1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

◄[MALE GAZE: ᴛʜᴇ sᴀʀᴛᴏʀɪᴀʟ ɪs ᴘᴏʟɪᴛɪᴄᴀʟ]►

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by A Fellow Linguist, Aug 13, 2012.

1. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

There is also the legitimate concern that, by focusing on these (less visible) styles, we risk simply shifting that gaze from the "girl next door" to what is essentially high-end obscurantist fashion. It's a concern that warrants constant checking.

2. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

To be honest I don't really care to seperate the threads. People need to be exposed to good stuff.

1 person likes this.
  3. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

does it really though? plenty of black tights + heels ITT.

I'm stepping short of saying that's a bad thing, just want to make the point that there's rarely any fit, male or female, that doesn't have a bit of gaze about it.

As long as it's got some other interesting features I'm happy.

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

[​IMG]

This is absolutely fantastic.

Assuming that you cannot in fact escape any ideological double-binds, there's still value in presenting a space for what Who's describing as outre fashunz. That's not to say that the body is non-existent, because it's not and it likely can't be, and Hendrix is right on the money. This, simply, is not the thread for the shit your ex-girlfriend wears. End of story.

Can we sticky Hendrix's and Who13's posts, AFL?

5. the shah

the shah Senior member

i doubt this more with every passing day. embrace the incivility, Son of Simian

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  6. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

I'm a theatre major (or was), if I disliked writing in that mode I would have hung myself in an overly dramatic fashion long before now. Given who you were addressing, however, I do feel your post was rather prolix and could have benefited from less academic verbiage.

Now someone post some CdG or Miyake photos and get this back on topic.

1 person likes this.
  7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

8. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

My prolix could use some seriously academic verbiage, if you know what I'm talking about.

(I'm talking about oral sex)

2 people like this.
  9. sipang

sipang Senior member

What's great about FWK styling is the way it totally perverts the whole americana/workwear thing.

If this thread were about paintings, it wouldn't be the thread where you post about Thomas Kinkade (rip).

2 people like this.
  10. spacepope

spacepope Senior member

If I was a chick I'd probably wear nothing but FWK.

Even so I'm tempted to kop a wrap skirt.

But

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

12. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

I don´t see the point in coming here and criticizing the pictures posted. We´re just people that appreciate fashion and the many different forms it can´t take, and it´s not just about the clothes we wear (i.e menswear) but everything.
    Though not a contributor, partly for being lazy and also for not knowing where to look for pics to post, I enjoy coming here and looking at what others consider interesting in women´s fashion. If that happens to be girls in "unusual" outfits, so be it. The world is full of plain, ordinary looks to be seen, so why would I wanna more of that here?

13. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Added thewho and hendrix to the first post, thank you guys for articulating the reason for this thread existing. To be honest, while what you guys described was and is my hope, I didn't imagine we'd actually manage get there. I do find the J Crew etc. style boringly predictable at this point, but my problem is first and foremost with people's justifications for posting pics of it than the style itself. I would settle for a thread where we never have that argument about "well the name of the thread is 'how would YOU like a girl to dress'" again, even if that thread includes said j crew pics.

But then again, in my mind the j crew look is a kind of patriarchal bargain, and we can all do better than that.

14. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

trying to find pictures of women of color on fashion sites is difficult and depressing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

where 2 find girls like these in real life? (4)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  16. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

[​IMG]

this is the best thing ever

1 person likes this.
  17. MS007

MS007 Senior member

Given the title, I expected this thread to be a place in which people mainly have a discussion about, well, in which way the sartorial is political. Especially because this is supposed to be the backlash to the "What you d like a girl to wear" thread. Instead, it is exactly the same. The only difference is, that certain styles are not welcome, because they do not fit the queer/not mainstream taste of OP and his friends. This would be fine, if the thread title would be "queer/non mainstream stuff". It is just ironic that (some of) you try to justify this as being non-sexist in contrast to jcrew/mainstream, even though there is nothing more sexist then a group of guys who decide what is acceptable for a woman to wear -- doesn't matter what you come up with and for what reason. Right, the WYLAGTW thread was exactly this, but it did not try to to be something else and at least for a while was open to all sort of styles, until people were getting bashed because what they posted was not SFstream enough.

I agree with Hendrix. People want to see nice fits. If it is repetition nr 1000 of whatever style it becomes boring. Its just the double standards applied here (which some of you fail or do not want to see) that
    put me off.

:violin: I think even jet got it after reading it twice.

For your time:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

Tbh, very few girls dress like this irl, at least where I am from (Toronto, Canada).

For example, I would not be surprised if our women's winter uniform was a repeat of last year: Canada Goose jacket + TNA / Lulu pants + UGGs boots. Not that I'm complaining of course [​IMG]

19. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

None of us are saying that this is the kind of clothing we expect women to wear. This is a thread for sharing women's fashion, whereas the previous thread was turning into a DT wankfest.

3 people like this.
  20. jet

jet Senior member

Can you guys stop engaging this clown?

3 people like this.