• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1-button suit to 2-button suit?

airbag

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is feasible and, if so, how it might look?

Has anyone had this type of conversion done to suit jacket?

Thanks.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airbag
Does anyone know if this is feasible and, if so, how it might look?

Has anyone had this type of conversion done to suit jacket?

Thanks.

It is definitely doable. Cut a slot for the extra button, sew up the edges. Then sew on a button. Then post pictures here.

Rossini

Reaction score
Whether it is technically possible or not is one question. Why you would want to do this is another. If the jacket is designed to be one button, it will always look best that way. If you want a two button then you're better off looking elsewhere.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It depends on the button placement. Some makers place the button on a one-button suit exactly where the functioning button would be on a two or three button suit. In that case, you won't have any problems. The only trouble you'll have is if the button on the one-button suit is lower than where it would be in one of the other formats; adding another button beneath may make things look awfully unbalanced.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I was just joking. It is NOT doable. Especially since one button jackets have more material cut away in the quarters. So if you were to add a button below the current single button, it would be just for decoration since I don't imagine you'd ever button it. But it would look strange since the button and it's corresponding buttonhole would be very far apart. Actuallly, now that I just looked at my single button suit and tried to imagine it, I don't think it'd look half bad.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It depends on the button placement. Some makers place the button on a one-button suit exactly where the functioning button would be on a two or three button suit. In that case, you won't have any problems. The only trouble you'll have is if the button on the one-button suit is lower than where it would be in one of the other formats; adding another button beneath may make things look awfully unbalanced.

Yes, and some place it slightly higher. I was imagining if it was placed higher, then a second one could theoretically be added below. But again, it would still look odd since the quarters are different on a one button and a two button suit. The second button would just look odd.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. A second button, whether functional or not would dedandify it somewhat.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make up your mind sonlegoman!
crazy.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Yes, and some place it slightly higher. I was imagining if it was placed higher, then a second one could theoretically be added below. But again, it would still look odd since the quarters are different on a one button and a two button suit. The second button would just look odd.

The quarters are not necessarily different. Many (perhaps most) bespoke makers will put the buttoning point exactly in the same place for a three, one or two button jacket, and many will cut the quarters exactly the same. For such makers, it is the lapel roll that might vary for effect.

The maker most associated with a single button front, Huntsman, does not cut the quarters quarters away from the buttoning point, e.g.:

HOME02.JPG

contact01.jpg

hhuntsmandr7.jpg

Overall, I do not see the merits of trying to convert a single button jacket to a two button jacket given that it is inherently nicer as a single button.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads