• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ Fair points both.

I can see why striped ties have that particular association as they're in current use as regimental labels. But no more than they are for schools or cricket clubs. I think I'd avoid wearing one with a blue blazer and grey trousers for looking too much like part of a touring sports team, and if you added in Hush Puppies (as if!), maybe airline ground staff or a security guard. But with something a little different, it's a nice change: I like mine with my soft-shouldered grey DB and suede shoes...very un-military, just fun.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I actually don't wear striped ties much either. But it's still true that they're versatile. You could wear striped ties pretty much always and it would never be wrong.

well, i guess it would depend on the width of the stripe and what not and what else you are wearing, but i guess the right striped tie might indeed be fine with any combination of jacket and shirt.

I feel the same way. I tend to avoid anything with a military history. 

interesting. has nothing to do with the military for me, i just find they dont call to me the way other tis do, and i have a hard time using them right. maybe i just need more practice with them.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love striped ties too and should wear them much more often.:slayer:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Luciano Barbera wears them all the time if you're looking for some good examples.

will google. thanks!

Love striped ties too and should wear them much more often.:slayer:

i have seen you post at least one. it almost made me kop some striped ties from NMWA, but i went with neats/medallions instead. i seem to gravitate towards those the most.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It leaves me with no regimental ties, great coats, field jackets, cap toe blucher boots, cargo pants, patrol caps, bdu pants etc. I get by. Maybe I will soften with time but I'm turning in all of my real Army stuff in 2 weeks so....

Seeing as the loincloth was a staple item for the Greek hoplite, you should probably forgo underwears as well, just to stay true to your principles...

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
But isn't going without "commando"? It's a minefield isn't it? Oops...there we go again...

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seeing as the loincloth was a staple item for the Greek hoplite, you should probably forgo underwears as well, just to stay true to your principles...

But not wearing underwear is an infantry thing.

steveoly

Reaction score
For the non-FC/Cyber Monday sale items, is there a new 10% code for December? I am writing my letter to Santa and would like to include this information if possible. Thanks.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sale kops arrived!!! Thanks, NMWA team. :cheers:

Quick pics from work. :)

eheda9y6.jpg

7a2ydyra.jpg

ady8e7em.jpg

ajy5y7ut.jpg

JawnGault

Reaction score
Any clue when the S&C cardigans will be restocked--particularly the navy in small?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads