1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

◕ ‿ ◕ 2013 APRIL No Purchase Club

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MyOtherLife, Mar 23, 2013.

1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

A watch to work out in. Every time I think I have seen it all, there is more. Please tell me why you need a watch to work out in. How does this constitute an emergency. I have left you a small loophole so lets see if you can find it. You get one shot to come up with the correct answer.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. Mr Martini

Mr Martini Senior member

Well for one it would be pretty ridiculous for me to run around in a fancy watch that cant time laps. and its an emergency because if i dont run i could die from a heart attack someday from being out of shape...... [​IMG]

3. MyOtherLife

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is easy to borrow a watch. Orwell says: not an emergency.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr Martini

Mr Martini Senior member

No spending on any clothing-related item

watches are portable time pieces as per merriam-webster and if anything would be considered jewelry which is not outlawed in the original post.

and for my final piece of evidence........
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110603091819AAkA9Zx

If it doesnt fit, you must acquit.
    [​IMG]

6. Claghorn

Your final piece of evidence suggests that watches are accessories and accessories are not articles of clothing.

To exclude accessories from NPC sets a dangerous precedent; ties and pocketsquares will become available to those participating, as well as shoes (which, accepting your evidence, would be allowed).

You wear it? It falls under the auspices of NPC.

I think a compromise could be reached.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/ACCUSPLIT-Sur...UTF8&qid=1365660417&sr=8-3&keywords=stopwatch

1 person likes this.
  7. MyOtherLife

Well Claghorn put it more gracefully than I would have, and his suggestion is far more generous than I would have given.
    [​IMG]
    Technically, that stopwatch is 'worn' with sportswear and is also an accessory of sorts, but he is right; it is a resonable solution and won't reflect on you negatively. You may buy one of these. Price is right too.

albion125 bless your heart.
    Welcome to Stryleforum. In on what? How may we help you?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

10. Hacking jacket

Hacking jacket Senior member

I'm still in. I think it's a great personal discipline, although I can't wait to get a pair of shoes repaired.

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Laundry penalty paid. SWMBO's items washed, dried, folded and stowed.

Meanwhile, as an inveterate thrifter, I was in a local Goodwill yesterday (20% off for seniors) looking for an item for SWMBO in a requested color for business purposes, which I found, along with a pair of Polo Country mocs in her size which wil be addressed in a different thread.

While there, I came across two marvelously well fitting and very comfortable new 3 button polo shirts that would have filled a couple of spots in my wardrobe as I continue to drop screened tees from the lineup in favor of polo shirts for casual, work around the house wear, cutting the grass, etc. The combined price for both of these HIGHLY DESIRABLE items was slightly less than eight dollars.

I am here to report that all eight of them still reside in my wallet. I wonder if those shirts will still be there on May 1st?

12. Mr Martini

Mr Martini Senior member

My final piece of evidence was meant to only prove that it was not a clothing item. It could be classified in many different categories but still not a clothing item. As for accessories i find it to be a whole different animal than pocket squares, ties, or shoes. It is a tool. Would you call a heart rate monitor an accessory? you wear it. How about glasses?

13. Claghorn

Ah, but both of those would constitute emergencies or necessities, whereas being able to time yourself to the second does not. So the emergency fund is out.

It may be less of an accessory than pocket squares or ties, but certainly more than shoes or glasses (both which are needed or close to).

Regardless, the point is moot as the judge has ruled.

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Serge...Corporal/Private Orwell may not have taken ones step for'd but Private Einstein has just taken one step back so it looks like he's got ya covered for May's NPC! Enjoy your leave.

1 person likes this.
  15. MyOtherLife

Monday April 15, 2013

We are now half-way through me boy-o's. I have spent nothing so far.
    I have been lotioning, brushing & buffing all shoe ordnance here and packing away winter gear. Springwear is now in position. I have also been doing all of my missus' handbags and footwear but she's pissed at me now. Among her handbags, I lotioned ner new Givenchy Pandora bag and the lotion left a white film after it dried. She was in tears. I told her to leave it with me and it will be remedied. I took a clean damp rag to it and the white film disappeared....only I haven't told her the bag is fine yet because I am having too much fun watching her sweat.

How are the rest of you holding up? Let's have some updates...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  16. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I must come clean.

• I bought a sweater the morning of April 1. The price was absurdly low, and so unfortunately was my resolve. I considered returning it but can't let it go.
    • I bought a cheap pair of shoe laces to replace the badly frayed laces on my moccasins.
    • I purchased a Brooks Brothers blazer and a six-fold Borrelli tie from a thrift store, for a total of $16. I plan to re-sell the tie, but the blazer is for me. No more thrift stores this month.
    • I returned a pair of running shoes purchased in March and exchanged them for another pair. I don't think this counts as a violation but am disclosing it in case. The new pair was cheaper than the original.
    • I purchased a shirt as a gift for someone.

There you go. Failed pretty hard so far, but I want to recommit for the last half of the month.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  17. Claghorn

Still good. Purchased a tie as a wedding gift (oddly enough, this is the guy who didn't want the tie back in November...he now understands the beauty of a good tie and was quite enthusiastic when I told him another Hober was to be his wedding gift).

Can May's NPC start on May 2? I have some stuff that requires alterations.

18. MyOtherLife

I'll admit I am a little torn with this decision.
    I can't let my love of Chet Bakers awesome music or your birthday (Happy Birthday by the way) get in the way of reason.
    I admire the level of honesty in your confession. It was detailed and showed some form remorse, of self-restraint and some mindfulness of need over desire.
    The running shoes had nothing to do with this challenge but you reported it anyway. That was beyond expectations.
    There has to be a small punishment, and since it was your birthday, I'll choose this one....

1) You will not enjoy that sweater or the Brooks Brothers jacket until the month is over.
    2) You will keep your word to get rid of the Borrelli tie. Sell it or give it away, I don't care.
    3) Donate $100 worth of useable stuff to a recipient of your choosing, be it to a thrift store or to anyone you want

Stay strong for the next two weeks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  19. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

^ Thanks, Man of Lint. I'll get on these.

20. MyOtherLife

That was very thoughtful of you to buy the tie.
    I won't be running the NPC in May, so unless someone steps up to run it, you're home free. :)