• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
My general sizing advice with NR is that sizing is very consistent generally across the styles (assuming no added optional liners) and quite TTS for use over a sweater : (1) take your normal US letter size, (2) size up one if you're planning on wearing on top of a jacket; (3) size up one again if you're planning on adding an optional liner most of the times.

So if I'm typically a US L (42), I will take a Large in NR. But I will size up to XL if I get a SB with liner. If I plan on wearing it mostly on top of a suit with the liner on, I'll take XXL. What matters is how you plan on wearing it most of the times. Squeezing it on top of a jacket from time to time isn't the end of the world if you typically wear the coat without a jacket. But doing it every other day during the winter will get annoying.

Start with your typical US lettered size, and order that in the Bumfreezer, Biker, Moscow, Single Breasted w/o liner, Double Breasted w/o liner

For the SB and DB, if you're ordering the arctic liner, order one size larger than your typical size. The liner does make them fit a full size slimmer.

If you plan on wearing this coat over a suit 80%+ of the time, consider sizing up again, with the exception being the Moscow. It has enough room in your typical size to accommodate one.

How do the Monitaly corduroy pants fit? Is a Rota 48 roughly equivalent to a 32 or 34 Monitaly?

Possibly a 32, but I'd check the measurements of these against other 5-pocket style pants (e.g. jeans) you own and like the fit of. The tagged sizes on these are much more literal than most other jeans, with no vanity sizing.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Start with your typical US lettered size, and order that in the Bumfreezer, Biker, Moscow, Single Breasted w/o liner, Double Breasted w/o liner

For the SB and DB, if you're ordering the arctic liner, order one size larger than your typical size. The liner does make them fit a full size slimmer.

If you plan on wearing this coat over a suit 80%+ of the time, consider sizing up again, with the exception being the Moscow. It has enough room in your typical size to accommodate one.

Possibly a 32, but I'd check the measurements of these against other 5-pocket style pants (e.g. jeans) you own and like the fit of. The tagged sizes on these are much more literal than most other jeans, with no vanity sizing.

Kyle, do you wear size M in SB with Arctic liner? I'm thinking to get size L.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For anyone looking at the NR Biker, I highly recommend it.

Here I am in a medium w/ mixed grey fabric. I have a sweater on underneath and am comfortable. The arms are cut high enough that I can feel the constriction. The pit to pit measurement on my biker is around 22.25". The quilted wool liner is no joke and this is probably the warmest garment I have by far.

For reference - I'm 5'10" and normally 145-150 lbs but right now I'm at my skinniest. I take a small in most button-up shirts (or shirts with ~20" pit to pit), and am between a 36/38 jacket/suit. I like my shirts to be fitted but my outerwear to have some room.

Don't hesitate on these pre-orders from NMWA. They are truly awesome especially with those fabric options.

I pre-ordered a medium bumfreezer, although I have no idea how that will fit.

This is exactly what concerns me: constriction at the armholes. I assume Bumfreezer is cut similarly? Any other NR wearers care to weigh in on this? Love the look of this jacket, and would be extremely useful in Boston, but I place comfort and freedom of movement at a premium.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High armholes are meant to increase freedom of movement, not hinder it.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Far people like myself with forward shoulders, many jacket cuts (Samuelsohn is particularly bad for me) can feel as though the armhole is being very restrictive. This of course is actually the front chest/ shoulder being cut too wide for the forward shoulders.

I'm sure you already know this, I was just quoting your post to continue the conversation for the OP.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hallo, NMWA friends. Hope ya'll are well. Picked up 2 Camoshita SCs from the sale.

Schneider and Dents for your viewing pleasure in the meanwhile...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone care to comment on Barbanera shoes? Thinking about picking up a pair... need some new captoes...

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've heard this said and there's a certain amount of logic to it, but it hasn't been my experience.

Far people like myself with forward shoulders, many jacket cuts (Samuelsohn is particularly bad for me) can feel as though the armhole is being very restrictive. This of course is actually the front chest/ shoulder being cut too wide for the forward shoulders. 

I'm sure you already know this, I was just quoting your post to continue the conversation for the OP.

Perhaps this is my situation: my shoulders do pitch forward a bit and there is some rounding to my upper back. The constriction I typically feel in these cases is most notable at the front of my shoulders, above the pits. Thanks for this input, though I'm not quite sure how to address it (attempting to improve my posture would no doubt be a start; easier said than done).

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone care to comment on Barbanera shoes? Thinking about picking up a pair... need some new captoes...
Totally recommend. Bought the brown suede u-caps on sale and have been very impressed. Materials, consruction and finishing are definitely on par with the (full) price point. Last is more on the round side but is by no means as round as Barrie or Trubalance from Alden.

EDIT: Also decent amount of volume in the shoe. Not enough to size down, but it does make up of the fuller end of the "D" width spectrum.

Last edited:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unscientific personal opinion based on my experience of my daily wears:
Better than Allen Edmunds
On par with Alden
On par with Crockett & Jones
A slight step below Vass
A slight step below Buday

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Totally recommend. Bought the brown suede u-caps on sale and have been very impressed. Materials, consruction and finishing are definitely on par with the (full) price point. Last is more on the round side but is by no means as round as Barrie or Trubalance from Alden.

EDIT: Also decent amount of volume in the shoe. Not enough to size down, but it does make up of the fuller end of the "D" width spectrum.

Unscientific personal opinion based on my experience of my daily wears:
Better than Allen Edmunds
On par with Alden
On par with Crockett & Jones
A slight step below Vass
A slight step below Buday

Thanks guys. That is kind of what I was hoping for. I need a couple more daily wearers (my two most staid shoes are about to go back for a re-craft :\), and I do not really want to fork over EG / GG, or even Vass money.

Does anyone have the burgundy? Can anyone opine on the color of the burgundy? Is it darker, or lighter? Kind of hard to tell from the pictures.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Darn that's good. I think my need to wear a tux anytime in the foreseeable future is nil, but I kind of wish I did need to so I could wear one of those.

Ok that looks fantastic Krish ! 
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

Formosa tux is freaking
1f525.png
1f44c.png

Thanks guys.

I had a ton of time after I put it all on before we left for the event, and noticed that I have a little drop in my right shoulder and need to get a little padding on that side. I knew that a long time ago, but good to know that now, as I'm getting another suit taken to the tailor soon. Maybe I'll take the tuxedo in with me too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads