1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Aug 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I don't know, it still looks off to me.

Edit: no hate, but since it's right up there -- something I've seen in all your pictures, ubl, is that your dress collars have an unusual rippling going on at the edges. Lining aside, it looks like the stitch tension on the topstitches is weird, causing a lot of puckering. Is this intentional?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I'm not Greg, either, but I like this fit of Foo's.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

nvm. clearly beyond my grasp.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

it's pretty common with unfused collars (you can see it a little on :foo: 's pic there as well)

but also, I do not iron my non-white dress shirts, so they end up a little more rumpled than most.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Navy worsted is good. I agree with unbel about a flannel suit - great match for me.

[​IMG]

Or you can be a little more adventurous and use with a different plaid sportcoat, but I would personally add a layer in between to break it off :

[​IMG]

The plaids here are inverted but that should give an idea

6. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I think (this goes for a lot of patterns/combinations), that these things look better than they ought when cropped in isolation as objects. You are just looking at an assemblage of colors and shapes in the abstract. The same goes for lots of pocket squares -- lovely pieces of fabric, but probably better on a wall than on your person. Anyway, I feel that if you added the person's face into the equation, there is something garish about a checked tie like this (save, for instance, a shepherd's check wedding tie) that looks goofy and tablecloth-ey. Maybe it's the rarity of the pattern, the scale of the checks, or these being predominantly wool, but there is something that reads as "unusual" when taken in a holistic fashion. Then again, I'm not one to like ties where people come up and say "Hey! Nice tie!"

For more thoughts on this subject, you can see another one of my critically-panned threads here:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/431112/...-dress-or-an-exhaustive-list-of-no-good-items

7. jet

jet Senior member

jesus

4 people like this.
  8. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Hmm, it seems a bit extreme to not iron your shirt if you're going to the extent of wearing a tie and pocket square. Anyway, my feelings on the matter of unfused collars, after copious real-world testing, is that you must send them to be pressed, unless you have some heavy duty machinery and/or a lot of time on your hands.

I might just have to see this in person to be disabused of my idea. I guess I just associate the pattern as a little too a-hunting-we-will-go to wear with a suit, flannel or otherwise. By the way, that arched knot and collar are positively Tom Wolfian, gdl...[​IMG] I know it was mentioned in the NSM thread when first posted.

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think you just have to press them from the outer parts towards the middle, so the wrinkles end up in the middle of the collar (and therefore on the back of your neck).

FWIW PhatGuido is also a non-ironer IIRC.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

TWSS?

1 person likes this.
  11. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Yes, and push down hard and roll the fabric with pulling motions and a lot of water. Inevitably, you get a congeries of spidery lines at the back when doing it yourself. I think this is another dilemma based on the intersection of authenticity and performance.

I do like gdl's glen check tie above.

PhatGuido is a non-everything of Foofian proportions, though. He did bring some seriously coherent combinations in his time, no doubt about it. The dogma is too much at times, though. Never press your shirts seems about as wrong-headed as only wear black longwings.

12. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I'm not really into pressjobs [​IMG]

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sounds like that kind of check is not your thing but I don't quite get the goofy or garish feels at all.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ha, well played.

Not that anyone's been waiting on my opinion, but I think the first example Greg posted above looks particularly good, and not especially flamboyant or garish. I might think twice about wearing it to court, but I'd say one could wear it to a fairly conservative law office without raising any eyebrows.

I like unbel's color/pattern too, although I share the view that the the shirt/collar texture don't work well there.

15. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I thought that thread was a piss-take. No?

Check ties (even beyond the shepherd check wedding tie) have a pretty long history, as I understand it. Some tie makers have probably stretched that tradition a bit recently by using jacketing cloths that look like what they are when made into ties. But a check wool tie with appropriate texture, tasteful colors, and a properly scaled pattern can be part of a coherent fit (with or without a human head associated). It remains an unusual tie pattern, but frankly so are neats at this point.

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Unbel, and Greg, awesome. Check ties are super cool and not googy if you ask me.

I have a similar tie, wool or cashmere, I forget, from Panta. I think it works well with other jacket weaves not flannel, as well. Like so...:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

:fonz::fonz::fonz:

18. zissou

zissou Senior member

I would love to know where to get some unstructured spread collar shirts like this.

19. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

It's funny to me that deviating from canon is seen as so incomprehensible that it's assumed to be mannered parody. [​IMG]

Also, it took me about 8 reads to understand what you meant by human heads there, thought we were talking about sacrifice for a minute. I know, sometimes #menswear feels like blood sport.

It could be, could be. Maybe a personal preference and not a heuristic. I would need to see more of these in real life worn by charming people.

You won't like the answer.

20. zissou

zissou Senior member

What, Banana Republic?