• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

Dairy Phobic

Reaction score
Hi GDL, I have a few questions about the Esemplare felted polyester parka.

For sizing, I am 6'1.5" 180 lbs, with a 42 chest, considering I will layer with a thin long sleeve tee and a medium/thick knit, would XL be the right size?
Also would the parka be warm enough combined with the above mentioned layers for average winter of about 14 degrees + windchill (reaching about 0 degrees)?
Is the parka's breath-ability similar to wools of the same thickness? Never had any polyester outwear before.
Do you have an approximation of the sleeve length from shoulders? I know parka sleeve is suppose to be long, but I don't want it past my knuckles :lol:

Thanks

Last edited:

rc121

Reaction score
awesome deal on those AS. anyone with wide feet have experience with either the 104 or 106 last? I'm a EE/3E in most AE and wondering whethet I could make .5 size up work or whether I might have to go a full size

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having just seen them at the trunk show, I will say that the Mac quilted jacket and IM shawl collar sweater are really, really nice. Kopped the sweater as an MTO in Antra/Viola.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Having just seen them at the trunk show, I will say that the Mac quilted jacket and IM shawl collar sweater are really, really nice. Kopped the sweater as an MTO in Antra/Viola.

Groovy. I think I'm going to DTO aportnoy and do the cardigan in antra/viola. I'm wearing the toggle shawl in the off-white color offered in the store right now. Great sweater.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi GDL, I have a few questions about the Esemplare felted polyester parka.

For sizing, I am 6'1.5" 180 lbs, with a 42 chest, considering I will layer with a thin long sleeve tee and a medium/thick knit, would XL be the right size?
Also would the parka be warm enough combined with the above mentioned layers for average winter of about 14 degrees + windchill (reaching about 0 degrees)?
Is the parka's breath-ability similar to wools of the same thickness? Never had any polyester outwear before.
Do you have an approximation of the sleeve length from shoulders? I know parka sleeve is suppose to be long, but I don't want it past my knuckles
lol8[1].gif

Thanks
I have the parka in a medium. I am 5'11" and 177 lbs, with a 40.5" chest. With a thin knit, it fits really well, but with a heavier knit, it's a bit tighter than optimal, not so much through the chest, but through the shoulders. The sleeves are long, but not ridiculously long. I have a 72".wingspan, and the sleeves are perfect for me, hitting just past my wrists. If I were you, I'd probably go with the XL. If you are going to wear it in 14 F weather, you are gong to want layering options, and the sightly oversized parka silhouette, on a taller, lankier dude, can looks rally good.

I grew up in Canada, in a place where 14 degrees was pretty much the winter average (without windchill factored in), and I think that the parka would probably work, though not on it's own. It cuts the wind pretty well, but it's not insulated that much. The jacket has double layers of fabric in many places, so with a heavier knit, it should be okay. It's reasonably breathable. I mean, polar fleeces are all polyester, and they work fine.

Dairy Phobic

Reaction score

I have the parka in a medium.  I am 5'11" and 177 lbs, with a 40.5" chest.  With a thin knit, it fits really well, but with a heavier knit, it's a bit tighter than optimal, not so much through the chest, but through the shoulders.  The sleeves are long, but not ridiculously long.  I have a 72".wingspan, and the sleeves are perfect for me, hitting just past my wrists.  If I were you, I'd probably go with the XL.  If you are going to wear it in 14 F weather, you are gong to want layering options, and the sightly oversized parka silhouette, on a taller, lankier dude, can looks rally good.

I grew up in Canada, in a place where 14 degrees was pretty much the winter average (without windchill factored in), and I think that the parka would probably work, though not on it's own.  It cuts the wind pretty well, but it's not insulated that much.  The jacket has double layers of fabric in many places, so with a heavier knit, it should be okay.  It's reasonably breathable.  I mean, polar fleeces are all polyester, and they work fine.  

cool thank you very much :satisfied:, ya XL sounds good now, the wind chill can get crazy here along with the cold humidity right by the lake

also I think I have read some of your posts mentioning you lived in Kingston?

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool thank you very much
satisfied.gif
, ya XL sounds good now, the wind chill can get crazy here along with the cold humidity right by the lake

also I think I have read some of your posts mentioning you lived in Kingston?
I was born near Toronto, and grew up n Kingston, but it's been a long time since I actually lived there.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't have the Esemplare parka, but I have the Esemplare bomber. Assuming the sizing is similar, I'd definitely recommend the XL. I have pretty much your exact same measurements, and the XL is even a little too tight if I put a thick knit under it.

I tried on the XL parka and it fit pretty much perfectly, but I wasn't wearing a thick knit at the time. If I had been, would probably be a tad snug, but still very wearable.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

well done sir. you going to be at the show again tomorrow?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hope to see lots of pics of your trunk show. It sounds like a great time. Have a great event Greg.

Thanks Gus

Guys, between all the quoted posts, I can't tell which color this is--is it pallissandro? Or grigio/antracite? Want for an MTO.

That is palissandro

Greg, Could you give a break down of the special mixes in the IM knits? I am mostly interested in (from left to right) numbers 2 & 3. It looks like viola and noce for #2 while #3 is rosaroassa and viola? And one more thing, would the sleeve length on a Large be long enough for someone who wears a 34/35 shirt? The medium birdseye IM was a little too short in the sleeves for me, and I want to make sure a Large would suffice before ordering. (I'm torn between the toggle shawl and gansey).

Large would have long enough sleeves for you. I can try to give you more details on color combo names tomorrow when I have the knit downs in front of me

G -
Is this sweater:

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/marled-brown-classic-aran-cable-crewneck-sweater-2101.html

in the "noce" color? Or is the noce not marled at all?

That was a special mix of noce/selvaggio. Solid noce is the color of our crooked sickle gansey

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with @LA Guy and @unbelragazzo on Esemplare parka sizing : XL

EvanM

Reaction score
Are there any future plans to add Inis Meain items in their 70/30 or 100% cashmere makes?
I'm curious as to how those fabrics compare to the 90/10 makes because the 90/10 already feels amazing as it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads