1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Tck13, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Link

Not sure if this needs much of a description.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

There really needs to be a better market for careers in art history, music therapy, and literature. Someone needs to do something about this problem or we will continue to waste our most valuable resource: bright young minds.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Are they saying it takes an undergrad degree to be a bank teller? :confused:

4. MrG

MrG Senior member

This is what happens when too many people have college degrees.

5. why

why Senior member

This is what happens when graduating from high school only requires showing up and all actual teaching happens in post-secondary school.

6. Piobaire

From the link:

File that under, "No shit, Sherlock."

Under the same heading:

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Lesson: major in economics, finance, statistics, math, computer science, any type of engineering, physics, chemistry, biology, or accounting.

8. Piobaire

Or nursing, PT, OT, ST, medicine, or a PA program.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

or if you major in the humanities get internships, work study and work experience, and learn how to explain your degree to prospective employers.

there's a lot of people in my grad program who are really clueless and are like 'welp I'll just be a teacher!' while I kill myself networking/setting myself up for later. and then they come up to me and are like 'how are you the adjunct advisor in the department?' 'how do you have this job?' 'how did you get that internship?' and its cause i went out there and got em! hard work.

10. Piobaire

Dammit, teger, you're starting to sound like me!

:fistbump:

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

I've always said that. I think that the humanities job placement statistics are screwed because humanities encompasses so many majors, and a lot of people 'fall' into programs like psychology or anthropology because they can't make the GPA reqs in other departments. if you work hard and make connections then you can land a job with any major.

as part of my advising job i put together a 3 day long 'career week' for my department. we had 20 speakers come in and speak about resume building, networking, etc. was really great (and is a great resume line for me). sadly very few students took advantage of it, and those who did were seniors.. and I'm sure it helped, but when you're a senior it's almost too late.

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I found science academics to be interesting in that regard. You spend a lot of time and energy learning how to do research, play the right games for academics, but much of that will not help you get a job. And your adviser is frequently either not interested or not knowledgeable about what you ought to be doing to get a job after graduation provided you don't want to go into academics. It makes for tough transitions for a lot of people.

My department did almost nothing to guide us into developing a network or pursuing career opportunities before graduation. The school career center did some stuff, but they don't really understand specialized markets very well. Looking back, I could have done a lot of really good stuff (internships that provided security clearances, for one) but simply had no idea they existed or would be important.

I have a number of friends who are teachers in the sciences who are seriously underemployed (teaching one or two classes at community colleges). It's also not any kind of a sure deal to find a decent job in chemistry (and for damn sure not in physics) unless you had the foresight to get into a branch that's in demand. That's not at all obvious when you're trying to plan your career in the early stages. Then again, chemists have been historically very spoiled: had something like 3% unemployment for a very long time, so there was huge demand even for brand new grads. Less so right now. I assume it will recover, but it's bad timing for those of us who happen to be entering the market.

Engineering seems pretty solid, more companies are more interested in implementation than basic R&D right now so far as I can tell.

13. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

My brother-in-law got a PhD in chemistry from one of the top universities in his field, and further appalled his lawyer father by announcing that he wanted to teach high school. He moved to the middle of nowhere in Illinois (where my sister got a job teaching undergrads with HER PhD), and found that the hiring politics in the public schools were so weird that he couldn't get work except for occasional subbing and maintaining the computer center.

14. Teger

Teger Senior member

I mean, does he have a teaching degree? because simply having a PhD in chemistry doesn't mean you're licensed to teach..

15. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

:nodding: