell on your privates to lure in truffle hogs.
lol8[1].gif

Doctoring up truffle dishes is probably pretty easy. Like using a truffle shaving as a garnish, but using truffle oil or truffle juice for the actual flavoring. The oil and juice costs a lot less money, but the shaving would give the impression that the dish was made using real truffles. I imagine that kind of thing happens at a lot of places. But doctoring up actual truffles that are shaved tableside would be pretty hard.

Yep, as Coi's Daniel Paterson points out. I actually ordered some 2,4-dithiapentane from Sigma when I was at my old lab... it was odd, like smelling a container of synthetic truffle.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a funny story about truffles. I was eating at spiaggia, complements of one of my childhood friends' dad who was in town. Naturally, I order something relatively reasonable (pasta dish, little meat, probably 2nd or 3rd cheapest entree. Essentially elaborate pasta with ragu...) and the prick of a waiter says would you like that garnished with truffles?

Yeah sure, why not (I was in the middle of a deep conversation, I don't even remember saying yes).

Turns out they had just got a shipment of white truffles and charged my friends dad an extra $90, on top of my $40 entree. So basically pre-10% tax and 20% tip, my ****** ragu pasta dish was $130. Add to it the fact that I hardly noticed the truffles (who could when they're soaked in ragu?).

Bastards.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most, if not all, truffle oil is synthetically flavored anyway. That sounds like a strong statement, but I talked to several truffle dealers in Alba last year and was told the same thing.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All truffle oil is synthetic not only because it is a nice gimmick but because truffle oils are too volatile to even be extracted and bottled.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I thought you just liked to earthy smell on your privates to lure in truffle hogs.
lol8[1].gif

DAMN, That's the treatment I get before you meet my gf??? Watch yourself, or I'll tell her you called her a truffle hog.
smile.gif

Yep, as Coi's Daniel Paterson points out. I actually ordered some 2,4-dithiapentane from Sigma when I was at my old lab... it was odd, like smelling a container of synthetic truffle.
Speaking of Coi, have you been? I'm trying to find out a trustworthy opinion of the place, and my usual restaurant critic, Matt, is an old fuddy duddy when it comes to newer techniques like the ones used at Coi.
Originally Posted by sushijerk
All truffle oil is synthetic not only because it is a nice gimmick but because truffle oils are too volatile to even be extracted and bottled.

Most of the time, "truffle oil" refers to a neutral oil that is flavored with truffles either through maceration, steeping, heat application, or synthetically. I don't think it ever refers to the actual oil of a truffle.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was under the impression from what they told me that the truffle flavoring was synthetic.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I was under the impression from what they told me that the truffle flavoring was synthetic.

I'm sure that most of the product on the market is flavored synthetically. But there are also some oils (obviously cost a lot more) that are made through maceration or steeping of actual truffle.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure that most of the product on the market is flavored synthetically. But there are also some oils (obviously cost a lot more) that are made through maceration or steeping of actual truffle.

I trust you on that.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another Bourdain secret is to check out the bathroom. Dirty bathroom means dirtier kitchen because they actually let you see the bathroom.

Also, I wouldn't order from a place too close to closing time since many places start cleaning up like an hour before closing. You might end up with some bleach in your soup.

There was a funny youtube video a while back on a pretentious place that served a bunch of different kinds of water. The waiter took the bottles out back and filled them with a hose and then filmed the people's reaction to the flavor. All the customers detected a hint of this and that.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DAMN, That's the treatment I get before you meet my gf??? Watch yourself, or I'll tell her you called her a truffle hog.
smile.gif

Speaking of Coi, have you been? I'm trying to find out a trustworthy opinion of the place, and my usual restaurant critic, Matt, is an old fuddy duddy when it comes to newer techniques like the ones used at Coi.

Haha, I'm sure she's far from a truffle hog, although even if she were a supermodel, there HAS to be something wrong with her if she's dating you.
devil.gif

Yeah, only once, unfortunately, back in '07, but I've been meaning to go back since moving back from DC. I can't say my meal was representative of the usual meal since when I went, it was via an invite by Paul Einbund, the original sommelier and co-owner, as he was my table's sommelier at the final Masters of Food and Wine dinner a few years ago, and as such, I probably got some extra or special courses. I should try and reconnect with that guy... he's a freaking amazing sommelier. Anyway, I would say the food can be polarizing -- I can see how some people would consider it to be overrated while others would consider it the best in SF. First, the decor itself at the time was quite minimalist, all white with some wood accents, dimly lit; it almost felt like I was in a modern art museum. This translates to the food as well which tastes and looks clean and simple, but after hearing the description from Patterson are revealed to be complex... lots of different flavors working together delicately and balanced with some molecular prep spin. My friend described it as intellectual food, which makes sense if you talk to or read Patterson's writings. And if you do talk to him, maybe you'll get the same impression I did -- Crispin Glover. The guy is sort of tall and thin, but also has a passion and an intensity that borders on maniacal, despite seeming friendly; it felt like the guy was always thinking or plotting something. His wife was supposed to be delivering their baby sometime that week, so maybe he was a bit out of it due to that. The ingredients are fresh and top notch, as you'd expect, and he does get a bit out there with the food "perfume" that he serves on the plate and says you can dab on yourself (he also sells it by the bottle), since it gives the essence of flavor without tasting. I've had friends tell me they expected more for the ~$120 tasting, but I think that's because the menu is vegetable heavy, and most people equate a higher price with "valuable" meat courses instead of courses with equally expensive local produce.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been meaning to go there for a long time now. I pass by it everyday to and from work. Maybe double up one night with dessert at Centerfolds.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Haha, I'm sure she's far from a truffle hog, although even if she were a supermodel, there HAS to be something wrong with her if she's dating you.
devil.gif

That's what I keep saying. You'd think after four years I'd have figured it out. Increasingly, it seems as if the only major fault with her is the fact that she's dating me.

Yeah, only once, unfortunately, back in '07, but I've been meaning to go back since moving back from DC. I can't say my meal was representative of the usual meal since when I went, it was via an invite by Paul Einbund, the original sommelier and co-owner, as he was my table's sommelier at the final Masters of Food and Wine dinner a few years ago, and as such, I probably got some extra or special courses. I should try and reconnect with that guy... he's a freaking amazing sommelier. Anyway, I would say the food can be polarizing -- I can see how some people would consider it to be overrated while others would consider it the best in SF. First, the decor itself at the time was quite minimalist, all white with some wood accents, dimly lit; it almost felt like I was in a modern art museum. This translates to the food as well which tastes and looks clean and simple, but after hearing the description from Patterson are revealed to be complex... lots of different flavors working together delicately and balanced with some molecular prep spin. My friend described it as intellectual food, which makes sense if you talk to or read Patterson's writings. And if you do talk to him, maybe you'll get the same impression I did -- Crispin Glover. The guy is sort of tall and thin, but also has a passion and an intensity that borders on maniacal, despite seeming friendly; it felt like the guy was always thinking or plotting something. His wife was supposed to be delivering their baby sometime that week, so maybe he was a bit out of it due to that. The ingredients are fresh and top notch, as you'd expect, and he does get a bit out there with the food "perfume" that he serves on the plate and says you can dab on yourself (he also sells it by the bottle), since it gives the essence of flavor without tasting. I've had friends tell me they expected more for the ~$120 tasting, but I think that's because the menu is vegetable heavy, and most people equate a higher price with "valuable" meat courses instead of courses with equally expensive local produce.
Originally Posted by binge
I've been meaning to go there for a long time now. I pass by it everyday to and from work. Maybe double up one night with dessert at Centerfolds.

Cool, I trust you guys. I was probably going to go at some point no matter what, because it seems at the very least interesting enough to try it and to form my own opinion. From what I've read and seen, he seems to be a very subtle master of flavor. His writings and articles just make me want to sample his food even more.

BTW, have either of you been to Commis in Oakland? It seems to be the place that Michael Bauer's boyfriend basically blabbed about a poor review on twitter, if you've heard anything about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads