• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

◄[MALE GAZE: ᴛʜᴇ sᴀʀᴛᴏʀɪᴀʟ ɪs ᴘᴏʟɪᴛɪᴄᴀʟ]►

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
tumblr_m8xe5rNf9F1qgjvz2o1_1280.jpg

MS007

Reaction score
[QUOTE name ="jet"]
"shut the **** up already"[/QUOTE]

<- This guy always so butthurt? Better just skip the text and look at pictures.

Crosspost from you know where:

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/468235/width/350/height/700[/IMG ]

[IMG]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/468232/width/350/height/700

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
ok guy with james bond in his avatar recreating a quote from a thumbs comment, you're the one who sounds butthurt

can we get a thread cleanse after that last post?

Last edited:

Simion505

Reaction score

KJ, I'm glad you can copy and paste George Orwell's thoughts in order to articulate your so-well-founded dislike of discursive writing. It's really impressive how capably you're able to criticize, with substance, the language that is so obviously, so needlessly, "heightened."
Edit: whoa, 500 posts. Cool.
One last thought: it's incredibly ironic that, in a thread about what might be slotted as "alternative" style, people are taking issue with a certain style of writing. And they point to "a lack of substance" as a cover for what is basically an aversion to (a particular) style (of writing). Call it a crutch, call it foggy, call it what you will—that doesn't make it so, and such "criticism" fails to speak, with even the slightest of intelligence, to any specific concern. What I've written about has a clear, concrete aim; this is undeniable. And was my writing understandable? Clearly so. Was it wordy? Yes. Is it pleasing to write like that? For me, yes; but clearly not for everyone. Is it pleasing to read? Again, not for everyone. Until someone simply says "I don't understand this," then I fail to see any glaring issue. (Failure to understand hardly strikes me as a terribly big concern; nothing I've ever written here could be considered incomprehensible.) So what, it could have been written with less words? So the **** what? If you don't want to bother reading something, then don't read it. Simply pointing to writing that uses ostensibly big words, or lots of semicolons (if you think you've seen a lot of semicolons—and, moreover, if you think you've seen a lot of m-dashes—then go read some Melville), and then calling it "overwrought," or "lacking substance" is like listening to the idiots who complain about e.g. Yohji, Damir, Rick, Raf, Kiryuyrik, Comme, Geller (to a lesser extent), and etc. being "too affected," or "overly stylistic." I don't mean to invite a comparison of the *quality* between writing style and the aforementioned designers and the way their aesthetic manifests in consumers' style; but the moment you extend your distaste to "academic" (what a false—and essentialist—categorical disavowal) writing, you forget the very fact that "style" means more than just how you put some ******* cotton/wool/whateverthefuck on your Aryan skin.

Dude, your writing style (apart from being laden with commas) is just totally innappropriate for the context you're writing in. You want to demonstrate intelligence, great. Stop treating every informal discussion on this forum with the levity of an academic essay.

I genuinely thought you were trolling in the WAYWT thread.

Last edited:

MS007

Reaction score
Can the discussion about writing style and the forum clown with his "no, u" comments already leave the thread to relevant discussion and content? Nobody has a problem to understand what thewho tries to bring across and it should really be about his dated opinions rather than the question whether he is talented at expressing them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
What rock did this cockroach crawl out underneath from? Never seen this lop post in sw before is he solely a DT inhabitant or some ****?

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don´t get the complaints re thewho´s writing style. I´m not an native speaker and have no problem with it.

It's part of the new American Joe Six-Pack effect. Anyone who uses big words is trying to show that they're better than you. We all need to just be friendly neighbors, no room for the nerds jews "academic illuminati."

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PS I have it on good authority than thewho is a communist.

PPS really excellent post, Guy Burgess - either post more or share where that's from!

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone hasn't been following my editorials thread.

FOR SHAME

MS007

Reaction score
Join Date 06: You guys keep him around for amusement? I find the constant whining rather distracting, if someone knows how to get butthurt off ******* (and this thread), please pm.

__________________________________________________________Hats done right_________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's part of the new American Joe Six-Pack effect. Anyone who uses big words is trying to show that they're better than you. We all need to just be friendly neighbors, no room for the nerds jews "academic illuminati."

I don't think this is that though. Maybe a case of young self-styled intellectuals trying to prove their self-worth by arguing about dumb **** that doesn't matter (myself included).

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't think this is that though. Maybe a case of young self-styled intellectuals trying to prove their self-worth by arguing about dumb **** that doesn't matter (myself included).

This is my take on it. It's not that I need or want everything dumbed down, but I think this is a subject that can be discussed without having to create (or CURATE, amirite) posts that read like they should come with a works cited page attached.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads