• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~≈~≈~ Is the Gucci script enough to ruin these shoes? [NEW IMAGE] ~≈~≈~

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You keep referring to the two tone accidental spray-paint blue highlighting like its a PLUS.

Its not the "Gucci" logo that ruins the shoes, its the dated clunky design, horrible horrible horrible spray paint effect / blue highlighting, rubber soles, cheap leather.

Run away from these please

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you post another picture? I also assumed the "lightness" was just the flash.
If that's spray paint effect, this is awful.
How the hell did you not perceive that as a potential drawback??
Worrying about the logo is missing the forest for the trees, man.

PS: I just started laughing aloud at the old man picture.
He really looks great. I love dressing like a CEO.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to mention what seems to be corrected grain leather.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Its not the "Gucci" logo that ruins the shoes, its the dated clunky design,
img3332copy2.jpg
Can someone please explain why the Gucci's are clunky and dated, while the ones below are "current" loafers. Besides the foam looking soles, I don't see a big difference. In fact, I think: #1
_5197046.jpg
Above has sloppy Frankenstien ER ward stitching. #2
_6042462.jpg
Above has that cheap corrected grain leather. (it looks soft and supple, which means cheap at SF) #3
_6160964.jpg
Above has ugly "duck bill" square toe. Above has that cheap corrected grain leather. (it looks soft and supple, which means cheap at SF) #4
_6150926.jpg
Above has ugly "duck bill" square toe. #5
_5283023.jpg
Above has sloppy Frankenstien ER ward stitching.

savilerogue

Reaction score
They all look dated. But at least #1-#5 havent had blue spray paint liberally applied.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to look for the script ... but then I'm on the far side of 60.

You do know Gucci translates as "buy at your own risk."

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Or the Boston for a round toe

boston-black.jpg

Thanks jrd617 ... I like SpooBaby ... but can't see myself the loafers with the pointed toe. I'd go the Gucci route first.

Needless to say ... but I'll say it ... I prefer the shoes in your post ... the ones with the more rounded toe.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
_6042462.jpg
Above has that cheap corrected grain leather. (it looks soft and supple, which means cheap at SF)

What the hell? That looks nothing like corrected grain. Correct grain looks about as far from 'soft and supple' as you can get, it looks like plastic.

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Can you post another picture? I also assumed the "lightness" was just the flash.
If that's spray paint effect, this is awful.
How the hell did you not perceive that as a potential drawback??
Worrying about the logo is missing the forest for the trees, man.

PS: I just started laughing aloud at the old man picture.
He really looks great. I love dressing like a CEO.

I'm quite enamored with you now.
redface.gif

Made in California

Reaction score
You keep referring to the two tone accidental spray-paint blue highlighting like its a PLUS. Its not the "Gucci" logo that ruins the shoes, its the dated clunky design, horrible horrible horrible spray paint effect / blue highlighting, rubber soles, cheap leather. Run away from these please
Well yeah, it's not like I want a pair of plain black penny loafers. I have black dress shoes, I don't need any more black! I want something that has an edgy design. Is the refined grain that big of an issue? Could someone post alternatives for flashy [penny] loafers that they like more than these?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Could someone post alternatives for flashy [penny] loafers that they like more than these?

If flashy is what you want, then imo you can't beat some alligator loafers; if you can afford them...

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Well yeah, it's not like I want a pair of plain black penny loafers. I have black dress shoes, I don't need any more black! I want something that has an edgy design. Is the refined grain that big of an issue?

Could someone post alternatives for flashy [penny] loafers that they like more than these?

If that is what you like, then by all means, buy it, wear them, and enjoy them. But don't expect anybody here to agree with your decision.

I can't recommend flashy penny loafers to you, because to me, a penny loafer was not made to be "flashy". A shoe can be round toe without being "clunky". For example, see the C&J's that were previously posted. If you MUST have flashy, why not go with a Gucci horse-bit loafer with the red and green stripe to show off to everyone that you are wearing Gucci loafers.

And to answer your question, I, as well as most people here, find Corrected/refined grain a big issue because it looks downright cheap. You can't really maintain and polish it either, they are disposable shoes in my opinion. If this is fine to you, then so be it, but again you wont find any love here on SF.

Because I am bored right now, I will give you suggestions for a flashy loafer that you just might like. I think you'll find the consensus here to think that these are ugly. To me, nice shoes are classicly-styled, well-built, and with a sleek/modern last; not in-your-face logos, flashy highlighted colors, and branding.

Some shoes to consider for you:

0417827295586R_300x400.jpg

Gucci. MSRP $535

0417803114009R_CLIGHTBROWN_300x400.jpg

Gucci. MSRP $550

Are you starting to see the trend here? Other people on the street with little to no fashion sense might call you "the man" because of your flashy Gucci branded shoes, but is that really what you want?

Made in California

Reaction score
If that is what you like, then by all means, buy it, wear them, and enjoy them. But don't expect anybody here to agree with your decision. I can't recommend flashy penny loafers to you, because to me, a penny loafer was not made to be "flashy". A shoe can be round toe without being "clunky". For example, see the C&J's that were previously posted. If you MUST have flashy, why not go with a Gucci horse-bit loafer with the red and green stripe to show off to everyone that you are wearing Gucci loafers.
Hi cioni, thank you for the suggestions. ^ That's sort of why I thought they were cool: They took a shoe that was not meant to be trendy and added a unique coloration to it to make it current. I feel as though we may be talking past each other.. what I want is a loafer that is flashy but *without* the branding. However, I do like the shoes you posted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads