• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are some of the weirdest / most cryptic / funniest dress codes you’ve been served on an invite?

someone on slack mentioned “Summer Chic otherwise known as cocktail attire with a summer twist! Colors encouraged, ties optional.” 😳

I once got invited to a “beach formal” wedding…

Here is my favorite anecdote.

When my wife and I were getting married we had someone host an engagement party for us. These people are super, super swanky, and were hosting the party at their beach mansion. They had two steel drum bands, a gorgeous food spread, etc. Unbeknownst to us, the attire for the party was "coastal casual" (we learned when we received the invite). Well, I wore a suit, no tie (Eidos AF blue fresco, and Inglese butcher stripe, if you must ask), and most people got the gist - cream sportcoats, etc. Well, one guy thought coastal casual = boat attire, and showed up in flip flops, a ball cap, a PFG fishing shirt, and cargo shorts. His wife was horrified.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, casual, right?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are some of the weirdest / most cryptic / funniest dress codes you’ve been served on an invite?

someone on slack mentioned “Summer Chic otherwise known as cocktail attire with a summer twist! Colors encouraged, ties optional.” 😳

I once got invited to a “beach formal” wedding…

"Country Club Chic" - The result was golfing clothing to nice dresses and jackets and ties.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our "Dress Code" sale is up !

dcjohnson

Reaction score
Are the cotton Manhattan fit Rotas really dry clean only or is it ok to machine wash and hang dry? I recall a discussion about washing Rotas in the past but I could be misremembering

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the cotton Manhattan fit Rotas really dry clean only or is it ok to machine wash and hang dry? I recall a discussion about washing Rotas in the past but I could be misremembering
I've never been a proponent of washing tailored trousers because they have a constructed waistband, made of layers of various materials (interlining) that can react differently to water and temperature. That's how you end up with puckering and wavy elements - when everything shrinks/moves in different ways.

Some simpler, softer construction waistbands, sure. But a pair of tailored trousers, cotton, linen or wool, I'd stick with giving those to the cleaners

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doppiaa tobacco linen- approved for most dress codes
14FFBFE7-9BA8-4419-90CA-31507538940B.jpeg
712C9DB8-0700-4098-B7A9-790543D52B94.jpeg

dcjohnson

Reaction score
I've never been a proponent of washing tailored trousers because they have a constructed waistband, made of layers of various materials (interlining) that can react differently to water and temperature. That's how you end up with puckering and wavy elements - when everything shrinks/moves in different ways.

Some simpler, softer construction waistbands, sure. But a pair of tailored trousers, cotton, linen or wool, I'd stick with giving those to the cleaners
Thank you. I was looking at the care tags on the pictures on the app. So the easy pants and garment dyed pants are machine washable, but all others are dry clean only? Just curious. Machine washing is ideal for my life (little kids) but not a deal breaker

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I was looking at the care tags on the pictures on the app. So the easy pants and garment dyed pants are machine washable, but all others are dry clean only? Just curious. Machine washing is ideal for my life (little kids) but not a deal breaker
Yes, the garment-dyed and garment-washed pieces use different interlinings (they call those styles "RotaSport") and can go in the wash. They do tend to fit smaller though (washed and shrunk)

mina262

Reaction score
Anyone with those jacquard 3sixteen shorts can comment on how they like them?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with those jacquard 3sixteen shorts can comment on how they like them?
I like them, went tts. It's a very thick, roomy short but not terribly hot. I've been wearing them paired with the top for a summer setup vibe

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads