• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10,000 B.c.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like fun, I'll go and be mindless for 2 hours. Exactly what I need right now.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't go to movies to think, contemplate, and ponders the issues of the world. It's a fantasy land of 2 hours of mind escape.

I'm excited to go see it next weekend.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I don't go to movies to think, contemplate, and ponders the issues of the world. It's a fantasy land of 2 hours of mind escape.

I'm excited to go see it next weekend.

+1000

I don't listen to sad music or read anything without lotsa pictures.
Go Red Skins.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You think this is a shoo-in for next year's Oscars?

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Looks like fun, I'll go and be mindless for 2 hours. Exactly what I need right now.
There is mindless and then there is this....excrement.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I have to say is, homeless people, you thought your lives were bad? Well, you didn't just see 10,000 BC.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrible movie. I still
inlove.gif
Camilla Belle though...

Hugo

Reaction score
Sounds like a really bad movie.

I'm going to see it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The movie could have been fun if it were a silent film. Unfortunately, they opened their mouths and ruined it. Seriously, I expected mindless fun and enjoy Saturday-matinee style movies just for something to do (I wasn't expecting Rashomon or anything), but this movie has perhaps the worst dialogue of any movie I've ever seen. The lines were so bad from the very start that after I while I had to tune them out just to keep from cringing... and just seeing their lips move, I cringed anyway.

"No, the spear belongs to you, Great Hunter!" or when the two leads are kids and falling in love, the boy says while pointing to the North Star. "You see that star, which doesn't move? It's like my love for you. It never goes away." Then, every main character death scene took ten minutes and of course they had to have the obligatory "rouse the troops" speech by the leader of the rebel group (but, compared to Braveheart or Gladiator, this one just made me laugh.)

I really don't see how, in the editing room, Emmerich could have kept from saying to himself, "Good lord, this is terrible. We spent HOW MUCH on this?"

The historical inaccuracies didn't bother me; as others have said, I wasn't watching a Eugen Weber PBS special and didn't expect to be. Nevertheless, I had trouble figuring out who the ancient advanced race was supposed to be... one guy looked sort of Indian, then the guys on horses looked like Sicilians, then some of the other acolytes looked Hispanic, and the "Almighty" looked like a really tall old British guy. But, the styling cues ripped off "Apocalypto" and so the whole thing looked rather Mayan, except with Egyptian buildings.

tlaxa

Reaction score
One thing I have always wondered: How exactly do they deal with historic inaccuracies in movies? Especially inaccuracies that are so extreme anyone with a high school certificate would know it.

Do producers and directors sit around going "Well, I know that Emperor Bob Babushka wasn't a Roman ruler, he didn't stand on a bridge holding off 20,000 American soldiers with a trident, and he wasn't the first man to land on the moon...but let's put it in anyway."

Although I can understand movies are all about entertainment, it's a bit sad when someone comes up to you and goes "Hey, did you hear about the American-Australian war in 1982?"

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ I'll not have you badmouthing the Australian-American war of 1982. Just try and imagine how the US economy would be now without the annexation of New South Wales.

J/k... I'm in full agreement with you. Movies should be fun, but after the first line was uttered in 10,000 BC it became just farcical and absurd. Whether a Saturday matinee meant for pure fun or a great piece of art, in order to be anything worthwhile the viewer has to identify or see some connection with the characters. Indiana Jones was meant to be a Saturday matinee type movie, and it's great. Star Wars was, too. But, even when they are having fun with history or with believability, nevertheless they still try to connect to an audience beyond just being ridiculous or trying to see how cool they can make CG graphics (and, in 10K BC's case, they failed all the way around. Those ostrich/dinosaur things just looked hilarious).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads