◆ The JIL SANDER & RAF SIMONS shopper thread ◆

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by _yoo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

EDIT: didn't see you had already posted that you were going to buy it. If you're not absolutely in love with it, waiting a couple weeks may well yield a 10% code as they pop up fairly often -- and expensive items don't tend to sell out that quickly at full [yoox] price anyway.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

I figure out the full [yoox] price for most good(rare, runway, popular) items are not cheap. Usually about 60-70% of the original price, and often don't have full sizes.

3. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

the items in the picture are from S/S 2010, they were on yoox already this summer

4. hapsical

hapsical Member

Raf by Raf never had dates on the labels.

5. hapsical

hapsical Member

The metallic jeans were FW07 Raf by Raf, Seven New York had them in about 5 different colour ways at the time. They pop up on Yoox / eBay / Yahoo Auctions Japan from time to time, but they were not repeated for later seasons. If I remember correctly, there was an issue with the metallic coating rubbing off.

6. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

I'm looking for this "mute witness" , Raf x Peter de Potter t-shirt from F/W 2010
    if someones sees it somewhere coincidentally, please post here
    [​IMG]

7. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

^ it popped up a few days ago in my dream box together with this, but was immediately sold out

-- Another recent WWD interview of Raf on modernism, reproduced here (in blatant, though hopefully harmless, disregard of copyright laws):

Q&A: Raf Simons

By Miles Socha
    November 14, 2011

[​IMG]

The Belgian Raf Simons reimagined ideas from the Fifties into hyper-chic fashions for today. Simons muses on the allure of the midcentury period and its pitch-perfect play with form and function.

WWD: Which period in history defined modernism the best, and why?
    Simons: The industrialization and the Fifties’ economic boom largely affected the aesthetic of the times and pushed design to explore directions unknown until that moment. After the war, new needs were to be fulfilled, and there was extraordinary optimism for the future. The positivity was somehow the driving force for the pioneers of modernist design. During these years, designers created things that were completely new, and what I very much like about modernism is that it does not relate to history or the past.

Midcentury modern furniture remains extremely popular. Why?
    Midcentury furniture is the epitome of modernity: the use of color, the combination of elements, the craftsmanship, yet the appeal of industrialization. Midcentury design shows no aesthetic engagement with the past, only the precise intention to define form and function, which makes this movement relevant for any period of time.

What about fashion? Was there a fashion era or designer that defined modernism best, or is that a moving target?
    The language of Fifties couture was particularly interesting. There was a new approach to the use of shape, volume and color, and a redefinition of fashion by thinking forward. In architecture, there was a modernist movement. Le Corbusier, for example. In fashion, Balenciaga. In art, Picasso. It was not only the creative people but also the idea of optimism, of people thinking about the future—the fact they were attracted by being inspired by what is yet to come, and not knowing what it is going to be.

Fashion has a tendency to refer to past decades and epochs, but you always push modernity. How come?
    The newness of fashion is what makes it interesting. Likewise, midcentury design showed there’s no actual need to tribute the past. It’s rather a matter of moving things ahead. I always think forward, to the next collection, to what is new.

Which object or cultural artifact best exemplifies modernism, and why?
    Midcentury ceramics embody the essence of modernism—the oeuvres of Pol Chambost, Picasso Madoura, George Jouve, Jacques and Dani Ruelland from these times exemplify the dedication to form and color.

What makes a garment modern?
    I think it’s a combination of elements. Modernity is a very delicate equation of form and function. Fabric, color and material are always deeply connected, so I believe it’s their combination that sets the modern tone of the garment.

slideshow:
    Imaginary Portrait No. 1, by Pablo Picasso.

[​IMG]

Balenciaga suit, matching hat and white gloves, circa 1952.

[​IMG]

Picasso Madoura Plein Feu plate

[​IMG]

Jil Sander RTW Spring 2012

[​IMG]

Jil Sander RTW Spring 2012

[​IMG]

Steel-frame chair by Le Corbusier.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  8. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

hey cool hapsical is posting here. i like your blog hapsical!

anyway does anyone have a good source for raf simons x eastpak bags at a good discount? i think some of the messenger bags would be cool to have, but i don't want to really pay the inflated retail prices.

ps: I also almost bought the beach towel from yoox like 2 years ago

10. Desi

Desi Senior member

[​IMG]

I like snakes, they remind me of Solid Snake. I need snake belt from S/S2010! Still pissed when it sold out on Browns.

11. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

[​IMG]

Just purchased these, hope they fit

[​IMG]

Favorite raf piece that I own, spring/summer 02-03 (I think, haven't worn it in a while)

[​IMG]

A/W 00-01

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  12. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

those knits are like 10 years old! how are they holding up?

13. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

first one is in great condition, practically new

second is pretty worn.

-----------------------------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jil Sander - F/W07

-----------------------------

[​IMG]

The one that got away. :censored::(

14. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

anyone know anything about these raf pants? looks like there's something interesting happening on the sides/hem but I can't tell from the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  15. Keoke

Keoke Senior member

check out this auction
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raf-Simons-...oiresHommes&hash=item23182cc3fe#ht_634wt_1398