• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

◆ The JIL SANDER & RAF SIMONS shopper thread ◆

artmovement

Reaction score

_yoo

Reaction score

I believe the corner's derbies are metal chains. Seven's and eliminators carry the silver version of the chained derbies. And all these variations have the chain inserted flat along the sole.
I have yet to see the full sideway versions of these derbies in stock, which are much more obvious and probably less wearable. I wonder if they are even going to be under production.
Would love to get my hands on these,

but I might have to settle with more subtle variations :bored:

Thanks for pointing that out - does look like the main difference is vertical vs. horizontal.

For those who're interested, found these pages on JIL in an old copy of Contemporary Fashion .... I still need to scan raf redux at some point!

AyPKd.png

vhJMn.png

gSJgh.png

Last edited:

_yoo

Reaction score
Last edited:

adrianclement

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out - does look like the main difference is vertical vs. horizontal.
For those who're interested, found these pages on JIL in an old copy of Contemporary Fashion .... I still need to scan raf redux at some point!
AyPKd.png

vhJMn.png

gSJgh.png

Thanks for this. It was interesting to read! Been dying to read a book/biography on Jil and Raf lately. Anything out there except for Redux?

tangential

Reaction score
Any online retailers carrying the regular "plain" Raf derbies?

artmovement

Reaction score
AyPKd.png

vhJMn.png

gSJgh.png
Although I like Jil Sander's design, I'm so glad Raf Simons took over the creative director helm. To me, It's better than she was still designing the brand.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's all quote the biggest images ever on the same page they were posted

jwoowoo

Reaction score
Raf is back on Gilt today. Finally got my black plain toe oxfords in sz 40 for cheap!! They have the Raf fair isle a lot of people are in to and other good stuff. There is more than last time's Raf Gilt sale.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Raf is back on Gilt today. Finally got my black plain toe oxfords in sz 40 for cheap!! They have the Raf fair isle a lot of people are in to and other good stuff. There is more than last time's Raf Gilt sale.

Price is good. Gilt retail price is much lower.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i also bought the black raf derbies in size 41. 42's were a bit too big for me (i've been realizing im a true 41 not 42). if someone wants a pair of 42s for cheap lemme know!

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

i also bought the black raf derbies in size 41. 42's were a bit too big for me (i've been realizing im a true 41 not 42). if someone wants a pair of 42s for cheap lemme know!

how's the quality and construction?

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are superb.

imo, the quality is very slightly below john lobb and much much better than lanvin derbies that i've tried.

i remember moo saying that raf derbies were comparable to edward greens or something like that.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

they are superb.
imo, the quality is very slightly below john lobb and much much better than lanvin derbies that i've tried.
i remember moo saying that raf derbies were comparable to edward greens or something like that.

really? :wow: Much surprised. Do you know who makes them?

I think Lanvin sneakers quality is decent, on par with YSL but much better than MMM GAT. This made me want to avoid all MMM shoes.
The GAT looks same quality like nikes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads