• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10,000 B.c.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody planning to see this flick? I kind of like good caveman movies like "Quest for Fire" and "Clan of the Cave Bear," but this one seems to have the most bizarre batch of anachronisms imaginable: Just based on the coming attractions and websites, I have discerned the following:

There is a phorusrhacid "terror" bird. These were only found in South America and became extinct two million years ago.

There is a sabretoothed cat (about two to three times the size of the largest real sabretooths). These animals became extinct in the New World possibly as recently as 6,000 B.C. However, they became extinct in Eurasia in the mid-Pleistocene, hundreds of thousands of years ago!

The cave boys evidently encounter a level of civilization that didn't exist until about 4,000 B.C.

There are guys riding on horseback, a practice that didn't become established until after 2,000 B.C.

It may be kind of a fun movie if taken as pure fantasy, but it sure is rife with a strange and eclectic blend of anachronistic elements spanning literally millions of years. They might as well have thrown in a few dinosaurs for good measure!

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Anybody planning to see this flick? I kind of like good caveman movies like "Quest for Fire" and "Clan of the Cave Bear," but this one seems to have the most bizarre batch of anachronisms imaginable: Just based on the coming attractions and websites, I have discerned the following:

There is a phorusrhacid "terror" bird. These were only found in South America and became extinct two million years ago.

There is a sabretoothed cat (about two to three times the size of the largest real sabretooths). These animals became extinct in the New World possibly as recently as 6,000 B.C. However, they became extinct in Eurasia in the mid-Pleistocene, hundreds of thousands of years ago!

The cave boys evidently encounter a level of civilization that didn't exist until about 4,000 B.C.

There are guys riding on horseback, a practice that didn't become established until after 2,000 B.C.

It may be kind of a fun movie if taken as pure fantasy, but it sure is rife with a strange and eclectic blend of anachronistic elements spanning literally millions of years. They might as well have thrown in a few dinosaurs for good measure!

It's a movie aimed at people who think 300 and Spiderman are good films. What do you expect?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There also appear to be pyramids.

I tend to suspect it's aimed at types who thinks by viewing this film, they have become "aware of history."

Karo

Reaction score
Its a movie, they want to make it interesting with everything bigger and badder, and lets not forget the ******* and asses.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I actually do plan on seeing it, as it looks entertaining, if you take it with a realistic view of history. I'm only afraid that the movie will be packed and I'll be one of the few who realizes that it was most likely impossible to have any number of those things be real.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't it a remake of a movie that was quite abysmal in the first place?
If I'm thinking of the correct movie, the only redeeming feature of the original was seeing either Raquel Welch or Barbara Bach (I forget which) running around in a fur bikini...

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Isn't it a remake of a movie that was quite abysmal in the first place?

Abysmal is not the word that comes to my mind.

raquel_welch.jpg

lefty

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
It's a movie aimed at people who think 300 and Spiderman are good films. What do you expect?
Replace 300 with Boondock Saints.

I'm seeing it for the stampede only.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a movie, go read a book if you want something cerebral.

I thoroughly enjoyed both The Day After Tomorrow and Independance Day, so I look forward to this.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
It's a movie, go read a book if you want something cerebral.
I thoroughly enjoyed both The Day After Tomorrow and Independance Day, so I look forward to this.

Are you Ign'rant or what?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
NPR is doing a piece on this movie right now. Not entirely negative but they emphasize that this is in the vein of the classic saturday matinee. They will probably re-air the review 57 times today and put it online if anyone is interested.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the purpose of such films was to give the New York Times something funny to write about.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry, I am going to see it. I think that it looks entertaining.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Are you Ign'rant or what?
Maybe I am, maybe I ain't. What's it to you, city slicker egghead?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads