• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$1,000 suit

codetomorrow

Reaction score
I'm getting really frustrated. I've asked a bunch of questions and searched a bunch. But the problem is that I know so little that I don't even know what I don't know. What makes a good suit? Is there an newby page that has everything laid out? Say I've got $1,000 to buy my one and only suit. To go with my AE or Alden shoes, what do I buy? where? What brand? Color? I don't even really know what bespoke is or how to get that. I'm in northern california. I am coming to the conclusion to non-fused (but what does this matter?) I don't know what materials and styles are best. Dark charcoal i've settled on for a color. I'm not worried about getting a good deal or paying less than retail. I just want to walk in to a store with $1,000 and buy a suit that would make the grade.

Will someone take me under their wing and help me out with this? Otherwise I'm going to say screw it and buy a hugo boss cause at least I know that will drive people crazy on here lol.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart is planning a big after xmas sale including their Oxxford and St. Andrews made lines.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by codetomorrow
I'm getting really frustrated. I've asked a bunch of questions and searched a bunch. But the problem is that I know so little that I don't even know what I don't know. What makes a good suit? Is there an newby page that has everything laid out? Say I've got $1,000 to buy my one and only suit. To go with my AE or Alden shoes, what do I buy? where? What brand? Color? I don't even really know what bespoke is or how to get that. I'm in northern california. I am coming to the conclusion to non-fused (but what does this matter?) I don't know what materials and styles are best. Dark charcoal i've settled on for a color. I'm not worried about getting a good deal or paying less than retail. I just want to walk in to a store with $1,000 and buy a suit that would make the grade.

Will someone take me under their wing and help me out with this? Otherwise I'm going to say screw it and buy a hugo boss cause at least I know that will drive people crazy on here lol.

if you look good in it, then why not?
should you really get a hugo boss suit just to drive people on this forum crazy? no... that's really stupid
i just bought a hugo boss suit myself ... THEN i discovered this forum
did i have some buyer's remorse? a little bit
especially since everyone talks about how a hugo boss suit is fine only if u get it for $250 or $300
(please show me these deals ...)
but am i going to lose sleep over it? no

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
yeah? any word on their Phineas stuff?

You need more of that!!! Get me one too.
lol8[1].gif

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting really frustrated. I've asked a bunch of questions and searched a bunch. But the problem is that I know so little that I don't even know what I don't know. What makes a good suit? Is there an newby page that has everything laid out? Say I've got $1,000 to buy my one and only suit. To go with my AE or Alden shoes, what do I buy? where? What brand? Color? I don't even really know what bespoke is or how to get that. I'm in northern california. I am coming to the conclusion to non-fused (but what does this matter?) I don't know what materials and styles are best. Dark charcoal i've settled on for a color. I'm not worried about getting a good deal or paying less than retail. I just want to walk in to a store with $1,000 and buy a suit that would make the grade. Will someone take me under their wing and help me out with this? Otherwise I'm going to say screw it and buy a hugo boss cause at least I know that will drive people crazy on here lol.
What makes a nice suit? Quality fabrics, quality construction (time, methods such as canvassing or fusing), fit/cut (you don't want a generic shape cut that fits a lot of bodies like many cheaper brands do.) Fused suits vs canvassed suits aren't the end all points that make a good or bad suit, but you won't find many cheaply made canvassed suits because they take longer and are more expensive to make, while you will find many cheap fused suits. I think I saw somewhere that it takes about 3 hours to make a fused suits, while many high end canvassed suits take 50 hours to make. Generally, companies that use fusing also cut corners in other areas. Spending your money wisely From what I've found, the best I can do for my money is always online. I've looked at a bunch of different places, outlets, sales, etc, but since I know my measurements well, the internet has been my best bet in finding suits and coats. If you haven't done it before and don't know your measurements, it's probably not the best idea. Color Depending on its purpose, you can't go wrong with navy or grey. I like to have a pinstripe or chalkstripe in mine to give it more character.

Jay

Reaction score
Don't forget to include the cost of tailoring in your budget; the cost will vary based on how the suit fits you off the rack.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting really frustrated. I've asked a bunch of questions and searched a bunch. But the problem is that I know so little that I don't even know what I don't know. What makes a good suit? Is there an newby page that has everything laid out? Say I've got $1,000 to buy my one and only suit. To go with my AE or Alden shoes, what do I buy? where? What brand? Color? I don't even really know what bespoke is or how to get that. I'm in northern california. I am coming to the conclusion to non-fused (but what does this matter?) I don't know what materials and styles are best. Dark charcoal i've settled on for a color. I'm not worried about getting a good deal or paying less than retail. I just want to walk in to a store with $1,000 and buy a suit that would make the grade. Will someone take me under their wing and help me out with this? Otherwise I'm going to say screw it and buy a hugo boss cause at least I know that will drive people crazy on here lol.
If I were you, I'd go to a traveling bespoke tailor on their next tour to San Francisco to get the most bang for your buck, even though I know you said you wanted to go to a store. Gordon Yao is highly recommended on this forum and he makes full-canvass bespoke suits for ~$750 for labor, do a search. Choose and buy your wool from Huddersfield online English cloth merchants, one of the cheapest out there, and give it to him; the wool is about $200 and that'll take you to your budget. Get a twill or other simple pattern for your charcoal. Already by doing that you have a lot more flexibility and customization than if you choose to spend that $1000 on a fused department store suit... and it'll look 10x better because it's bespoke. Regarding fused vs full-canvassed- I had to get both made before I could believe there is a difference... and it is indeed noticeable. There is greater bagginess and less structure around the chest in fused suits that makes the jacket look more shirt-like and informal.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

there are many suits that fit the bill just because many folks around here only buy discount doesnt devalue an item. some like to hound out the deal others just want convenience and have no problem paying for it

that said, canali, hickey freeman, zegna, pal zileri, isaia are all worth the money and can be found without too much difficulty in your price range, there are more as well. a canvassed suit is impotant as it will "mold" to your body and will last through dry cleaning without bubbling. find any of these suits or a travelling bespoke maker as recommended above. make sure the fit compliments your body type, get a color and pattern that is versatile as this is your first good suit not your 10th and you should be fine

good luck and dont make yourself crazy be happy with your purchase if you end up looking good in it

spatten

Reaction score
I'd say figure out what's important to you.

For some it may be cut, for some fit, for others brand consistency, and even others fabric. The more of these qualities you want the more you are going to pay.

I have extremely sensitive skin and for me the most important aspect of a suit is fabric. I'm willing to pay more for a much better fabric than I am for the exact correct cut or pocket detail.

Having taken the time to actually sew a few vests and trousers, I've seen the differences in interfacing available. People on this board tend to get caught up in the fused vs. canvas. I think that's a false dichotomy and ignores the qualities of the interfacing. A hand sown canvas can be crap, and a fused interfacing can be passable.

You've mentioned that you don't know much yet - and that's okay. I woud take yourself to a high end store and try on a few jackets and compare. Then go to men's warehouse and try on a few. If you don't notice the differences then don't spend 1000$ on a suit - or spend some more time on this board looking at the pictures. I would avoid a bespoke (made to order) suit for my first purchase - buy off the rack until you know what you like. I think it's a chance for way too many things to go wrong until you know what you like. My advice is to go to Neiman's during their last call and pick up a Brioni/Zegna/Canali at 75% off. It's hard to go wrong there.

Dark charcol is great. That was my first real suit - A Canali. Try on 2 or 3 button, see which looks better on you (this doesn't take a genius.) Don't worry excessively about the vent in back, the 3 main options are all acceptable at most levels of society. Don't let the tailor make the sleeves too long, and that should cover most of it.

S. Able

Reaction score
My 2 cents...

If you have a grand, check out Hickey Freeman (discussed at length), H. Freeman (different company) and Samuelsohn. You may need to wait for a small sale for Hickey and Samuelsohn.
Solid charcoal or navy will do you just fine. If you have blonde hair and pale skin, go with navy.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for color, I'd recommend a first suit be gray--charcoal or darker. A gray suit will take you everywhere a navy suit will (weddings, job interviews) with the added benefit of being appropriate for funerals.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. You have been asking asking a bunch of questions that have been discussed ad nauseum. How about not posting questions and just reading? Just read threads concerning different topics. Then you will learn what questions to ask.

Also, your personality leads me to believe that your avatar is actually you and not a joke. I'd change that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads