٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Aug 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

How about some Philip Lim so we can score those amazing pants that 4est has?

2. Swangerman

Swangerman Senior member

I believe Carson Street Clothiers stocks Paraboot. They had a killer Chelsea boot from them in store this past fall.

3. Swangerman

Swangerman Senior member

I would love to see the products shot on a model. This is especially true for outerwear that extends beyond the hips (overcoats, topcoats, rain wear, etc). The multiple angles and detail shots are great but it can often be hard to judge how long a garment is. For this type of garment, the I am often have a specific length in mind (mid-thigh, above the know, just below the hips) and seeing the length (along with having the measurements) would help remove some of the guesswork.

4. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

I suggested this awhile back and the idea was shot down.

I also suggested having all gear sized right away so as not having to email nmwa and wait, but saw no reply..

I understand there are free returns but I am sensitive to a companys costs and I feel bad doing so, no matter the policy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Not my field, but I'm pretty sure that the staff necessary to size all gear right away would involve pretty substantial costs . . .

6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Bringing in a model every time shipments arrive sounds awful in terms of both cost and getting the products live in a timely manner.

7. Swangerman

Swangerman Senior member

My wife runs an online store so I appreciate how shooting on a model complicates product shots and adds to time, complexity and expense. I totally agree that the return policy makes ordering and returning a viable option for some reason I like to have an idea about these kinds of things before I take the plunge.

Perhaps it doesn't have to be done for all clothing, just outerwear where the length of garment is more variable. Particularly given the varying adherence to longer, more classical cuts and the shorter cuts of recent. Or a note in the description about this (similar to the note for the LBM overcoats running slim).

Don't get me wrong; this is small gripe. I think the selection is amazing--it as has introduced me to brands I didn't know about and in the year-ish NMWA has been around it has quickly become one of my go-to online shopping destinations. I just see this as a small point for optimization.

8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

9. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

I understand. But maybe only size up one of a same item from a manufacturer. The only reason I suggested it is because some items are sold out so fast in a certain size, perhaps from folks who know their sizing ...

I guess I'm so used to seeing sizing info all the time when I shop online I've grown to accept it as usual.

Maybe nmwa can get sizing info from the factory and post it. That takes a leap of faith though I guess...

Don't mean to sound pushy or make waves...

10. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Recognizing the difficulty in getting up measurements right away, I think it would be very helpful if on the NMWA site, there is at least a general description of how something fits (e.g., this is designed for a boxy fit at your regular size, consider sizing down for a slimmer fit OR sizing down will not provide a slim fit based on the cut) and provide recommended sizing, particularly with brands like Stephen Schneider where I have no clue what a 4 means, and it seems a 4 would work in one piece but you need to size up on another. I know this may be done with brands like Niche, but would be helpful for brands across the board. I also know this info is sometimes provided in this thread, but a customer shouldn't have to search a forum he may not be aware of in the first place to get this sizing advice.

Alternatively, have a representative "model" who, for example, usually takes a 38 and another who typically wears a 42 and say they would take a S or L and give their measurements (i.e., Joe has a 38" inch chest, 31" waist, is 5'8" tall and 150lbs.). This could be Kyle, Greg or others on the team who seem to try on at least a good number of the pieces that come in. This is extremely helpful in extrapolating what would work based on my actual measurements. It's not perfect, but takes much more guess work out of it if you can approximate sizing.

I may have a 40-50% return/exchange rate, and I likewise am weary of making that any higher, so sometimes, I just avoid ordering something.

But if the above suggestions are still too much work compared to the cost of letting customers keep ordering multiple sizes and returning what doesn't fit, I can live with that. I'll just have to get used to not feeling bad about it...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

11. TheSunisShining

TheSunisShining Senior member

Guy knows what he's talking about

12. Swangerman

Swangerman Senior member

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Bulls wool - Awesome for walking around Chicago with moleskins in 20 degree weather sans coat. Not so much for hanging out in a room heated to the high 70s.

14. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

I struggled with the idea of buying and returning because it makes me feel like a bad customer. The NMWA staff has killed that concern. It is easier and more cost effective for them to deal with returns than with getting up all of the sizes and getting live model shots. I accept that it is their decision and they know they own business better than I do.

As a helpful suggestion, I think they could solve some of these problems by just sending me all of the coolest gear and I'll post my selfies for the good of all.

15. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

That's a combo I wear at least once a week. :)