• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

05-06 Volvo V50 or Saab 9-3 Sportcombi

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'll be starting school back up again after a a few years off and am looking for a reliable car to get me back and forth. I've always been into European cars, but Saabs have been my latest thing. The newer Volvo models also spark my interest. My question is which would you go with, either an '05 or '06 Volvo V50 wagon or a Saab 9-3 Sportcombi? They will both be base models (2.4i for the Volvo, 2.0t for the Saab). My price range is about $13k and I've been looking at a few on eBay and at out-of-state dealers, as both models are not the easiest to find.

00.jpg

55c3_4.JPG

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually tend to like Saab's sporty look, but I'm not really feeling the pictured car. I would more than likely prefer the Volvo.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saab's reliability in 9-3 configuration has been spotty, and I've owned most of them (love my new 9-5, though+zero issues). So, a Volvo would be a better choice...Audi A4 is something to look at...but price-wise, expect it to be a few $K more

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Audi - I've owned several Audis in the past and while they are well-designed cars, they're not the cheapest to maintain. Also, an auto transmission will be needed in this vehicle due to driving in heavy traffic, and Audi/VW's autotragics aren't the best.

As for Saabs, I love them. I've previously owned two 9-5s. Both were great and I feel as if I've got the hang of things that commonly go wrong on them (sludge on pre '03 models, motor mounts, ACC codes, etc). I'm looking more into the 9-3 wagon because of it's size and slightly better gas milage.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I owned a volvo-- great car. I test drove a Saab before buying my passat and I was shocked at how cheap the interior was for the price.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
I owned a volvo-- great car. I test drove a Saab before buying my passat and I was shocked at how cheap the interior was for the price.

Very true re: the Saab's interior. I like to call it minimalist, though

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VOLVO ALL THE WAY.

It was designed so well, drives great, will last forever, and the big selling point for me is how comfortable the seats are....after many years.

I have a 2003 V70 turbo (low compression), and I will drive it till it blows up or falls apart.

I spend so little on it as far as maintenence goes. Pretty much oil changes. No major problems.

If we were talking sedans, I might have a different answer, but when you talk wagons, Volvo has it hands down.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have to pick the Volvo. I can't stand the way Saab design its interiors.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably go for the T5 in the Volvo if I go for the V50. I've heard the 2.4i is so slow, it can't even get out of it's own way.

Problem is, the V50 seems to be more scarce than the 9-3 Sportcombi. I'd like to at least test drive one so I know what it drives like before I go on eBay. There is an '08 T5 at a nearby Volvo dealer, but I'm not sure how big a difference there is between the '08 and the '05. It can't be that much though, right?

Either way, sounds like the V50 is the way to go. Any clue on Volvo's warranty? I know Saab's was cut to 4 years/50k by GM.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I'd probably go for the T5 in the Volvo if I go for the V50. I've heard the 2.4i is so slow, it can't even get out of it's own way.

Problem is, the V50 seems to be more scarce than the 9-3 Sportcombi. I'd like to at least test drive one so I know what it drives like before I go on eBay. There is an '08 T5 at a nearby Volvo dealer, but I'm not sure how big a difference there is between the '08 and the '05. It can't be that much though, right?

Either way, sounds like the V50 is the way to go. Any clue on Volvo's warranty? I know Saab's was cut to 4 years/50k by GM.

Volvo warranty is great.

The pickup on the T5 is also noice. The difference between years is usually very little, unless the body style has changed.

Also, isnt SAAB being phased out or something sad like that?

I have owned both SAAB and Volvo btw.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T5 used to be the wagon to own (the famous R-series, especially so). If I recall correctly, the older version had around 240hp, and then it got souped up due to further turbo-compression. Repair issues, if buying used, would be a major consideration. So here's the word of advice: buy certified-preowned from a dealer (includes 100k warranty)..it'll cost you more, but definitely worth the expense, if something goes wrong (and it will). The only place you'd have a chance to test-drive both is probably in the Chicago area (not sure about the Twin Cities)

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
So I'll be starting school back up again after a a few years off and am looking for a reliable car to get me back and forth. I've always been into European cars, but Saabs have been my latest thing. The newer Volvo models also spark my interest. My question is which would you go with, either an '05 or '06 Volvo V50 wagon or a Saab 9-3 Sportcombi? They will both be base models (2.4i for the Volvo, 2.0t for the Saab). My price range is about $13k and I've been looking at a few on eBay and at out-of-state dealers, as both models are not the easiest to find.

00.jpg

55c3_4.JPG

Isn't 13 k just about what you claim your income to be?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I beg you to stay away from any SAAB. It is possibly the least reliable car that is made outside of US.
I had a misfortune of owning 2.3 Turbo and aside from the Stereo and turbo I hated everything on that car and that "everything" broke at least once.
What would you expect from the company that cannot make their SAAB hood medallion last longer than 5 years... Saab cars are disgrace.

Stay the heck away form used Audi as well.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I beg you to stay away from any SAAB. It is possibly the least reliable car that is made outside of US.
I had a misfortune of owning 2.3 Turbo and aside from the Stereo and turbo I hated everything on that car and that "everything" broke at least once.
What would you expect from the company that cannot make their SAAB hood medallion last longer than 5 years... Saab cars are disgrace.

Stay the heck away form used Audi as well.

+1
Isn't Saab under creditor protection as well? Stick with the Volvo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads