• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

◄[MALE GAZE: ᴛʜᴇ sᴀʀᴛᴏʀɪᴀʟ ɪs ᴘᴏʟɪᴛɪᴄᴀʟ]►

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the purpose of this thread:

I think you're misunderstanding the aim of this thread.
The way I see it, there is a certain archetype of Female Model and Female Style. More than just an idealized representation of "woman," this sublime object serves as a regulatory and hierarchical mechanism; beneath the weight of this regulating gaze, most women (and men, too) respond by attempting to negotiate their cultural, ideological, physical (affected) assets with the idealized figure so that they may be folded into the order of Affirmed Style—which is to say that they are conditioned to desire a dominant, differentiating, discriminatory sartorial cover-up.

This thread is a space for what might be described as "queer" fashion; it rejects the mainstream, authoritative J. Crew trend that demands—among a myriad culture-appropriative as well as body- and race-specific prescriptions—traditional patterns, shapes, and affectations. What this thread offers is a space for the **** that is, according to the regulatory mainstream standards, weird and threatening (to its order). So when you say that this thread is, in a sense, exclusive, you're right—this thread is constituted by the need to recognize those forms of women's style that are so often erased by **** like "oh look at those legs," "would smash," and other articulations of (typically) male desire.

A couple of questions:
1. Have you ever heard girls say "Channing Tatum has such good style"?
2. Have you ever looked at a Jcrew lookbook and wondered "what is the point of all this?"?
I.e. (1) people have been confusing sexy chick with good styling. This is sexist because it promotes the fact that dressing is something that can only be measured by men's sexual gaze. There's also the fact that dressing "sexy" as defined by today's standards is incredibly limited by outdated norms and theories. We've all heard the MC logic that a suit emphasises the male physique by building up the shoulders and narrowing the waist; I don't care. There are more ways of being sexy than that. Movement, hints of body shape, imagination etc etc. We are also intellectual creatures. The mind is more sexy than most of the pretensions of clothes - we see past shoulder pads, ridiculous pushup bras and fake ****. It doesn't turn us on.
i.e. (2) While there's nothing wrong with dressing as the girl next door or whatever, how many pictures of this do we need to see? It's also interesting to think why the "girl next door" look is so attractive in the first place.
This is coming from someone with no education in feminism, literature or any arts at all.

Last edited:

spacepope

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Requesting Kapital lookbook girls. This is really good thank you.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reposting some from the old thread, a lot of good content buried between spats and "I'd smash" comments.

mjshownq6.jpg

2159BOOTVFTrnchWeb.jpg

1209CoatBck2Web.jpg

13yf5h3.jpg

11810alessc3007web.jpg

L.jpg

%C3%A0%C3%A0%C3%A7%C3%A7u%C3%A0%C3%A7u%C3%A7%C3%A0.jpg

robeacne.jpg

4390798080_134d2a2990_b.jpg

2z885qx.jpg

seberg.jpg

9308PrincessTeeWeb1.jpg

152487.jpg

4931058858_09a92dbea7_b.jpg

img4623633x949.jpg

58322521557466.jpg

5745-stella-mccartney-by-hanneli-mustaparta-712x521.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads