• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The confirmation didn't have a deposit payment link,

"We'll hold off charging you until the [pre-order deposit fw23] suede cowboy jacket is ready".

Should I have paid the deposit before I exited the order page?
Yes - if you didn't go through checkout and paid a deposit, your preorder basically does not count. We ignore all the incomplete ones

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure your browser allow pop-ups or it will keep blocking the site from opening the checkout tab

Henry S

Reaction score
look3-016-b.jpg

Lookbook doesn't show anymore which shirt is it. Is it the Portuguese Flannel Pied de Poule?

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - if you didn't go through checkout and paid a deposit, your preorder basically does not count. We ignore all the incomplete ones
Thanks for the clarification. Second time worked after I allowed popups to NMWA.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1889737

Lookbook doesn't show anymore which shirt is it. Is it the Portuguese Flannel Pied de Poule?
Its the Frank Leder shirt actually

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
Need sizing advice on the Rota higher-rise trousers. I typically wear US 34 waist in low/mid rise trousers and jeans. I thought my EU size would be 52 but maybe I should size up to 54 for the Rota higher rise trousers as they'll sit higher on my natural waist? There are a few on final sale that I'd like to pick up but I'm hesitant and if I get this wrong I can't return them.

solid_olid

Reaction score
@gdl203 any chance there is a tailoring restock coming up any time soon? I've got a memorial day wedding I need a suit for, and unfortunately what you currently have in stock isn't quite what I need.

Also, what does "Auth" mean in a suit size?

Trayco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need sizing advice on the Rota higher-rise trousers. I typically wear US 34 waist in low/mid rise trousers and jeans. I thought my EU size would be 52 but maybe I should size up to 54 for the Rota higher rise trousers as they'll sit higher on my natural waist? There are a few on final sale that I'd like to pick up but I'm hesitant and if I get this wrong I can't return them.
I go same size but I also go up on these two styles. But you can’t go wrong with going up since you can always tailor

oman17

Reaction score
Bit of a noob question but what are the pros/cons to felted wool vs. traditional woven wool, if any? Or is it just a aesthetic thing?

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bit of a noob question but what are the pros/cons to felted wool vs. traditional woven wool, if any? Or is it just a aesthetic thing?

Like worsted vs woolen fabrics? It's just whether the fibers are combed or not, I think. The fuzzier kind is more insulating. From DWW:

"Like all wool fabrics, flannel comes in two forms: worsted and woolen. Maybe these categories should be renamed to combed and uncombed, however, because it’s the combing process that separates them. Combing wool is exactly what it sounds like. Before wool is spun into yarn, a spinner can separate out the fibers by combing the material. This sets the hairs parallel to each other, as well as removes any of the shorter fibers that would spoil the regularity characteristic of worsted. After the wool has been combed, it’s spun into yarn and then woven into a fabric. And by combing the hairs first, the resulting fabric will feel a bit smoother and crisper, which is how you get shiny, hard-finished fabrics. Woolens, on the other hand, aren’t put through the same process. Thus, the fabric is spongier and loftier, as the fibers point in every possible direction. To give examples, gabardine is worsted; tweeds are generally woolen.

Flannel is available in both forms. Worsted flannel will have a subtle but visible twill weave just beneath its fuzzy nap. Woolen flannel, on the other hand, tends to look cloudier (like the every-which-way direction of the hairs on tweed). I prefer woolen flannel this time of year because it’s softer and spongier next to the skin, its lofty surface helps trap heat, and its mottled finish lends visual interest. None of these characteristics are present to the same degree in the increasingly more common worsted variety, whose only virtues are that it’s studier and can be woven into a lighter weight material. If you have the money for it, get worsted flannel for spring/ summer, then heavier woolen flannel trousers for those bitingly cold winter nights."

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Felted and flannel wools are rather different. Both usually begin as a woven fabric (flannel is always woven, felted can be made with unspun wool but is usually first woven). Flannel is brushed or napped on at least one side to make it softer. Felted wool usually undergoes a process of agitation with water and sometimes soaps to make the fibers expand and interlock, resulting in a very dense fabric. With felted wool, you often can no longer see the original weave of the yarns. Felted wool is usually more durable, warmer, and more waterproof than a simple woven or flannel fabric.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we are on maybe dumb questions….is it possible to have a navy wool jacket (outerwear) that isn’t instantly covered in fuzz and dog hair? Have I just had poor luck and the particular ones I tried were like magnets that looked like they we speckled in lint, fuzz and hair before I even leave the house or should I just give up on the idea of having a darker wool long coat?

Trayco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we are on maybe dumb questions….is it possible to have a navy wool jacket (outerwear) that isn’t instantly covered in fuzz and dog hair? Have I just had poor luck and the particular ones I tried were like magnets that looked like they we speckled in lint, fuzz and hair before I even leave the house or should I just give up on the idea of having a darker wool long coat?
There are supposed hair repelling materials but I only see it in furniture type items. Not clothing.
Unfortunately you must invest in lint rollers and the such. Sounds sad but I try to not engage with my dog as much as possible when wearing dark nice clothes . But I don’t wear a lot of black or navy clothing and if I do, it’s usually ones I don’t care about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads