• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“The days of $800 to $900 shoes are over"

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mickey Drexler:

"The world is not about overpriced designer [goods] anymore," Drexler said, adding, "The days of $800 to $900 shoes are over. We [J. Crew] have adjusted prices and are going after [luxury] businesses that have grown hugely."

bounce2.gif

http://www.wwd.com/business-news/ret...4?module=today

anonomouse

Reaction score
HA!

So I can buy some overpriced remarked gap shoes to go with my baggy clothes and pleated kakhis. Yeah right!

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Mickey Drexler:

"The world is not about overpriced designer [goods] anymore," Drexler said, adding, "The days of $800 to $900 shoes are over. We [J. Crew] have adjusted prices and are going after [luxury] businesses that have grown hugely."

bounce2.gif

http://www.wwd.com/business-news/ret...4?module=today

It's true. They're all 1100 now.
inlove.gif

lizmasc

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is even going to make a difference, someone who'll pay that on a regular or less than regular basis for shoes doesn't have much of a problem with the recession, so, life goes on
inlove.gif
smiley2.gif

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
I think he has a valid point. He isnt saying $1,000 shoes will dissapear but that market for high end shoes which had grown in the last few years will slow down.
Many consumers of $800 shoes will step down to $200 shoes for a while and that is where he believes J Crew will try to position themselves.
We will see a lot of boutique shoe and clothes makers close shop in the next year as their market dries up.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie
I think he has a valid point. He isnt saying $1,000 shoes will dissapear but that market for high end shoes which had grown in the last few years will slow down.
Many consumers of $800 shoes will step down to $200 shoes for a while and that is where he believes J Crew will try to position themselves.
We will see a lot of boutique shoe and clothes makers close shop in the next year as their market dries up.

I think it is more likely that these consumers will just wait for sales...

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
On the one hand, he says luxury is dead. On the other hand, he says he is positioning his company to go after the luxury market
confused.gif

I think he means targeting the people that are currently buying $800-900 shoes but either can no longer afford to do so or choose not to. From the looks of it, I'm guessing by providing them high quality goods for lower prices that go beyond simply brand and high price. But perhaps I misread.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
I think he means targeting the people that are currently buying $800-900 shoes but either can no longer afford to do so or choose not to. From the looks of it, I'm guessing by providing them high quality goods for lower prices that go beyond simply brand and high price. But perhaps I misread.

The problem is that the customer he is aiming for is the one most hurt. $200 shoes are a luxury to a large percentage of the US population, this forum is very skewed. The $800-900 retail shoe shopper is very unlikely to trade down to JCrew shoes, they will probably buy less. The "aspirational" shopper, the one that spends 200-300 on the bag that looks like the 2K Balenciaga bag or the one that goes to the Bergdorf's of the world when there is a massive sale, that is the shopper most hurting and the one that would bite a JCrew's "luxury" offerings. I think they either need to go the lower priced route or go really high end with some offerings, this middle ground will get them killed I think.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the customer he is aiming for is the one most hurt. $200 shoes are a luxury to a large percentage of the US population, this forum is very skewed. The $800-900 retail shoe shopper is very unlikely to trade down to JCrew shoes, they will probably buy less.

+1 You think Aportnoy is going to start picking up Jcrew specials?

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they either need to go the lower priced route or go really high end with some offerings, this middle ground will get them killed I think.

It will definitely be interesting to see what they do in the next few years wrt price/quality. I'm not sure I agree that they're trying to take a "middle ground" approach. My understanding is that in the last conference call, MD said that they were slashing retail prices dramatically in order to try to reduce customer reliance on the 40% off final sale (the ballet flats were their case in point, IIRC). At the same time, they're selling Rolex watches, Globetrotter Luggage, and Mackintosh coats at the stores. It's an interesting brand to watch, for sure.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
This is what he is saying. I love it when people who run huge companies think they know it all. The problem with this way of thinking is: -If this were to happen then once the economy turns, won't these people just stop buying J Crew and go back to buying $800-$900 shoes? Are they going to somehow show people "The error of their ways" with their fantastic sub-par merchandise? -*A large number* of people paying full retail for high end shoes will not be affected for the most part. -*Most* shoes in this price range last for a long time. People that have them can go a year or two without buying new shoes. You may have to buy a new pair of Kenneth Coles every year, but your John Lobbs will last for years and years. This is a concept people like Mickey don't understand or choose to ignore. *Most* shoes in this price range are that way for a reason. -People who appreciate quality shoes in this price range who may be affected by the economy will just wait for sales (there are plenty of them going on right now!). Or just find alternative ways to acquire them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads