• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$10.95 Marbury Shoes

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone was arguing the fungibility of cheap labor. I just wanted to see how people felt about it.

Max

Reaction score
Yo, I'll take three pairs of the low tops in white, please. Thanks.

tundrafour

Reaction score
The point of wearing $100+ basketball shoes is to show off something that everyone knows cost a lot of money. Cheap shoes are nothing new; even cheap shoes endorsed by professional athletes are, as others have already pointed out, not new. In spite of the fact that these shoes may be of similar quality to more expensive brands and in spite of Marbury's good intentions in endorsing them, they're an answer to a problem that doesn't really exist. There's no real dearth of cheap shoes, there's just a lack of cheap shoes that are also cool. And since coolness is defined largely by price and accessibility (or lack thereof), these shoes aren't and won't be cool. If Air Jordans, etc., had cost $11 when they first came out, would anyone really have wanted them?

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tundrafour
The point of wearing $100+ basketball shoes is to show off something that everyone knows cost a lot of money. Cheap shoes are nothing new; even cheap shoes endorsed by professional athletes are, as others have already pointed out, not new.

In spite of the fact that these shoes may be of similar quality to more expensive brands and in spite of Marbury's good intentions in endorsing them, they're an answer to a problem that doesn't really exist. There's no real dearth of cheap shoes, there's just a lack of cheap shoes that are also cool. And since coolness is defined largely by price and accessibility (or lack thereof), these shoes aren't and won't be cool.

If Air Jordans, etc., had cost $11 when they first came out, would anyone really have wanted them?

I've seen the Starburys in person at my local Steve & Barry's. They actually are pretty cool for a cheap shoe (with the exception of the runner, which looked like ass). The construction quality is as good as an entry-level Nike and they were flying off the shelf. i can't voch for the comfort, because my size was sold out, but if the shoe holds up more than 4 months without causing blisters, they've got the $60.00 and under sneaker market equalled.

The reason this is different than a Starter, Cross-Trekker, Voit, Shaq, or whatever is that this shoe and assoicated clothing line is marketed and sold as a coordinated collection with decent fabrications and designs. It'll never be Air Jordan, but Air Jordan isn't what it used to be back in the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads