• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

They look like it'll tear **** up ain't about to start brushing my knits g.

I use mine on most knits and all suits/SCs/trousers and they don't.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They look like it'll tear **** up ain't about to start brushing my knits g.

Sorry mayne I don't understand what you mean then. A lint brush for knits?
confused.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I need to buy another any time soon (aka until next month), but any plans to restock the houndstooth Formosa or stock a guncheck Formosa sport coat? I have the 3 piece and the moonbeam on my radar next but a guncheck jacket would be great and the houndstooth looks very cool
We can't restock the Minnis houndstooth unless we do a re-run of the Minnis 0656 fabric. And we can only do a re-run if there's enough demand for fabric cuts, because the size of the roll we need to order is way too large to just do Formosa suits.

I need to post the swatches for what I have in mind for Formosa SS16 and pre-orders, and there will be a summer gun check in there. But winter stuff is all here now - nothing more in fall/winter weight is coming until September/October, unless it is MTO or GMTO

The Moonbeam is amazing though - if it's still in stock in your size, I would think hard about this one.

Last edited:

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wasn't enthused about the Moonbeam initially, but it grew on me and is definitely one of the next two I purchase. At this point just have to hope it's still around next month, two Formosa purchases a month is plenty for me!

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you guys with the Combatentes shirt from Portuguese Flannel wearing it as an overshirt over another button down? Can I get away with it over a flannel or heavier button down? Assuming I should size up for that.

Also, if I fit nicely into a 42 Barba shirt from their slimmer line, assuming I should go for the same in an Inglese?

sweatybrain

Reaction score
Greg,

I tried some search, but need advice on sizing on SS memory coat. I'm 5'10" 185 with broad shoulder. In J crew ludlow suit, I typically wear 40, and in a more trad suits like BB, I wear 38. I looked at the measurement for the memory coat size V and it looks huge....Should I be sizing down to a IV? Interested in the camel version :)

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Greg,

I tried some search, but need advice on sizing on SS memory coat. I'm 5'10" 185 with broad shoulder. In J crew ludlow suit, I typically wear 40, and in a more trad suits like BB, I wear 38. I looked at the measurement for the memory coat size V and it looks huge....Should I be sizing down to a IV? Interested in the camel version :)

Not Greg, but I'll play...

Given the soft nature of that coat the measurements are deceiving. Despite looking big I went with my standard SS sizing. I wear a VI and based off your info I think a V would be perfect

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Are you guys with the Combatentes shirt from Portuguese Flannel wearing it as an overshirt over another button down? Can I get away with it over a flannel or heavier button down? Assuming I should size up for that.

Also, if I fit nicely into a 42 Barba shirt from their slimmer line, assuming I should go for the same in an Inglese?

All of the above - but I would order your regular size on this one, as these are meant to fit as overshirts.

As for the Inglese, probably? But check chest measurements first

Greg,

I tried some search, but need advice on sizing on SS memory coat. I'm 5'10" 185 with broad shoulder. In J crew ludlow suit, I typically wear 40, and in a more trad suits like BB, I wear 38. I looked at the measurement for the memory coat size V and it looks huge....Should I be sizing down to a IV? Interested in the camel version
smile.gif

Go with a V in this one, the measurements are a bit deceiving

edit: beaten

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry I missed the "why"

I think it's been discussed before... great shoes, questionable business practices/strategy.   Is there anyone left in the US that carries AS?   

FWIW, I had to completely resole my AS Pimlicos after one season, where they got wettish (not soaked) maybe once or twice. The sole stitching had come off on one of them.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry mayne I don't understand what you mean then. A lint brush for knits?
confused.gif

I give my wool sweaters and cardigans a light brush every now and then....you don't?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not that I need to buy another any time soon (aka until next month), but any plans to restock the houndstooth Formosa or stock a guncheck Formosa sport coat? I have the 3 piece and the moonbeam on my radar next but a guncheck jacket would be great and the houndstooth looks very cool

Here's the moonbeam in action (with calabrese tie) a couple of nights ago...sorry as always for crappy, low-lit pic

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Because it's classic and time to post it again ...

The Inis Meain sweaters are sweaters you wear to become a man. A sweater that you put on and go out and do an honest day of work in. They are not precious and not meant to be washed with your delicates. They should smell like sweat and oil, ***** and earth. These are the sweaters of Bull McCabe and Quint. Sweaters that leave on when you take your woman.

I swear to god, if I see one of you at a Bergdorf party wearing one of these sweaters and huddled in a corner fearing a waiter bumping into you with a tray of champagne I will throw you out a ******* window.

Also, Moonbeam! It's really surprising to me that it hasn't sold out at this point.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because it's classic and time to post it again ...

Also, Moonbeam! It's really surprising to me that it hasn't sold out at this point.

I wouldn't brush the Bulls Wool...that's cray. I'm just talking about your typical lambswool sweater.

If the Moonbeam was in stock in 50L, I would grab it.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually have no opinion on the brushing of knits. It never occurred to me. I just like re-posting that lefty post when the opportunity arises.
smile.gif

You should definitely consider having Steed make you a sport coat with that Moonbeam fabric. It's the right weight and versatile.

Last edited:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just never occurred to me either. I guess if there's stuff on it, I gently tap it or brush it off with my hand. I wouldn't want to brush knit wool fibers, but if you do it often and it doesn't seem to damage or pill the wool, then why not. And definitely never use a sticky lint roller there (it leaves glue deposits that are not good for the wool and great for moths)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics