1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

◕ ‿ ◕ May NPC - Temporary Management; New Rules

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Da GOAT

Da GOAT Well-Known Member

In, gonna be tough though as suitsupply is haunting me.

2. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I will stay strong this month. Last night I was tempted to buy a watch - thank god I didn't and sold out this morning. It was a triwa with nato strap. With shipping $85 from gilt. Also tempting over a carusu navy blazer. Even when I have 4 navy blazers. And a lbm 1911 grey herringbone blazer. I already have 2 in same colour.
    I am an addict and been over spending ever since I found sf. I hope this month I can come out clean.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Waterloo: Prepay is absolutely a smart way to handle NPC. This is what I did for last month.

DA Goat: Spend this month meditating on why you need a suit from Suit Supply. Post about your reasons and let us discuss it. If, at the end of the month, you feel it is a good investment, buy it guilt free.

md2010: Out of curiosity, how many of those were impulse buys?

4. md2010

md2010 Senior member

First Navy blazer – its was my first Blazer year and half ago.
    Second Navy blazer – I thought I may take it easy on the first jacket !
    Third Navy – I wanted a Navy with Gold button – 3 button(Rugby Rl Italy – on sale)
    Forth navy – Last week. Its PRL Navy 2 gold button made in Italy in grail size 36R- Bradford cut(slim) at a sale price of $499 form PRL store. How can I pass it ?
    Would you call them impulse buy ?
    My impulse buy was 3 sky blue blazers…..
    My problem if I see a big sale / clearance on quality items I feel obliged to purchase them.
    I want to stop all purchase and start building my bank balance . I hope we can all do this via this thread.

5. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

^ best advice I've ever received on this forum is that you should NEVER buy something just because the price seems to good to pass up. There will be other sales, most good deals are not once in a lifetime opportunites. That's a sure fire way to fill your closet with things you end up never wearing. If you bought four navy blazers in the past year and a half (!) I can almost guarantee some of them will be sold off or will end up sitting in the back of your closet. For the most part, you should only buy something new if it fills a gap in your wardrobe and you're confident it will get significant wear.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Claghorn

^

I'd agree with the above. As far as the "it's on sale attitude": on a per item basis, you'll occasionally get excellent deals (a great price for a quality item which will see a lot of wear), but in between those items there are a lot of duds. On the balance, you probably come out behind rather than ahead.

The exception I'd make would be once in a lifetime items rather than once in a lifetime prices.

7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

^^True. This month I will try my absolute best not to buy anything and if I succeed I will continue this…
    30 more days to go ……

8. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I took advantage of the grace period today and dropped off four pairs of pants and a jacket for alterations. Everything is paid for and will be ready on May 15—should be a nice mid-month boost to pick those up.

I also dropped off a jacket for dry cleaning. Tomorrow I'll drop off a pair of shoes for repair, and that will be it for May.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I'll start this off. I've been wanting a pair of Rancourt Ranger Mocs for a while now.

[​IMG]

I wear my current, two-year-old pair of mocs (Mark McNairy for Bass) often, but they're pretty beat up, and the quality is not great. I know I'd get a lot of use out of these, especially since I'm returning to school soon after a few years away and will be dressing more casually.

Second temptation: Nike Air Vortex.

[​IMG]

Again, trying to build up the casual shoe rotation before school. I actually bought these today on impulse but am going to return them and sit on the decision for a month. I've been wanting a pair of vintage-style Nikes, but there may be a better model out there. If I still want these in a month, I may re-purchase them.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  10. Claghorn

If possible, post pictures of the pair they'll be replacing [​IMG]

Smart move on the return. Not enough people take advantage of return policies in general. Endowment effect.

Everyone else, 12 more hours to sign up on time and get access to the $100 dollar emergency fund.

11. zzzzap

zzzzap Senior member

I hope it's not too late to join in.

12. Claghorn

Nope. Well, it's now May 3rd my time, but I'm sure it's still May 2nd where you are, so welcome aboard.

Even were it not, you could still join; you just wouldn't have access to the $100 emergency budget.

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I may not be logged in each day through this month but rest assured I will be rock firm. I have no intention whatsoever to spend a dime on anything. I appreciate Clag taking on the burden of helping out . This thread gets my full support.
    One suggestion I can make, just for fun, is to buy a dollar store piggy bank. If you see something you want to buy during the month, save a photo of it to your hard drive and drool at that, Then take that amount and put it in the piggy. End of the month comes, and you may be suprised how much is in there. It may seem a tad childish, but it gives you an actual, 'in your hands' pile of money which represents what you saved by staying strong. Good luck to everyone this month. It is a wonderful way to save for summer.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  14. md2010

md2010 Senior member

This great. I think I may actually do this !

15. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I am tempting over a PRL Light grey silk cable knit half zip jumper. From $200 down to $140 - 25% off. Shipping is $39. Then there is this slim fit PRL Blue and white BD gingham shirt from $100 down to $75 - 25% off. Total bill $200. Which is not so bad !!
    How can I get this out of my head ??

16. Da GOAT

Da GOAT Well-Known Member

Self inflicted junk punch will stave off the impulse temporarily :)

17. Claghorn

Those are clearly things you don't need. Sales happen all the time. And now that you've enrolled in NPC, well, that's not a 200 dollar bill. That's a 400 dollar bill. 200 for clothes, 200 for charity.

This isn't just your wallet on the line. It's your soul on the line.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  18. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I resisted the temptation to buy some Sam Hober pocket squares before the grace period ended yesterday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like them, but I don't need them—especially since I'm wearing a suit/jacket far less often these days. Perhaps if I make it through the month, I'll treat myself to one.

In full lockdown mode now.

19. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Well, if it helps, The sneakers are ugly. For me, there are way too many nice actual shoes out there to waste time wearing sneakers.

20. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Noted :) I thought the same about sneakers for a long time but have changed my mind recently. Also, now that I'm headed back to college, I don't want to be the dude wearing loafers and wing tips on campus all the time. But yeah, I don't think this particular pair is great.