• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, one should take the same size as the cotton shirts - the popovers are cut more comfortably and looser everywhere for two reasons : (1) that's the style, and (2) you've got to be able to pull it over your head and shoulders so a trim waist doesn't make sense for popovers.

I'm asking b/c the Inglese (which I've not worn) looks to be a full inch + slimmer than the Mazzarelli (which I have worn) in the same size. The 38 Mazzarelli is good on me w/ a 41.7 chest - not sure the 39 Inglese (w/ a 40.6 chest) would work. Are you saying the pop is looser to the extent I'll be OK, or would I go up to a 39?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm asking b/c the Inglese (which I've not worn) looks to be a full inch + slimmer than the Mazzarelli (which I have worn) in the same size. The 38 Mazzarelli is good on me w/ a 41.7 chest - not sure the 39 Inglese (w/ a 40.6 chest) would work. Are you saying the pop is looser to the extent I'll be OK, or would I go up to a 39?
Inglese linen in 39 is closer to 41.5" chest. The popover would be closer to 42.5" chest and less taper to the waist.

ezlau

Reaction score
The grey pedaled tee with hand warmers looks like a great top for outdoor running (if I ever run) :embar:

I remember seeing the black frog jacket at the trunk show (with the hidden compartment for backpacks) and was quite impressed :) Again, if I ever workout/bike it would actually be useful for me.

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Actually, NMWA needs some coats for truly cold weather. Those LBM coats aren't too warm below -20 Celsius because they aren't fully lined. They're still great though. I've worn my LBM more often than my other winter coats this past season. I'm wearing it today because it's still very much below the freezing point here.

We need stylish clothes for heat waves and cold snaps.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Actually, NMWA needs some coats for truly cold weather. Those LBM coats aren't too warm below -20 Celsius because they aren't fully lined. They're still great though. I've worn my LBM more often than my other winter costs this past season. I'm wearing it today because it's still very much below the freezing point here.

That Esemplare parka tho...

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, NMWA needs some coats for truly cold weather. Those LBM coats aren't too warm below -20 Celsius because they aren't fully lined. They're still great though. I've worn my LBM more often than my other winter costs this past season. I'm wearing it today because it's still very much below the freezing point here.

Yeah, the down filled parkas weren't enough?

I feel like there may have been another choice or two no longer on the site ...

hanbei23

Reaction score
I will say that I've worn Alva Wool Mac DB quite a lot. It is warm (when the temperature dips <20) especially layered over sweaters, and the throat latch and stand-up collar, comes in quite handy.

hanbei23

Reaction score
meant to say...say 20 degree F not, Celsius.

agreed, at -20C, you need parkas...

wasn't there a valstar heavy wool fur-hooded parka so something.

Asian Afro

Reaction score
OK, haven't tried Esemplare. Thought someone said that it's not THAT warm, so I never gave it a shot. I'll wait for FW14.

Asian Afro

Reaction score

agreed, at -20C, you need parkas...

Not necessarily. I wound up layering a lot this winter: shirt + wool sweater + fully lined wool coat + wool scarf is usually enough. If the temperature looked dire, I'd wear a light grey base layer under my shirt.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not necessarily. I wound up layering a lot this winter: shirt + wool sweater + fully lined wool coat + wool scarf is usually enough. If the temperature looked dire, I'd wear a light grey base layer under my shirt.

Agreed. I just got a camel hair polo, and it is definitely warm enough for temps this cold. But I would think the cable knit-lined parka would be too. YMMV though, different people feel cold at different temps.

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Yes, people used to cold tend not to feel it as much. I find that the easiest way to look stylish in deep freeze is to go full MC. With a light suit (10 oz. fabric) and a medium weight topcoat I can easily handle -20C weather. The whole coat-and-tie look is layered to begin with and the tie requires the shirt to be buttoned to the top, trapping more warmth. (The tie itself also acts as a light scarf.) Add a scarf, a fully lined wool topcoat, lined leather gloves and a pair of leather boots (lined or unlined) and one is pretty well prepared for any winter in the city.

If the dress code at work weren't so casual I'd probably just wear heavier suits and top coats in deep winter. Since it is very casual, I guess I'll look at Esemplare.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If the dress code at work weren't so casual I'd probably just wear heavier suits and top coats in deep winter.

This is my usual strategy, although I usually need heavy suit and the polo coat. Btw what was that SC you were wearing on Sunday? Looked like a barleycorn or something. Really nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads