• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“The internet is completely over” – Prince

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously, Prince is insane. I'm not making any jokes or anything; he's insane.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His rationale is founded I guess, but his reasons for not liking the net aren't a reaosn for it to be "over"

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if he's rig

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dude, I'm not listening to him again. Not after he got me all into the Y2K hysteria. Fooled me once, Prince, not gonna fool me again!

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the internet doesn't exist. I hear about it all the time, but I can't find it anywhere.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that You Tube and other sites should block copyrighted material that wasn't posted with the owners permission. But I doubt many others agree with me or whatshisname.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I agree that You Tube and other sites should block copyrighted material that wasn't posted with the owners permission. But I doubt many others agree with me or whatshisname.
Well, the logic of Prince's argument there sort of falls flat because it ignores the realities of incentives of users. YouTube relies on its users to flag inappropriate material because it lacks the manpower to police/moderate every submission on its own. This is a reasonable argument, IMO, but regardless, let's accept for the moment that that's how YouTube's content policing system operates. Now, users will happily flag Appreciation as inappropriate when they see it. But most users don't understand and/or don't give a flying **** about copyrights and trademarks. So they don't flag the copyrighted material. Hence, it becomes more prevalent than Appreciation. To complicate the matter even further, some media companies have signed deals with YouTube and are willfully sharing their stuff on the site. This contributes to the idea in the minds of common YouTube viewers that copyrighted material on YouTube is "fair game" (whether true or not). So these users aren't going to take the time to distinguish between unlicensed and licensed copyrighted content on YouTube. They're not ******* IP lawyers, after all.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
They're not ******* IP lawyers, after all.

Well, not all of them, but the ones that are should be doing their part.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I miss the snap crackle & pop of vinyl

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're not ******* IP lawyers, after all.

In any other area, if I wrongfully use the copyrights of others, I am liable. I don't think the web should be any different. I realize my position runs counter to mainstream practices.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Well, not all of them, but the ones that are should be doing their part.
Agreed, but there aren't enough of them to stem the flow. I will be totally honest in that I only half-sympathize with Google and YouTube on this argument. On one hand, sure, it's impossible for them to police everything. Fine. On the other hand, they clearly set the lawless tone for the submission process back when the site started. So they've created their own monster.
In any other area, if I wrongfully use the copyrights of others, I am liable. I don't think the web should be any different. I realize my position runs counter to mainstream practices.
You're misunderstanding me here. I'm not condoning copyright violations. Rather, I'm explaining the essence of the safe harbor argument that YouTube is using under the aegis of the DMCA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital..._Copyright_Act Like I said, I'm only 50/50 on how I feel about internet safe harbor as an explanation for, and defense against, accusations of copyright violations by content aggregators. At the end of the day, YouTube is selling advertising against its content, and some of that content is violated copyrighted material. Safe harbor or no safe harbor, YouTube could be doing a much better job and has an ethical responsibility to do so.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, I'm not listening to him again.

Too bad. I think he put on the all time best Superbowl halftime show. He was smoking out there- singing, dancing and playing guitar, a la Hendrix, in the f*&k'n rain. What a showman!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Too bad. I think he put on the all time best Superbowl halftime show. He was smoking out there- singing, dancing and playing guitar, a la Hendrix, in the f*&k'n rain. What a showman!

It was a "1999" joke...
smile.gif

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is probably an allusion to the Internet Kill Switch for national security that some ppl in Congress want.

Perhaps they are going to vest control and power of the Internet Kill Switch in the artist formerly known as Prince.

prince.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads