1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Aug 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Please to do that. The last one was so much fun!

2. Holy Man

Holy Man Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

With all the talk about Formosa and Eidos, I'd like to solicit your input regarding the two suits below. First up is the Eidos charcoal glenplaid suit shown below.
    [​IMG]

The other suit I'm interested in is the Formosa PoW flannel, as shown below.
    [​IMG]
    Other than the differences in construction, fabric, fit, and obviously costs, which suit will be the better investment?

I agree with everyone else here that Eidos is a fantastic entry point to luxury suiting and I only see their prices going up, but I also see demand for Formosa going up.

Unfortunately, getting both is not an option for me. I am, however, open to offers. [​IMG]

Thanks!

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^ first thing to think about is whether you would like to have a vest or not to wear as a 3-piece. If so, then that makes the Eidos an easy choice.

If by investment you mean something to buy now and sell at a higher price later...I do not recommend this strategy.

1 person likes this.
  4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

You mean other than everything about the suit?

the construction can make a suit worth $3000 or $300. The fabric can make it a winter (flannel) or a spring.

Its like saying "other than the looks, reliability, and price of the cars, which is better" huh?

Everything depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  5. Holy Man

By investment, I meant that I'm looking for something that will retain value for longer, not buying now and selling later. And by value, I mean utility to me and possibly to my posterity. Think a classic Minnis Fresco that a father hands down to his son, assuming said son will fit into the suit, or at the very least, make minor alterations.

6. 1969

1969 Senior member

+1

(but was it made with vintage rugs? )

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

My dad is 6 inches shorter than I am and has a waist size about 3 sizes larger.

I would think it's got to be tough to have suit pants last that long if you're wearing them with frequency.

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

To be honest if that's your top priority, then I wouldn't recommend flannel. It's a fantastic cloth to wear in that it looks and feels wonderful, but it's not the longest-lasting if you're wearing frequently. Worsted flannel is supposed to last longer than woolen, but still, the other suits will last longer.

That said, both these suits will probably last longer than you can stay the same size and avoid devastating spills that dry cleaning can't overcome. I wouldn't call either one "trendy", but of the two, the Formosa is the more conservatively styled.

2 people like this.
  9. Stone

Stone Senior member

Just grabbed one of the navy donegal sport coats in a 50. Here's hoping the sizing works out.

1 person likes this.
  10. Holy Man

I'm looking for:
    1. Fully canvased
    2. 3 season fabric
    3. PoW/Glen Plaid design
    4. Soft shoulders

Both suits meet what I'm looking for, but where they differ is summarized in the table below:
    Feature​
    Formosa​
    Eidos​
    Construction Handmade Machine-made
    Fit Extended front darts, longer length, lower buttoning point Side darts, rounded quarters, narrower sleeves, wider lapels
    Vest No vest Vest

Note, I am not asking which one will fit me best, but rather, which one would I continue wearing 3, 5, maybe even 10 years later?

I suppose a similar, but probably flawed, due to my limited knowledge on TWAT, analogy is to ask which would be a better investment: a Jaeger LeCoultre or a Rolex?

11. WSJ1

WSJ1 Senior member

Mind I do not! You've made me way too impatient now.

12. Holy Man

Thanks! I suppose that I should probably just order both, try-on, post fit pics here, and then keep the one that receives the most [​IMG] from this crowd!

1 person likes this.
  13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

That certainly offers us the most entertainment value! :lurk:

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Well, next week we will have some Eidos fun. The 50 and 52 Donegal SC are on their way. I have never been much of a gambler!

15. forex

forex Senior member

Question on the Formosa MTO. Is there an option to choose pockets? Example, can you get flap pockets or 3 patch pockets?
    Also, can you use your own fabric for the MTO? I think I read somewhere that you could do so.

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes to all of that. We cannot make changes to the pattern (e.g. lower shoulder here, extreme drop there) but as long as the rtw pattern is preserved and Formosa does not need to alter it into a new pattern, every other detail is up to the customer (fabric, pockets, lapels, shoulder expression, lining color, etc...)

17. jet

jet Senior member

so if the eidos jackets and coats are machine made what makes them more $$$ than fs out of curiosity

18. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

19. forex

forex Senior member

Thanks Greg.
    Couple more questions. What do you mean by lapel? As in you can change the lapel width? Also, could you ask to do a true 3 button coat rather than 3r2?
    It looks like it is best to get measured once by Formosa and then place orders? I like the convenience of not traveling for fittings and if fit is good and it looks good from what I have seen on most, MTO looks very tempting. Hopefully it is a long term relationship with Formosa for your customers sake.

20. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

What does the C in that 44C denote?