1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Aug 15, 2013.

1. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Yeah, guys! Leave Greg alone! Can't you see that his sartorial contributions are redefining the very nature of Time and Space!

2. n2pua

n2pua Senior Member

I don't think any of us were trying to hassle Greg. We are fully aware that if NMWA found a house brand of tailoring viable, it would have happened by now (but there have been enough makers filling this need for NMWA). With the demise of the current Eidos iteration and the rise of offerings from shops like Anglo Italian and Berg & Berg, I don't agree with the notion of a dying market for this level of RTW/MTM.

Clearly, there will be market shifts and I get that yes, how many Navy & Grey staples do you need ....... BUT, if there was an occasional GMTO of something unique at an entry level price point, with the execution we've come to expect from NMWA, why wouldn't there be a loyal following.

only one way to find out.

3. g transistor

g transistor Distinguished Member

Do you seriously have a spreadsheet of how often you wear pieces? Please please please upload a visualization of it. You make some dope stuff and this is so niche that it makes me so damn happy.

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

What did you really like? What did you get? What did you like and would have gotten, but was sold out in your size?

Alright, so this year, I really focused on the basics. I picked up a lot of Inglese shirts, a lot of Eidos, a LBM overcoat, and some ties.

I really, really like the LBM overcoat. A great polo-styled coat.

I also really, really like Inglese shirts. I own a pretty large amount of Inglese shirts, and I buy them because they are awesome. I will also continue to buy them, because, well, they are awesome. There are a few that sold out before I was able to get to them.

I really like your selection of ties. However, I will admit, I do usually buy them on sale (with a few exceptions). The reason: your selection is always good and I haven't had anything resembling a dud. I actually do not mind having less to choose from at the end of the year, makes my decision easier.

My only heartbreak of the year was the Solaro Eidos suit. I also would have purchased some Rota moleskin trousers.

5. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

Isn’t berg berg on big discount to clean out at year end all the time? Don’t think Greg want to be the season final sale all tailoring 50% off or more guy

6. 1969

1969 Distinguished Member

NMWA broswer history ads seem to be a pretty effective styling generator (Sorry Kyle). Sort of Wooster-like.

upload_2018-1-22_15-15-0.png upload_2018-1-22_15-14-38.png

upload_2018-1-22_15-15-10.png

7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

@gdl203 - Frank Leder herringbone/donegal pants are amazing. Still contemplating how I'm going to tailor them but I feel I can't go wrong as long as I don't try and taper them too much

missed out on the Niche short sleeve floral shirt, and would literally trade half my collection if you could find a way to bring back the Lightning Herbal Camo shirt.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I appreciate all the feedback - it's so so useful for us to read those and get a sense (beyond page view data) of what you like or not.

On the lower price point tailoring, it is not hard to find middle-of-the-road, inexpensive options - they're everywhere at Pitti and fairs like that. It's just not what we're about IMO. If I ever camecross something that I thought was really well-made, at a lower cost and made with integrity and in ethical conditions, I would be all over it. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for and there's no magic bullet : good fabrics, talented craftsmen, good wages and conditions = higher cost. I fully get that not everyone cares about those factors - and there are options for that.

I'm just conscious of not trying to chase down costs to get more volume and veer away from the reason why I created NoMan and the values we try to uphold.

I'll just point out that we will have Eidos tailoring styles (unless they decide not to deliver them) for spring/summer: NMWA tailoring, Sal trousers, etc... For FW18, wait a few more days and we will have better clarity.

9. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

They're soooo good

@gdl203 I've built out my tailored clothing wardrobe over the past 5 or so years and the only thing still on my list is a Formosa in a staple, year-round fabric. That being said, I'm only in tailored clothing for weddings these days so I find it difficult to justify the purchase. I appreciate having the option but realize I have no skin in the game.

To reiterate others, what I really like about NMWA is the exposure to brands that I would not have discovered otherwise. It was through the NMWA reissue of the Stephan Schneider Merino that kicked off my borderline obsession with his outerwear and scarves, of which I have over 10 pieces each. This began my move away from Neopolitan/Italian tailoring in my casual fits and pointed me down the SWD path which I am now on.

Likewise to other brands including Norwegian Rain, Inis Meain, Frank Leder, Master Piece, Calabrese, La Portegna, Frank Clegg, Heschung, Suzusan, Castaner, Buttero, and more. Many of these makers are carried by other retailers but I keep coming back to NMWA for your excellent buys, customer service, product photos, measurements, and the sheer amount of time and energy you and @conceptual 4est spend participating on SF.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018 at 2:09 PM

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

On a separate note, we're right in the middle of buying season for FW18 and got back from Paris today.

One highlight that I must put forward is Norwegian Rain and a couple of new styles that will knock your socks off. In particular, they created a M51-style fishtail parka that looks so good in their materials, and will come with a detachable arctic liner. It's bonkers.

We'll make sure to offer pre-orders for those - I'm totally getting an orange one for myself

11. budapest12

budapest12 Distinguished Member

^ That sounds terrific. Do you anticipate a return of the lightweight Norwegian Rain coats? I kind of regret not getting one before.

12. Poomba

Poomba Senior Member

Other than mine taunts me with the Buttero sneakers that got away...

13. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

NMWA has the best outwear selection by far, I just don’t have the space for it...

14. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

^Agreed. Monitaly alone has ruined me for other outerwear..

15. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Distinguished Member

Is there any chance we can drum up enough interest to get a Formosa GMTO for a tobacco linen suit? I kick myself for not getting in the previous preorders, and was hoping there would be enough people interested to make a Group order possible