1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

❄ 2012 'SAVE FOR CHRISTMAS' CLUB (NPC NOV-DEC Special Edition) ❄

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MyOtherLife, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Did he have to pay money to put the clothes on hold? If so, definite violation. If not, he didn't do anything but promise to buy things. I wouldn't say that violates the spirit of NPC.

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

If monies were paid to place the goods on hold, then it is a breech of the rules.
    If no monies were paid, then no outright spending occured and therefore no breech of our rules would have transpired.
    Window shopping on or offline is allowed to ones hearts content. Placing something on hold with intent to purchase is bordering on sin of intent.
    Are the 'no money down- on hold' items a need or a desire? If the former, then I would rule acceptable and good for you to find the opportunity. If the latter, then you are not helping yourself.

The intentions for the NPC are very simple; to help the participant develop a self-discipline where clothing is regularily purchased to beyond ones needs or financial means. If a person tries to find every way they can to cheat the challenge, ultimately they are only cheating themselves. Therefore it would be prudent to use the NPC thread as a form of therapy to gain strength from others who suffer the same affliction. Those who have fallen are always encouraged to stay with the challenge to the end of the time period and grade themselves accordingly afterwards. We are not an anti-spending group. We are a group of soles hopefully, who acknowledges that a problem of self weakness exists and wish to overcome it. The development and practice of self control will lead to less impulse spending and better made decisions in purchasing which, in turn will lead to more satisfaction in ones wardrobe.

Reporting in for my own challenge....I am still spend-free. My birthday falls within this challenge period and I have already requested to my loved ones to please not purchase anything for me at all; no gift certificates or coupons; not even a birthday card, preferring in lieu of any of the afore-mentioned, a phonecall, hug or kind word would be most welcomed. Personally, I am going beyond the challenge period to the end of the year but this is my own decision. Wishing everyone continued strength in the last days of the challenge. :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  3. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

admittedly, they were desire items...or the suits were, the pants were more need. No money changed hands as of yet! it was a bit naughty, but hard to pass up the opportunity given the chance! and i lasted all of November, even past black friday!

4. letmefly

letmefly Senior member

I would have been out if not for this thread - so close now...

5. MyOtherLife

As long as you make to the end of the challenge, you did fine. At that point you will be free to spend to your hearts content, if you feel the need.
    We are alllllmost there.....

6. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

7. Claghorn

A few more days. Though I may try to go until Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. MyOtherLife

Alright, everyone ring in one last time.....Did you make it? Confessions?
    I want to put all this together in some form of scorecard. Thanks everyone....

I made it through and for additional fun will continue to the end of the year.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  9. Claghorn

In the first couple of days November I bought some Park Aves; I then donated well over their value in clothing. I later purchased shoe cream and and a brush. The brush was given away but I failed to give away the cream.

Other things have also been donated putting my solidly in the negative.

Going to try to go to new years. (but probably won't as I'm in the process of some B&S negotiations)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  10. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Bought my first Hickey freeman suit today. I bought a bow tie on thursday for a date i had on friday...:-( aside from that i made it the whole time. I also donated several times the value of the bowtie the day before.

all in all i call it a success...rather than buying lower quality or impulse buys, i bought a much nicer piece than i previously had.

11. Claghorn

Out. nwot brown cotton Zegna tie. NOBD's recent waywrn post reminded me that I lacked a non-silk solid brown tie.

12. Jhors2

Jhors2 Senior member

This is the trick for me, while all of my purchases have been decent. They are somewhat impulsive, I've gotten to the point that I need to be really picky on what goes in to not overlap though.

13. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Aside from the shoe polish kerfuffle - no cheating

14. Claghorn

Yeah, but that was a sweet kerfuffle.

15. AHS

AHS Senior member

MoL,

January?

AHS