• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Due to their association with colleges, striped ties are appropriate with pretty much everything. They're not like neats that have an association with suiting or heavily textured ties that are for more informal clothing. You can wear them with business suits, tweeds, whatever. This one I think would look great with a brown tweed jacket in addition to Greg's suggestions.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gents. That particular shade of grey seems like I might be too close to either navy or typical mid-grey suiting, with insufficient contrast resulting even with a white or blue shirt as background. Brown tweed or faux-tweed certainly seems like it would work.

Last edited:

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A birthday gift from my girlfriend. She purchased this, unprompted, from NMWA.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's a keeper !!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We do take all measurements ourselves, and let me tell you it is incredibly time consuming.   What one person considers "key" certainly isn't for another.  You think thigh measurement on all trousers is key, but someone else thinks that not nearly enough and that measurements are useless without front rise, back rise, waist, inseam, outseam, thigh, knee and hem (yes, this is an actual request).   So... where do we draw the line?   We cannot possibly take all possible measurements on every garment in every size.   This would represent a considerable amount of time at the moment when we need resources most (when shipments arrive), all this to (maybe) satisfy a few customers on the margin.   Like for everything, we chose very carefully where we draw the line for the information displayed online.  I think the measurements we show are more than enough to get a good sense of sizing from a store that offers free shipping and free returns on everything (not during final sales of course).    We offer more measurements than most e-commerce stores, and probably less than some others.

So, in the event some "key" measurement is missing to make a decision, we can work with those customers to provide additional measurements.  And then they can try the garments for free in the comfort of their home.  Many people have been taking advantage of our easy shipping and return policy.   

I understand that it works well for some, and not for others.  There is no way we can please everyone, so we're trying to make sure we please as many as we can with the limited resources and time that we have.

this is quite reasonable and something that very few online retailers will do. and if a potential customer is upset because you don't provide absolutely everything up front (when any further requests will be freely and promptly entertained for the cost of your time to pm or email)....well those customers are usually such a pain ********** that it might be a blessing in disguise not to get their business.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who are not Founders Circle members, we are opening the sale up to all in celebration of Cyber Monday.

Note that all marked-downs are final sale (no returns). We'll be back to our regular free returns policy after the sale.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If anyone picked up the Oliver Spencer bomber in burgundy in a 42 and isn't feeling it, get a hold of me. I was out of town most of the weekend and missed out.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
After debating with myself for a week on whether I should get another coat, I picked up the navy casentino DB coat. I have the brown casentino DB and really like it a lot. I think it looks great and has now been battle tested in Minnesota winter conditions. I think Greg mentioned that the navy DB would make a great alternative to a peacoat, and that's what I'm going for here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Due to their association with colleges, striped ties are appropriate with pretty much everything. They're not like neats that have an association with suiting or heavily textured ties that are for more informal clothing. You can wear them with business suits, tweeds, whatever. This one I think would look great with a brown tweed jacket in addition to Greg's suggestions.

i dont know why, but i have a really hard time buying and wearing striped ties. i just find that i shy away from them. not sure what the deal is.

A birthday gift from my girlfriend. She purchased this, unprompted, from NMWA.

that is awesome.

that item is the first thing that gaot me on the NMWA train, and yet i still dont have one.

this is quite reasonable and something that very few online retailers will do. and if a potential customer is upset because you don't provide absolutely everything up front (when any further requests will be freely and promptly entertained for the cost of your time to pm or email)....well those customers are usually such a pain ********** that it might be a blessing in disguise not to get their business.

plus infinity. i know very few stores, B&M or online, that offer the service that NMWA does. i have heard it said, you cant please everyone, and if you do, you are probably talking out of both sides of your mouth.

i think the NMWA policies and CS are great, and i am happy to see them sticking to their guns on the decisions they have made. make me respect them even more.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont know why, but i have a really hard time buying and wearing striped ties. i just find that i shy away from them. not sure what the deal is.

I feel the same way. I tend to avoid anything with a military history.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That must leave you with a pretty limited wardrobe...

It leaves me with no regimental ties, great coats, field jackets, cap toe blucher boots, cargo pants, patrol caps, bdu pants etc. I get by. Maybe I will soften with time but I'm turning in all of my real Army stuff in 2 weeks so....

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics